Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for New Clothes!

Originally posted by MLenoch
    Did the owner get permission to paint it in Yeager's colors?
    Vlado -

Why would someone need to obtain "permission" to paint their aircraft in a certain scheme??

Comment

Doing historical research for paint work is fun.
      Glad to hear of your success!
      VL

Comment

You have one huge problem already. CY

Comment

Nice, can't wait to take some pics of her at Oshkosh.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
            Vlado -

Why would someone need to obtain "permission" to paint their aircraft in a certain scheme??
            It's copyrighted!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck
              You have one huge problem already. CY
              What's that?

Comment

Originally posted by King
                It's copyrighted!
                I'm still stretching to figure out under what legal precedent that falls. I can't see where Yeager could possibly claim to have copyright or ownership of the paintjob on what was a government-owned aircraft that was flown by a sworn military officer performing duties under government orders. The aircraft was named and the noseart was painted by someone who was in the process of performing duties while on orders in military service.

If I take a camera with me on a military flight, and I snap some photos of my wingman, I can not sell those photographs for a profit because of exactly that same reason -- I'm a military officer, accomplishing flight under military orders and the photo was taken while accomplishing military duties. There are other areas where this is true, too and I've had a JAG explain this to me in explicit detail.

While it would be more money than its worth, I think that would be a fun case to take to court because I think he's wrong and can't claim ownership of a military paintjob.

Comment

There is some form of legal protection for the scheme and name, and alot of people have learned not to cross that line.

Alot of background work went on for us to do this scheme. This was not the scheme we originally set out to do. Actually, we were more than happy with what we had, but things change.

Comment

There is some form of legal protection for the scheme and name, and alot of people have learned not to cross that line.

Alot of background work went on for us to do this scheme. This was not the scheme we originally set out to do. Actually, we were more than happy with what we had, but things change.
                    Well, depending on the originator, I would personally defer to their approval out of respect. However, if the originator was no one of note, I wouldn't give a damn. In the case of Gen. Yeager, I would fall on the cautous side of that line.

Although I have met him 4 times, the conversation that stands out was 2002 at ACL, when we discussed the handling qualities of MiG-15's on approach. This was right after my first flight in one, and I decided that it was the best aircraft that I had ever flown between 200 and 400 KIAS. Below 200, it's a skate. I told him he could have it between 140 and 110 depending on weight on approach. He laughed and replied that's why he filled the cockpit with charges to blow himself out the first time he flew it.

If it was his paint job, I'd seek his approval. Legal ownership not withstanding.
                    Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Foam
                      Well, depending on the originator, I would personally defer to their approval out of respect. However, if the originator was no one of note, I wouldn't give a damn. In the case of Gen. Yeager, I would fall on the cautous side of that line.

If it was his paint job, I'd seek his approval. Legal ownership not withstanding.
                      They were ALL noteworthy. I can count plenty of men who outscored and out flew Yeager but are lesser known yet they do not deserve the same respect as Yeager does regarding "his" airplane and its scheme?

I too have met Yeager and countless other aces and can tell you that I was not impressed by him. He was arrogant even in the presence of men who racked up a much higher tally.

I respect the man for his service but he does not garner any "special" treatment just because people know his name. Take away the speed of sound (which is still in debate) and he would be a virtual unknown, like thousands of others.

I agree with Randy, paint the airplane and let the good General come after you.

I also find it odd that some of these warbird owners will paint their airplanes the same as another warbird. There were thousands of these airplanes made and you cannot find another scheme?

Comment

Will it be at Oshkosh with Chuck Y??
                        Thx.
                        VL

Comment

Originally posted by MLenoch
                          Will it be at Oshkosh with Chuck Y??
                          Thx.
                          VL
                          It will be at Oskkosh, have not heard if Yeager is going to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaba
                            They were ALL noteworthy. I can count plenty of men who outscored and out flew Yeager but are lesser known yet they do not deserve the same respect as Yeager does regarding "his" airplane and its scheme?

I too have met Yeager and countless other aces and can tell you that I was not impressed by him. He was arrogant even in the presence of men who racked up a much higher tally.

I respect the man for his service but he does not garner any "special" treatment just because people know his name. Take away the speed of sound (which is still in debate) and he would be a virtual unknown, like thousands of others.

I agree with Randy, paint the airplane and let the good General come after you.

I also find it odd that some of these warbird owners will paint their airplanes the same as another warbird. There were thousands of these airplanes made and you cannot find another scheme?
                            You didn't read my above comments very closely.

We did not set out to paint this Mustang in the General's colors.....................he has asked us over the last two years to paint it this way. At out last FAST clinic this spring, he again asked us to do this and the decision was made to go ahead and do it.

Comment

You didn't read my above comments very closely.

We did not set out to paint this Mustang in the General's colors.....................he has asked us over the last two years to paint it this way. At out last FAST clinic this spring, he again asked us to do this and the decision was made to go ahead and do it.
                              King,

My reply was not directed at you but to Blue Foam.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaba
                                King,

My reply was not directed at you but to Blue Foam.
                                Roger........

Comment

Working...
                                X