Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunday Unlimited Gold Results (Unofficial)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sunday Unlimited Gold Results (Unofficial)

Pretty significant victory for September Fury -- the first winner outside the Holy Trinity for 20 years! That 481.619 goes in the books as the second fastest race record, barely squeaking past Rare Bear's '91 speed but short of Skip and Dago's 487.938 in '03. Strega's best is 469.948. Could be a new marshall in town . . .

Be interesting to see this year's lap charts -- anyone know of a source online?

Comment

Yes, SF is the new Emperor it seems.

I heard that the crew (Kerch I would guess) kept telling Mike to back off once Strega maydayed, and he kept saying, "Sorry, I cannot hear you..."

Comment

Sorry, but you cannot compare current results directly with that previous race record, as they lengthened the corse without moving any pylons. You must calculate for the fudge factor.

Comment

Agreed that numerous course changes over the years have made "records" an apples-and-oranges frame of reference, but there isn't much else that works for comparison, either. A good head-to-head race is pretty rare, but there's always plenty of room for dreaming and debate. That's what the other 364 days are good for!

"Just wait until next year!"

Comment

They lengthened the course without moving pylons because it was realized that the previous measurement was from pylon to pylon in straight lines,without regard for the arc factor that a raceplane will follow while turning the course! Therefore actual speeds were greater than posted before the re-measurement...
            "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by r_willy
              Could be a new marshall in town . . .
              Same Marshall ( Kerch)

Different Squad Car ( S. F.)

Kerch is the man, regardless if its a "V" or an "O"

Comment

What amazed me was all wek long Mr. Brown would take that Fury out and run it fast, then come back with a clean airplane. No oill, no exhaust streaks. A nice, tight engine compared to the bear and some others.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                  What amazed me was all wek long Mr. Brown would take that Fury out and run it fast, then come back with a clean airplane. No oill, no exhaust streaks. A nice, tight engine compared to the bear and some others.
                  In past years they'd open the cowling immediately after a Gold race. They didn't do that yesterday. That says something about the preparation and systems in Sept Fury.

That R-3350 sounds like no other. What a monster!!!

Comment

Originally posted by r_willy
                    Agreed that numerous course changes over the years have made "records" an apples-and-oranges frame of reference, but there isn't much else that works for comparison, either. A good head-to-head race is pretty rare, but there's always plenty of room for dreaming and debate. That's what the other 364 days are good for!

"Just wait until next year!"
                    It is very easy to convert the speed back to an oranges- oranges comparison. All the speeds are calculated on the basis of time and distance. So as long as the pylons aren't moved (same course) all you have to do is go back and reverse the calculation (knowing the old distance used in the original calculation) to determine the time that was used in the original calculation and then use that time with the new RARA "approved" distance to get a "corrected" speed for comparison.

Speed = Distance/Time and Time = Distance/Speed

I think we beat this one to death back when RARA changed the course distance and got their magical 500 mph lap.
                    Joe

Comment

Glad to be of service. I've been lurking here since 2000 and thought I should contribute something for all the value I've gotten from AAFO over the years from all the posters (and especially Wayne, of course!).

Only 364 days...
                      Strega Fan

Comment

It is very easy to convert the speed back...
                        NOOOOO!
                        Not math! My head is too tired from last week.
                        We did beat this to death and buried it months ago.
                        All I know is they go FAST!
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Yeeeehaaaa!!!

Sea Fury's rule!!

Now, how many times have I seen folks saying the likes of...
                          'course you're never gonna lift the Gold trophy runnin' a Sea Fury'
                          ...well, the results speak for themselves - it looks like a pretty clean sweep for the Hawkers this year.

Nice result there for Czech Mate too

A big Thanks and Well Done to all the crews.
                          73's - Tequila Sunrise

Comment

I don't have my books here at work on morning break but has there been many years that there wasn't a Merlin engine in at least one of the first place Bronze, Silver, or Gold finishers?

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                              I said that all week...

When Kerch was with Tiger - Strega wins.
                              When Kerch was with Terry - Dago wins.
                              When Kerch is with MBrown - Fury wins.

Kerch is the man!
                              Kerch will be the first to tell you that he wasn't the sole person that made Sept Fury's win possible. It's the fine team of people that he has assembled. I watched and worked with many of them over the past two years. They are certainly a talented and dedicated bunch.

But, the most successful people in life are those that can harness talent and put them to work in their areas of expertise. Kerch certainly can do that.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X