C5 A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removed Post

Isotsha... I had to remove your post until you can verify for me who owns those photos.. (the post, and photos are still available and can be returned if, for instance, they were US military photos which are normally considered in the public domain)

It is permissable to post links to the photos, or the website where they are located, but posting them on this site would be a copyright violation unless we have permission to do so...

Sorry.. hate to be picky but this is a very important issue.

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Removed Post

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
      Isotsha... I had to remove your post until you can verify for me who owns those photos.. (the post, and photos are still available and can be returned if, for instance, they were US military photos which are normally considered in the public domain)

It is permissable to post links to the photos, or the website where they are located, but posting them on this site would be a copyright violation unless we have permission to do so...

Sorry.. hate to be picky but this is a very important issue.

Wayne
      No problem Wayne. I got the pics from www.militaryphotos.net

Comment

Re: C5 A

i saw c5 i went oh no stevo!!!
        thank god your ok ..
        the jury is still out on me making it to marysville this year...are you going stevo?
        www.renosection3.com

Comment

I recall some years ago that a C-5 pranged while shooting landings at Clinton Sherman, Oklahoma. Can't recall if they were able to salvage it.

This accident at Dover was wierd. The fully loaded C-5 encountered duck strikes after takeoff, with failing power it circled around back to the runway it just departed, ran out of power, pancaked into the ground, dropping straight down, bounced one time and stopped just short of the approach. If you look up the photos you can see that there are no skid marks in the dirt. It literally fell out of the sky.

Len Ashburn
          Indianapolis

Comment

Hey Stevo,

Im enlisted Aircrew also, A Flight Engineer on UH-1N Huey's. Its good to see Aircrew on this site! Im glad everyone is OK out at Dover. Fly Safe
            -Erik

Comment

Here's the scuttlebutt from another message board:

Hi All

This has really turned fascinating. A good buddy of mine was a Stan Eval guy in the wing at Dover and still has connections. He gave me the current skinny on the crash--none of it official--until the board says so.

It was not a bird ingestion but a "reverser unlock" on the #2 engine that started this. They lost a C-5 with all aboard a few years back in Germany for the same cause. This crew however shut down the engine before an actual unstow took place. The airplane was well over 700K gross weight with FOB of over 300K. The airplane had the newest version of the C-5 flight deck with big panel glass. Unfortunately, only one of the three pilots was really comfortable with the new equipment and FMS.

The crew decided because of their weight to fly their approach to the longest runway, which unfortunately was only being served that day by a Tacan (fancy VOR for you civilian types) approach. They also decided to fly a full flap approach to keep the approach speed down. This isn't prohibited--just highly discouraged. The recommended flap setting for a three engine approach is Flaps 40. During the approach the crew became worried about not having enough power to fly a full flap approach and selected flaps 40--which they were now too slow for. Here's the point all you glass cockpit guys should sit up and take notice about. The one guy who was familiar with the new glass and FMS was also the one flying the aircraft. He became distracted inputting the new approach speed in the FMS. There was also some confusion about just who was flying the A/C while he had his head down updating the speed. Long story short--they got way slow and into the shaker, and actually stuck the tail into the trees and it departed the aircraft first. The nose pitched down hard and the nose and left wing impacted next snapping off the nose. Several cockpit occupants suffered spinal compression injuries. The guys sitting at the crew table behind the cockpit actually came to a stop with their legs dangling out over the ground.

The miracle of this was the left outboard fuel tank was broken open and none of that fuel managed to find something hot enough to ignite it and the other 300k. Again, a bunch of very lucky people.

So I guess there really is a reason we bitch at guys for hand flying and making their own MCP and FMS inputs.

I'll send on more stuff as I get it.

All the best
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

I just searched google for C-5 crashes and found a site that claimed there has been 6 crashes since 1970. That sounds less than perfect.

I remember watching a show on Galaxies a couple of years ago and I thought they mentioned something about the wings developing "stress" fractures in them, thus shortening the service life of the aircraft? Anybody know anything more about this.

Here is the link: http://www.chairforce.com/af101/fact-sheets/c5.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneDog
                  I just searched google for C-5 crashes and found a site that claimed there has been 6 crashes since 1970. That sounds less than perfect.

I remember watching a show on Galaxies a couple of years ago and I thought they mentioned something about the wings developing "stress" fractures in them, thus shortening the service life of the aircraft? Anybody know anything more about this.

Here is the link: http://www.chairforce.com/af101/fact-sheets/c5.htm
                  Yep. the planes received new wing center sections and more as a result.

This site provides very good history of the C-5 and it's problems/solutions:

It also mentions C-5 losses, but some were due to incidents on the ground, not crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneDog
                    I don't think anyone claimed C-5s had a perfect record, but based on how hard and long those airframes have flown it sounds like a good record to me.

Rob

Comment

Working here in the QA office at Travis, it takes such an amount of maintenance effort to keep them things flying and continuing supporting the mission where ever it may be. This mishap in no way diminishes the history or worthiness of the airframe.

Comment

Eric (or Stevo),

So how did the C-5 get the nickname of "Fred?"

Rob

Comment

F***ing Ridiculous Expenditure Disaster (FRED) E could be Expensive too.

I like the nickname "Screamin Demon" better

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                            F***ing Ridiculous Expenditure Disaster (FRED) E could be Expensive too.

I like the nickname "Screamin Demon" better
                            Thanks Eric. I figured it would be something appropriately "colorful."

Comment

I had always heard it as F**king Ridiculous Economic Disaster, either way these day's it's become more of a loveable type nickname and not all that derogatory. Besides, ask some of the kids flying her around these days and they wouldn't be able to tell you what it stood for.
                              Attached Files
                              Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                              My Photos
                              My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                                I had always heard it as F**king Ridiculous Economic Disaster, either way these day's it's become more of a loveable type nickname and not all that derogatory. Besides, ask some of the kids flying her around these days and they wouldn't be able to tell you what it stood for.
                                GREAT photo! That's how to project power -- and deliver it!!!
                                Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                                World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Working...
                                X