Time for New Clothes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for New Clothes!

Maybe it's just me but I find it a bit egotistical that he would even ask you to paint the airplane in his colors, let alone ask multiple times. Honestly, I much preferred the previous scheme, weathering and all. That's not to say it looks bad now, I'd still very much enjoy watching it do its' thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Shaba
      My reply was not directed at you but to Blue Foam.
      Good point, and many people and test pilots share this opinion. I respect that, however, I believe Yeager deserves to be a little arrogant.

I have yet to meet a humble pilot.

Some impress me more than others. After 30 years as a flight test engineer most impress me much less. Lots of pilots were capable of Yeager's accomplishments, lots of them died when he didn't. I don't know how good he really is in the grand scheme of things. I do know that when I got the chance to discuss the handling qualities of the MiG-15 on approach with him, he was informative and apreaciative of the issues that a non-test pilot would have. He has a keen grasp of the interface between the feel from the stick and the theory that creates it. Unlike most test pilots, he is capable of communicating with test engineers and technicians what is going on and figuring out why. Arrogance aside, this sets him above most pilots I have dealt with in my career.

Interestingly enough, a couple of "totally arrogant" pilots have been the best communicators and some of the "good ole boys" have been total dipsticks. There is no correlation.

Yes, I found Chuck to be a bit quietly contemptuous of lesser mortals. I would never have kept my head on the X-1A flight after it was bashed into the canopy and I had to recover from an inverted flat spin. Few would have. Arrogant? That would mean confidence without competance. In my experience, I have known many, many more pilots whose confidence was farther out of proportion to their competance.

On the paint scheme, it's not copywrighted and anyone can paint their aircraft any way they want.
      Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Originally posted by Shaba
        I also find it odd that some of these warbird owners will paint their airplanes the same as another warbird. There were thousands of these airplanes made and you cannot find another scheme?
        Amen to that. With all the choices you've got out there the same 3 or 4 fighter groups get chosen most every time. And in certain cases, the exact same plane.

As for the good Yeager, there was recently a discussion about him on a different forum, and one post went like this...

Yes, when I met him he heard my accent and the first thing out of his mouth was "When I left England at the end of WW2 I hated the English more than I hated the Germans". And he didn't say it as a joke either.

Anyway I sensibly refrained from mentioning what one of his WW2 contemporaries told me...

"See the thing you need to remember is that there was a genuine fear of the sound barrier. There was a very real possibility that it was impenetrable for an aircraft, and anyone that tried to break the barrier would be killed. So next time you see Yeager acting all arrogant, keep one word on your mind... "expendable". "
        T J

Comment

Hey King is there any chance that those of us sitting up in the Frio at Concan this weekend can get a nice couple of Mustang passes up and down the river?

I know it will be highly appreciated. I can also only imagine the sound of that Merlin in those canyons.

The airplane looks great by the way. Who did the paint?

Comment

The airplane will be here, but no-one will be here to fly her. But that would sound cool through the canyon! Where ya staying, Frio Country, Neals, etc. ?

Jim Miller Aircraft Paint.

Comment

Well I tried at least....We are staying at Frio Country in one of the houses across the river. Its my second time to go and I absolutely can't wait. Last year we had two T-1s come buzzing through and their sound was AWESOME....they don't sound like anything at an airport but in those canyons it came alive.

The airplane looks great. Good luck at Oshkosh with her. Wish I could run by the airport there in Uvalde to catch a glimpse of her but I'm riding with some folks who aren't as nuts about this stuff as I am.

Comment

We sold our house there a couple of years ago. Nice place, but too many people now.

T-1s, T-38s and a few others use the canyon area as a low altitude training route.

Tell ya what, I am in the middle of some flight testing on a new Citation modification and if we are flying this weekend I will try and make a run over the river for ya. Not guaranteeing anything, but better than nothing.

Comment

Out of paint.....................still needs wheel wells done, and will finish up soon!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Arrogance is flying an experimental airplane with a known medical issue. It is also a violation of military regs and simple common sense. Had Yeager had a problem that required the unlimited use of his body, it may have been disastrous for him and possible the program. Fortunately for him, he was LUCKY and was the first recorded man to break the speed of sound.

I have heard someone once overheard Gabreski put Yeager in his place (after Yeager was expounding on his many accomplishments during WWII) by stating "Chuck, we killed all the really good pilots before you got there!"

There is no doubting Yeager has skills. But his arrogance is more noteworthy as far as I am concerned.

His comments about the tragic death of Crossfield were also out of line. To condemn Crossfield for his "arrogance" was a bit hypocritical as far as I am concerned.

I think when Yeager takes his final checkride, he will be remembered among pilots and those that met him, for the sound barrier and his arrogance. Not much of a legacy if you ask me.

King...nice bird......let me know when you get tired of the paint scheme and I will direct you to some of the other lessor known pilots who also fought the war and went on to have successful careers.

Comment

Originally posted by King
                      Out of paint.....................still needs wheel wells done, and will finish up soon!
                      It looks really nice.
                      It now looks like every other restored Mustang around. It can't be determined from any other one at a glance and it sure was well known and recognizeable before.
                      But, it looks really nice.
                      Chris...

Comment

When I said you have a huge problem already, and put the initials CY beside it, I was referring to my experience with CY. I can't think of many people who have spent more than a few minutes with him that do not have a Chuck Yeager story. It is rare to find someone that will go out of their way and waste their own time to make someone feel like s**t, so he is a rare find. His own peers find his actions distasteful. (I can back it up with names and their opinions, but I will not do that here) One quote that sums it all up goes like this, though I know of many more. "Would you like to fly in our TBM?" Answer, "Why would I want to fly in that piece of s**t." I am not directing any of this at the people having their airplane painted up as "Glamourous Glen III". I just get tired of those who are treated like gods when they do not deserve it. There are tens of thousands of Americans who are true heroes and ask for no special treatment. Sorry if this offends anyone. Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by chuck
                          When I said you have a huge problem already, and put the initials CY beside it, I was referring to my experience with CY. I can't think of many people who have spent more than a few minutes with him that do not have a Chuck Yeager story. It is rare to find someone that will go out of their way and waste their own time to make someone feel like s**t, so he is a rare find. His own peers find his actions distasteful. (I can back it up with names and their opinions, but I will not do that here) One quote that sums it all up goes like this, though I know of many more. "Would you like to fly in our TBM?" Answer, "Why would I want to fly in that piece of s**t." I am not directing any of this at the people having their airplane painted up as "Glamourous Glen III". I just get tired of those who are treated like gods when they do not deserve it. There are tens of thousands of Americans who are true heroes and ask for no special treatment. Sorry if this offends anyone. Chuck
                          And like I said, alot of thought and discussions went on concerning how we would paint this aircraft. I have heard all of the stories and seen some of his bite. But one thing I can truly say for the man is that he is very gracious to the common folk, so to speak. He treats our crew better than any other pilot I have ever seen. This spring, I took a bunch of pictures of him with people that wanted a photo. The only time he smiled in the photos was with our crew chief, crew members and fueler. He spent most of his free time hanging out around them and the airplanes, away from the hoopla of the "rich" airplane owners and thier wives.

Comment

Since this has become a CY story thread, I guess that I will have to quit lurking and enter my one and only CY experience. The Air Museum was having one of their Fighter Ace events with CY in attendance. He was pretty much totally arrogant towards everyone, including aces with a lot more kills than he. There was one moment, however, that I will never forget. CY was sitting at the head table when a little boy, probably about 10, went up to him to ask for his autograph. You could see, by the look in his eyes, that the kid was approach an idol of his. CY rudely told him to get lost, that he was too busy (doing nothing) to bother with him. The little boy walked away visibly heartbroken.

That one event formed my opinion of CY and I don't think anything will ever change it. Talk about an A##H###.........

Comment

I've been around them all @ age 74 & the real heroes don't brag about it. I'll name a few Bud Anderson who flew "OLD CROW",MarionCarl, Marine pilot who flew twice as many aircraft as CY and ended up as a Major Gen. and the countless others who flew in WW2 on both sides. CY just happened to be in the right place & the right time. Read what "Pappy Boyington" said in his BAA BAA Black Sheep book Quote:"You show me a hero & I'll show you a bum. Look at Randy Cuningham another hero.
                              Lockheed Bob
                              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Another of the kindest, most humble people I've ever met is Bob Goebel, who flew "The Flying Dutchman" in WWII and amassed 11 kills. He also wrote the book "Mustang Ace", which is an excellent read. He used to come to Reno every year, and I had the pleasure of speaking to him on 2 occasions. What a true gentleman.

Sadly, Yeager will go down as the Ty Cobb of WWII fighter aces: all the talent and accomplishments one could ever ask for, and not a true friend in the world to share them with. He'll come to regret that very soon.

SA

Comment

Working...
                                X