Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some advice from the pros, please.

Originally posted by T. Adams
    As for UV filters, I'm in the camp of never used one, never will. There is just no way I will hang a cheap hunk of glass on a lense that cost thousands of dollars. Besides once you move up to the super tele's like the 300 f/2.8, and Victor's 500, they dont make filters for these front elements. They are too big. Use a lens hood all the time, and common sense, you don't need UV filters.
    I second that. Tim and another photog (some Nikon guy - Jeff from Seattle) convinced me to stop using mine last year and I got better stuff. You also don't run the risk (albeit rare) of getting reflections between the filter and the surface of the lens when light does manage to get past the lens hood.

Polarizers are better for static shots when you want to cut glare or have bluer sky. They're especially good if you're shooting through glass. My polarizer worked great for taking shots during a helicopter tour on Kauai this year.

Comment

Trust me on this. 42 years of professional photography... POL on planes, cars, and buildings, will make your pix award winners. You must buy the best glass available (Schneider) and if using auto focus "Circular" on the POL. You will still get the flares. As per the optical flat or UV, when you spend a great deal of money for a great lens, protect the front element. Scratch the filter not the lense. I work a lot of car shoots with 600mm and 1200mm canons always with opticals and POL's. A little personal hint... use the light source to dimension your subject. My favorite is "3/4 back cross". Expose for the shadow side.
      FYI: I have shot films that have won Emmeys and one that won an Acadamy Award. Good luck and good shooting!
      Tom
      Mystical Power

Comment

Originally posted by Race#21
        Trust me on this. 42 years of professional photography... POL on planes, cars, and buildings, will make your pix award winners. You must buy the best glass available (Schneider) and if using auto focus "Circular" on the POL. You will still get the flares. As per the optical flat or UV, when you spend a great deal of money for a great lens, protect the front element. Scratch the filter not the lense. I work a lot of car shoots with 600mm and 1200mm canons always with opticals and POL's. A little personal hint... use the light source to dimension your subject. My favorite is "3/4 back cross". Expose for the shadow side.
        FYI: I have shot films that have won Emmeys and one that won an Acadamy Award. Good luck and good shooting!
        Tom
        Tom, do you use POL when panning action shots? How do you control thed difference in lighting at the beginning and end of a pan? I'm totally curious as how I could use the POL that I do have, it's a circular and has to be dialed in for each lighting angle. Truthfully, I never really figured out how to dial it in.. IOW, I didn't really know what to look for when turning it around. It would be great to use for static stuff to be sure, especially when there are some clouds or shooting through plexi... Or.. when shooting through plexi, do you get the same effect that a pair of polarized sunglasses gives?..

I'm full of questions on POL's cause I did buy one.. though it only fits on one lens I own, I'd like to use it from time to time.

On the filters, I notice a lot less lens flare when shooting in non-optimum lighting situations.. notably, at Reno on the pylons in the afternoon with the sun nearly in your face...

Hey, if you're not gonna race Reno this year, come out anyway.. bring cameras!!!!! Bout time we got to stand together shooting!!!

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Emmys and Oscars, good grief?! I know I'm a punter, but this getting out of hand.

My personal opinion of polarizing filters is simple, you can't project stereo photos onto a screen without them!

Victor, if you can't be bothered to protect your 500, I'm afraid I shall have to confiscate it at Reno. Imagine spending a day in the Dust at Reno. Then, owing to luck or misfortune, you're standing behind the Bear when they light the fire. Next thing you know, all that dust is swimming in oil. You pull out a hanky and rub...we in manufacturing would refer to the resulting mix as polishing paste. I'll take a UV filter for reasons of protection, thank you very much.

As to my credentials, I know a guy named Oscar, but he's no prize. The quality of experience and knowledge on this board absolutely blows me away.
          No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
          http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini
            Emmys and Oscars, good grief?! I know I'm a punter, but this getting out of hand.
            I slept at a Holiday Inn once does that count for anything???
            Oh Oh... and I won a stuffed animal from one of those claw machines....
            Victor, if you can't be bothered to protect your 500, I'm afraid I shall have to confiscate it at Reno.
            Ah ... They don't make anything to place on the end of any of the big "L" glass. Fliters are internal... I spent four days in the dirt at PRS without any problems. Of course what do I know any way
            http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
            http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
              As for UV filters, I'm in the camp of never used one, never will. There is just no way I will hang a cheap hunk of glass on a lense that cost thousands of dollars. Besides once you move up to the super tele's like the 300 f/2.8, and Victor's 500, they dont make filters for these front elements. They are too big. Use a lens hood all the time, and common sense, you don't need UV filters.
              Yeah... what he said....
              http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                Tom, do you use POL when panning action shots? How do you control thed difference in lighting at the beginning and end of a pan? I'm totally curious as how I could use the POL that I do have, it's a circular and has to be dialed in for each lighting angle. Truthfully, I never really figured out how to dial it in.. IOW, I didn't really know what to look for when turning it around. It would be great to use for static stuff to be sure, especially when there are some clouds or shooting through plexi... Or.. when shooting through plexi, do you get the same effect that a pair of polarized sunglasses gives?..

I'm full of questions on POL's cause I did buy one.. though it only fits on one lens I own, I'd like to use it from time to time.

On the filters, I notice a lot less lens flare when shooting in non-optimum lighting situations.. notably, at Reno on the pylons in the afternoon with the sun nearly in your face...

Hey, if you're not gonna race Reno this year, come out anyway.. bring cameras!!!!! Bout time we got to stand together shooting!!!

Wayne
                Set the POL for the darkest sky and fire away. I am always panning the cars and this technique works perfect. Tom

Comment

Originally posted by race #21
                  Set the POL for the darkest sky and fire away. I am always panning the cars and this technique works perfect. Tom
                  Ahh....

I WILL try that...

Tom, I've got your card buried in my archive somewhere.. you up for a phone chat sometime?

I know you have always shyed away from the word "Interview" but hey, you're not racin this year, any chance we get inside (a bit) the head of one of the favorite T-6 racers??

"People Who Race:" Tom Campau

Sounds pretty good to me damnit!

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by race #21
                    On cars I like to make the windshield clear. In some cases the POL will allow you to highlight the reflections on the side of an auto or aircraft. If you want prize winning statics work the "magic" light of dawn and dusk (first and last light of the day). This is the time before sunrise and just after sunset. Some great flare opportunities also occur in the very low sun moments. If you find the glint shoot it. SOL moves faster than you can change a lens.
                    TC
                    Mystical Power

Comment

Working...
                    X