X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Critical Mass??

OK Wayne I'll bite-

On seeing Critical Mass back at Reno:

Hard to call, I know for certain that the old man is done racing CM. It was his deal, he had the drive and passion to make it happen. When he hung up his spurs, most of that went away. We were all very burned out. Those of you that have campaigned/crewed an unlimited gold racer understand what it takes 365 days a year to make it happen. When we won the T-6 gold race for the second time and traded Tinkertoy for the Sea Fury, all the T-6 guys said Wohoo, you go! The unlimited guys said "what are you crazy?" It's a lot of work. I have attached a recent picture of the aircraft. It has not flown since the return from Reno 2003. It has not run since we gave the prop back to the Bear folks a few months later. We do have a prop, and are talking about putting it together so we can run the motor. I don't know if CM will return or not, I do know that if it happens it won't be in the near future.

On me racing CM:

After we returned from Reno 2003 I was furloughed from my job at United and had to get a real job. I am fortunate that we have a strong family business that I could go to, but it severely limits my time off. My family is very important to me and I take my job seriously. There is precious little time off, and the prospect of taking 10 days to go to Reno is a non-starter right now, not to mention the work required to get the SF where to needs to be. That being said, things are getting better rather than worse, and I do find myself thinking about Reno from time to time. When I return, it will certainly be in a T-6 first. I would like to fly Race 10, the time may come, but in the meantime I have nothing to prove and my allegiance is to my family and my business.

On Inlets and such:

Bruce Boland designed the inlets, they are the same ones that were on the Super Corsair. You have to remember that we had just aborted the flight to the Phoenix 500 in 1996 due to high oil temps and we were desperate to solve the problem and get the oil temps where they should be. The inlets are a little overkill, but they do provide enough ram air to get 73" of boost coming down the chute. My feeling is that the fences really need to just go away, but the inlets are not THAT bad. After our first hot laps in 2000, Pete Law computed that we should be able to do 472 mph laps (on the old course). The only time we demonstrated that was in 2000 for the first lap or two, right before the engine blew up. It was so painful to fix, we were always a little gunshy about going back up to warp power after that. We did at times, but it was never quite as fast as in 2000. That was a good motor.
    I would really like to see the geardoors fit better as the first mod. They have simply been in the dirt too many times. They need to go in the dumpster. Sea Fury gear doors are not easy to come by... I would also like to see a proper canopy pulled. The waves in that one embarrass me. It happened when I was away in the Air Force and I claim less than no responsibility.

-Ken

Comment

The Picture
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Dwelle
        The Picture
        Well when/if it does ever happen you will always have the fans and support. Sounds like if it was ever a money deal you would have some support there too. Even though she has sat for some time now....... that is still one bad ass looking airplane!

Comment

Ken,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! I respect you guys a ton and am not afraid to say that Critical Mass was always my favorite to see win...

It just would have been TOO good to see her come in ahead of everyone, like FNG said, she's one bad A looking airplane!

I know your dad hung up his spurs but I gotta tell you, I could hang up my gear and feel that I've done about all that I need to after having rode with your dad last year at Nellis. Yea, that wasn't a race but you and I both know what was going through his head when I told him over the intercom "here comes Al" (sorry Al.... extra set of eyes, you know )

CM team ALL OF YOU, always a seriously class act! CM... nobody can say a Sea Fury ever looked more like a racer! I'm not sure ANY airplane can look more like a racer than that airplane!

Thanks again for sharing!

Wayne
          Attached Files
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

So I just gotta ask (I know if I have to ask) but how much would are we talking about to get her off your hands. I had heard around 650 k.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
              I know your dad hung up his spurs but I gotta tell you, I could hang up my gear and feel that I've done about all that I need to after having rode with your dad last year at Nellis. Yea, that wasn't a race but you and I both know what was going through his head. Wayne
              http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Vic,

Thanks a million for capturing the moment for me.. I know we traded a lot of shots back and forth during our wait for the really important air show acts to do their thing so we could be cut short to only three laps... (slight rant)

I'm not hooked to the right drive right now (I'm working on my laptop almost exclusively these days and work with two big USB2 HD's) or I'd return the favor...

That flight with Tom truly was a slice of my life that I'll savor forever.

Tom is one of my heroes in life, a real live walking talking HERO! A hell of a guy, great pilot and, well... Just a fun guy to be with. He went WAY to heck out of his way to get me in his airplane that Sunday at Nellis and I'll never forget him for it.

Thanks Tom and Thanks Victor for the rememberance!

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                  Interesting angle!

Comment

I'll toss in my thoughts as well.

Great to hear from you Ken, and I hope that the little voice of Reno calling you back to us gets a little louder and you do come. A few years ago I had the chance to talk to Tom over at the Grass Valley Airfest. He's one heck of guy, and my hat is off to him.

Lonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Dwelle
                      OK Wayne I'll bite-

On me racing CM:

After we returned from Reno 2003 I was furloughed from my job at United and had to get a real job. I am fortunate that we have a strong family business that I could go to, but it severely limits my time off. My family is very important to me and I take my job seriously. There is precious little time off, and the prospect of taking 10 days to go to Reno is a non-starter right now, not to mention the work required to get the SF where to needs to be. That being said, things are getting better rather than worse, and I do find myself thinking about Reno from time to time. When I return, it will certainly be in a T-6 first. I would like to fly Race 10, the time may come, but in the meantime I have nothing to prove and my allegiance is to my family and my business.

-Ken
                      Ken

I can totally relate to what you said.I have 3 kids and a wife and I work for the family business.I have no time for extra stuff such as flying.
                      It's my choice and I have no regrets

Comment

Thank you Sven, neither do I.

Comment

Hey Ken,

Tim Nell here. Just getting caught up on all this. Best of luck with everything but it's sure not nearly as much fun on these message boards if you guys are sitting out.

All is well here (FedEx, Memphis) and am glad to see things are good in Cali.

TN

Comment

Hi Tim-

Give me a shout when you get a chance. 530.305.2382.

-Ken

Comment

I've never thought to ask, but how did Tinkertoy get back with the Dwelle family. The last I remember some Doctor in Texas (I think) had it as Race #37. So now it carries #7 again?

Neal

Comment

jim bennett decided to retire from racing and then started to play more golf than fly so he decided to sell it. I have not talked to him since I left texas, but when he decided to sell im sure he called tom, and ....... it was on its way back to california.
                                bob burns
                                ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                                "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Working...
                                X