Red Bulls P-38

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red Bulls P-38

Anybody remember seeing Chuck Lyford do the routine in Larry Blumer's P-38 back in the late 60's?

Comment

As far as the first test flight, Steve Hinton having the most time in P-38s of any current pilot would have to be on the short list of who to call in for the job, but Nelson Ezell himself is a TOP notch piolt. He has flown a whole bunch of warbirds, and he may do the test flying himself. At any rate I know that Nelson and Red Bull are going to take good care of this GREAT warbird/racer.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
        Anybody remember seeing Chuck Lyford do the routine in Larry Blumer's P-38 back in the late 60's?
        Yes,
        It was at Orange County International Raceway and he launched from El Toro. He took off and did a couple maneuvers and then landed with some type of mechanical problem. I remember it had a smoke system, which is interesting for the type. Is that the same airplane Revis Sermon flew at Reno '70?
        Bob Herendeen and Art Scholl flew off of the OCIR drag strip.

Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris McMillin
          Yes,
          It was at Orange County International Raceway and he launched from El Toro. He took off and did a couple maneuvers and then landed with some type of mechanical problem. I remember it had a smoke system, which is interesting for the type. Is that the same airplane Revis Sermon flew at Reno '70?
          Bob Herendeen and Art Scholl flew off of the OCIR drag strip.

Chris...
          When Chuck did the demo's in it, it was painted in yellow and black and called "Bardahl Lightning". Later, Larry painted it as "Scrapiron IV", which was the name of Larry's WWII mount when he pulled the hat trick and made 'ace in a day'. Larry used to keep it at Thun Field in Puyallup. He brought it to Reno in '71, I think, and raced it.

Different plane than Revis Sermon's--his one was the desert camo job, right?

Comment

Revis Sermon's was "Skatterbrain Kid"

This site tracks the history of all Lockheed P-38 Lightnings that survived military service.

There are pictures in Bill Johnson's "Airshow" book of Chuck Lyford doing acro in the P-38 at Abbottsford I believe.

I think both those P-38's were at Reno in 71? I am sure Scrap Iron ws there....you remember them right Brad? We were young GEEKS then-
            Now we are old geeks.
            Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
            RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Working...
            X