X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aerochia NXT

Originally posted by BadIdea
    I think so Brain,
    But where are we going to get 400LBS of grease and a giant rubberband at this hour?
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
      Tipstall-
      Do you know who the engine designer is, or were there might be some info on the specs?

Thanks,
      Paul
      I forgot the gentleman's name, but he was at Oshkosh with this motor and a 6 cylinder version that puts out some incredible horsepower or its given weight. Evidently, he is an inventor who does proof of concept designs for new technology to agencies like NASA. The 12 cylinder you see was slated to go in the NXT.

Neat engines to look at up close.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara
        I forgot the gentleman's name, but he was at Oshkosh with this motor and a 6 cylinder version that puts out some incredible horsepower or its given weight. Evidently, he is an inventor who does proof of concept designs for new technology to agencies like NASA. The 12 cylinder you see was slated to go in the NXT.

Neat engines to look at up close.

Michael
        Did you see it run?
        Tom

Comment

No, I have not seen it run. Was the first time I saw the motor. They didn't run it onsite as far as I know.

Michael

Comment

Ok,
            Can't stand it .............We are looking at the future!
            This engine is capable of 1,000HP+ and can run on more then one fuel type. The new moter & mods by andy and crew are enough to cause some people to try and outlaw this racer........ If it makes it to Reno it will dominate!..............Paul, I'll fill you in at Reno this September.

[COLOR=DarkRed]**moderator note: Please register so your posts will shwo without review. It's free. It's easy!**[/COLOR=DarkRed]

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara
              No, I have not seen it run. Was the first time I saw the motor. They didn't run it onsite as far as I know.

Michael
              Are there any photos of this engine? I've been following this thread and have eagerly anticipated any hard info. I assume it is two banks of six cylinders horizontally opposed on a common crankshaft and fuel injection from the IO-12 designation. Is it two IO-320s mated together(640ci per sport class rules)? Is it normally aspirated?

Comment

This is from Tipstall's post, #22 in this thread.
                Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Flyguy161
                  website down?

Comment

Non boosted std. rule of ..... 2 1/2 hp per cu in at one atmospnere ='s 1375 hp for the 550. Or 1625 hp for a io720 that has its disp decreased to rules limited to 650.

the total piston area rule ....thermodymamics advantage of a 8 piston motor may not be enough to compensate enough with such an extra weight penality that of an io720 's weight hagning out in front in lieu of lighter 6 bangers

BM

Comment

the total piston area rule ....thermodymamics advantage of a 8 piston motor may not be enough to compensate enough with such an extra weight penality that of an io720 's weight hagning out in front in lieu of lighter 6 bangers

BM[/QUOTE]

Thought you might find it interesting that a twin turbo 540 wieghs one pound less than a stock 720. 497 lbs. That includes the most enormous starter I have ever seen on the 720. Replace the 702 starter and swap the induction box for carbon one and I see the 720 wieghing 50lbs. less.
                      http://www.kevineldredge.com
                      http://www.myairport.com
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Relentless

BM
                        Thought you might find it interesting that a twin turbo 540 wieghs one pound less than a stock 720. 497 lbs. That includes the most enormous starter I have ever seen on the 720. Replace the 702 starter and swap the induction box for carbon one and I see the 720 wieghing 50lbs. less. [/QUOTE]
                        Are you gonna put the 8 cyl engine in Relentless?

Jarrod

Comment

Plead guilty to (DYHBP)..... "do your homework b4 posting".... I have a 11 1/2 size D mouth rith now.

Million moons ago., had a ga mechanic / friend.. rave about the new 8 or 6 cylinger /// geared ??? motors..... then he po po'ed them as too big / heafvy yadda yadda.

I guess we will be seeing downsized motors in the sport class future.

oops 1.... the ga guy had an opinion... his right

oops two.... my 11 1/2 shoe fits fine.... 20 or so years later....

BM

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
                            Thought you might find it interesting that a twin turbo 540 wieghs one pound less than a stock 720. 497 lbs. That includes the most enormous starter I have ever seen on the 720. Replace the 702 starter and swap the induction box for carbon one and I see the 720 wieghing 50lbs. less.
                            Good point. But if you boost both, the 720, or stroked up to 780 cubes, which Lycoming IS offering, the 780 at say 3,200 rpm and running at 70-80 inches of boost would be a monster, in spite of the weight penalty. Using the same hp/ci that Race 33 is getting (assuming 800 hp), a blown 780 would put out over 1,100 hp! A little more wing would help with the weight, but power solves a lot of problems.
                            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                            World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Who said race 33 is making 800 hp?
                              Tom

Comment

New pics on the Aerochia site...

That is going to be one fast NXT...

Comment

Working...