X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aerochia NXT

Originally posted by Dash
    Blue Thunder only has one seat.
    Blue Thunder may have removed the rear seat but the Thunder Mustang kit is a two place tandem. Most of them that I've seen do have a minimal rear seat.

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Right you are Wayne. The area in Blue Thunder were a seat would be is use for Top Secret go fast equipment
      As for the Thunder Mustangs that do have a back seat and how comfortable they are... we would just need to ask Bill
      Attached Files
      Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
      My Photos
      My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer
        NXT or not, for sport class it must have two or more seats.
        I should have stated this more clearly. As I understand it, the sport class rules require the aircraft to be a two place (or more) design. Whether or not the second seat must be installed, or if that space can be used for something else, I'm not certain of. I do know that more than one of the sport class planes fly with "stuff" where the other seat would normally be.

Comment

I should have stated this more clearly. As I understand it, the sport class rules require the aircraft to be a two place (or more) design. Whether or not the second seat must be installed, or if that space can be used for something else, I'm not certain of. I do know that more than one of the sport class planes fly with "stuff" where the other seat would normally be.
          There is nothing in current Sport Class rules that requires a second seat - pilot or passenger. The second seat is merely a byproduct of the available kit airplanes that are out there to race today. This does not preclude anybody from developing a single-seat kit, sell five of them, and go racing.

The single seat NXT with the big engine and prop is legal for sport class - provided they adhere to the possible rule change that might be coming (1000 cubes).

Bill M.

Comment

The rules are posted on the Sport Class web site, if you want to check for yourself. Single place looks OK, matter of fact, a Cassutt should be legal....

The question on Andy's mods will be whether the airplane is altered too much from the kit design, to call it the same airplane.

One of the competitors (at least), is determined, not to allow it to race. We will see...

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
              One of the competitors (at least), is determined, not to allow it to race. We will see... Paul
              A Super Sport or 1,000 Inch class is the solution here. It helps to preserve the intent of the Sport Class, to draw from and encourage new kit designs, while allowing radical evolution without requiring the roll-out period of a 5-kit sale timeline.

On the other hand, the new Aerochia mod is indisputably based on an NXT. I'm sure the owner would be more than happy to produce canceled checks for the original kit. Would the class really want to stifle modifications?
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Bottom Rudder
                There is nothing in current Sport Class rules that requires a second seat - pilot or passenger. The second seat is merely a byproduct of the available kit airplanes that are out there to race today. This does not preclude anybody from developing a single-seat kit, sell five of them, and go racing.

The single seat NXT with the big engine and prop is legal for sport class - provided they adhere to the possible rule change that might be coming (1000 cubes).
                I rescind all reference to two or more seats; Bill M is abolutely correct per the rules. (Am voluntarily giving up my next Birthday for not reading the rules.)

I am a bit curious as to how kit "modifications" will interpreted over time. The rule, "Any significant airframe modifications to eligible kit built aircraft must be approved by the Pilot Standards/Committee prior to entry." is entirely subjective. I guess if the interpretation is, and remains - Start with a kit, the rest is up to the builder. - then its fair. Any other interpretation could become a huge bucket of worms.

Comment

The rule, "Any significant airframe modifications to eligible kit built aircraft must be approved by the Pilot Standards/Committee prior to entry." is entirely subjective...
                  Makes it interesting when the committee are also active competitors

Comment

The rule, "Any significant airframe modifications to eligible kit built aircraft must be approved by the Pilot Standards/Committee prior to entry." is entirely subjective. I guess if the interpretation is, and remains - Start with a kit, the rest is up to the builder. - then its fair. Any other interpretation could become a huge bucket of worms.
                    I could be wrong, but this might have more to do with the safety aspect of the modifications rather than what they are or what they do.

To wit: Darryl's Legacy is so far away from a stock Legacy that if you flew both, you'd be very surprised. Why are those mods ok (twin turbos, no flaps, different aero config, prop, ADI...), and making an NXT a single seater not ok? If the single seat NXT falls under the current or new rules that might be coming, so be it. It's called racing, right?

Originally posted by Apteryx
                    Makes it interesting when the committee are also active competitors
                    You ain't kidding, brother!

Comment

Along this same line.. suppose John Parker decided to go with some of the airframe mods that have proven to add much speed to the Mustang airframe?

Assuming, of course, that you could do something like a modified scoop, clipped canopy with turtledeck, on a TM...

Would he then be banned from racing his airplane?

The thing that's making the Sport Division so cool right now is the competition at the top. I certainly hope we don't see rules racing replace plain racing!

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                        I certainly hope we don't see rules racing replace plain racing!
                        RIGHT ON, WAYNER!!!

(Should that be "plane" racing, or did you mean "plain". Either one works...lol)

Comment

Rumor I heard in the pits last September was that DG was not racing #33 because he was up to his neck in a new, much faster airframe. Sounds to me like this is it.
                          Bill Garnett
                          InterstellarDust
                          Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

I have flown both the standard Legacy and the Super Legacy. They both have the same basic flight characteristics. The Super Legacy ( like Darryl's and a couple of others ) just has more performance. A pilot of a standard Legacy would have no problems safely flying a Super Legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell
                              Rumor I heard in the pits last September was that DG was not racing #33 because he was up to his neck in a new, much faster airframe. Sounds to me like this is it.
                              Funny, I heard he'd been bit HARD by the golfing bug. He was wearing a Titleist cap after all...

Comment

Originally posted by georgiacub
                                I have flown both the standard Legacy and the Super Legacy. They both have the same basic flight characteristics. The Super Legacy ( like Darryl's and a couple of others ) just has more performance. A pilot of a standard Legacy would have no problems safely flying a Super Legacy.
                                True... But how many pilots of a standard Legacy could race a Super Legacy and get all the speed and performance out of it?

Cruising at 220 knots and racing at 300 at 50 feet are very different animals.

I was just calling out there were some high end performance (and cost!) differences. Take care.

BM

Comment

Working...
                                X