• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NXT down in New Mexico

Originally posted by zaqwrx
    The only shot I got of it last year ...
    Excellent!

Sad news, but I'm glad Kevin is ok.
    I had talked to Kevin not too long ago and he was planning on having two NXT's at Reno so I'm pretty sure he will be rounding the pylons this year!

http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Thankfully Kevin is safe.

Looks like Engine issues... According to the Relentless website the engine was just replaced with the TSIO-540-NXT. It seems that NXT is one tough airframe and Kevin as a hell of a pilot.

NTSB Identification: DEN06LA058
      14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
      Accident occurred Tuesday, April 11, 2006 in Glenwood, NM
      Aircraft: Eldredge NXT, registration: N42XT
      Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On April 11, 2006, approximately 1000 mountain daylight time, an Eldredge NXT single-engine experimental airplane, N42XT, sustained substantial damage during a forced landing at the Glenwood-Catron County Airport (E94), Glenwood, New Mexico. The commercial pilot, who was the sole occupant and registered owner of the airplane, was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and a visual flight rules flight plan was filed for the Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. The flight departed Las Cruces, New Mexico, and was en route to Palmdale, California.

According to the pilot, during cruise at 12,500 feet, the airplane encountered moderate turbulence. Shortly thereafter, the pilot noticed a smell of smoke and then began to observe a haze in the cockpit. Initially, the pilot thought the airplane was on fire, and he declared a "mayday" to air traffic control. The pilot then shut down the engine, feathered the propeller, and initiated a forced landing to E94. Due to oil on the windshield, the pilot's visibility was reduced during the approach and landing. During the landing, the airplane departed the dirt runway surface and impacted rocks and terrain.

Examination of the airplane by the pilot and a local mechanic revealed the left main landing gear was collapsed, and the right main landing gear was separated. The left wing forward spar was destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyguy161

Examination of the airplane by the pilot and a local mechanic revealed the left main landing gear was collapsed, and the right main landing gear was separated. The left wing forward spar was destroyed.
        so.........can it be fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by SCEPTER
          so.........can it be fixed?
          Anything can be fixed with enough money

Jarrod

Comment

I do not think Kevin will have a hard time finding parts, since he makes them now...

Comment

While this could have been a much worse bummer, it is still quite a bummer. I talked to Kevin at SnF and he was really pumped about Reno... got me all excited for this year's trip. Let's hope for speedy repairs or replacement.
              _________
              -Matt
              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Working...
              X