Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 70's and 80's race photos link

Originally posted by jarrodeu
    I believe that it is the Whittingtons P-51H with the long delayed experimental prop from Germany that did not work so well. I could be wrong though.

Jarrod
    2 P-51Gs were built, one was sent to England (and scrapped after testing). The one in the US was tested with the 5 blade and found to be unstable. The 5 blade was built by Rotol in England. The same company that made the 5 bladed props for the Griffin Spit but the Griffin rotates the opposite direction from the Merlin.

The US P-51G was saved from the scrapper by an observant John Morgan as he saw it in the back of a truck bound for the scrap yard while driving on an LA freeway. He was able to buy it on the spot and has been "restoring" it ever since (decades). I wish him the best of luck and hope that more cubic dollars are found.

The plane in the picture is indeed the Whittington P-51H. One of only two "flyable". Mike Coutches has the other. I'm not sure the Whittington's has flown in quite some time. Coutches flys his often. I believe there are only 5 Hs in existence. The prop on the H in the photo is the G prop and I believe Morgan now has it. Whittington's H has a 4 blader now.
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Ahhhhh......

Jr. Geek
      Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
      RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Originally posted by RandyGoss75
        Ahhhhh......

Jr. Geek
        You guys should tally up your geek moments.

Jarrod

Comment

And GREAT shot of the nose of the REAL Precious Metal! :-)

Charter Member Geek #2

Comment

Working...
          X