For the motor guys.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For the motor guys.

Diesels are really coming of age. I don't know if any of you have had a chance to be around one of the 24-valve common-rail injection Cummins diesels in the newer Dodge Ram pickups, but WOW. They don't smoke (and won't smell once the new lower-sulfur diesel fuel comes out next year) and they don't even sound like a diesel anymore. The common rail system allows full electronic control of the fuel injection cycle, completely independent of any mechanical injection pump driven by the cam or crank as in the old days. That allowed them to tailor the combustion profile so that the diesel "rattle" is eliminated (the injector squirts in a tiny "pilot" charge that starts burning before the main charge gets injected). The Audi diesel racer is presumably a close relative of the VW/Audi TDi engines, which are also common-rail diesels. Chrysler is bringing a relative of that engine to the US in the PT Cruiser and the new Dodge Caliber, and there are rumors of a v6 version for the bigger cars too.

The other wonderful thing about diesels is that you can boost the living snot out of them. Since there's no fuel present in the cylinder until its time for fire, there's no such thing as "detonation." There are guys running as much boost on Cummins Ram competitive pulling trucks as Dago Red ran (well, maybe almost as much)
    The only limit is bottom end strength- try that on one of the diesels that's derived from an industrial gas engine and you might fold a connecting rod.

The downside is that nowdays diesel costs more than premium unleaded

Comment

Originally posted by SCEPTER
      you mean like this....duramax to the max
      Looks like that last Cummins Dodge blew the Duramaxes into the next county....

Comment

my '03 dodge diesel is running 453hp & 1052 ftlbs torque

Comment

http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

VERY cool Victor! Too bad I can't squeeze one of those in the Grumman! All the best, RG
            Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
            RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
              I did a little searching and this is what I came up with...
              the Diamond DA42 Twin Star is listed as having a cruise speed @ 80% power of 172 ktas with a 12.5 gph (total) fuel burn. The engine in queston is a Centurion 1.7 turbo charged four cylinder in-line engine that is certified for the use of both jet fuel and automotive diesel.
              Hope that help a bit.
              172 kts @ 12.5 gph sounds good to me. I have been flying a DA 20 lately and it is quite a nice airplane. That 13:1 glide ratio is real nice during landing. Heck it even made me look good after not being in the left seat for over two years.

Comment

my '03 dodge diesel is running 453hp & 1052 ftlbs torque
                Holy Crap! What did you do to it? Do you move mountains just for fun?

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
                  Holy Crap! What did you do to it? Do you move mountains just for fun?

Jarrod
                  2 chips,lift pump,torque converter,intake.

I pull my 5th wheel.......to reno hehehe...and leave powerstokers and duramaxs in my smoke...

and I move mountains for work.(I sell dirt)

Comment

" and leave powerstokers and duramaxs in my smoke... "

And here lies the problem with diesels.....Whether the "clean" burn or the regular burn.....THEY STILL STINK and should be banned from anywhere anyone needs to breathe!

Comment

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931
                      THEY STILL STINK and should be banned from anywhere anyone needs to breathe!

ahhhh the smell of diesel in the morning

oh by the way diesel engines get better mpg and have more power

my durango gets 13 mpg and is a gutless p.o.s. If it had a 3.0 liter diesel engine it would have more torque and get at least 26mpg.

Comment

Oh, I don't know.
                        My '00 Ford Powerstroke gets about 15 mpg, empty or loaded (not great) but I tow a 30' 5th wheel around and climbing home to Reno up I-80 I can set the cruise at 65 and it just goes. Their not responsive and they are noisy and smelly, but they sure can PULL.
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

the powerstroke is a V8 diesel.Diesel burns slower than gas but at a higher btu.Diesels are more efficiant with a longer stroke and thats why they work better on inline motors such as the 5.9 cummins in my Dodge.
                          However your powerstroke still has more power than the gas v10 with better mpg.

Comment

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931
                            " and leave powerstokers and duramaxs in my smoke... "

And here lies the problem with diesels.....Whether the "clean" burn or the regular burn.....THEY STILL STINK and should be banned from anywhere anyone needs to breathe!

Even with the "stink," their harmful emissions are lower than similar-power gasoline engines. And when the new low-sulfur diesel fuel hits the market later this year, even the "stink" and smoke will be tremendously reduced. Almost all of the smell is due to sulfur in the fuel.

Comment

the powerstroke is a V8 diesel.Diesel burns slower than gas but at a higher btu.Diesels are more efficiant with a longer stroke and thats why they work better on inline motors such as the 5.9 cummins in my Dodge.
                              However your powerstroke still has more power than the gas v10 with better mpg.
                              I agree up to a point. Diesel does burn more slowly than gasoline, for a given cylinder pressure. But with direct-injection diesels, two things are really different from a spark-ignition engine:

1) the burn cycle is completely different. Instead of a short burn near piston TDC as in a spark-ignition engine, the burn is more like a blowtorch flame at the tip of the fuel injector, and it continues as long as the piston is moving downward. That's the key difference between the ideal diesel cycle (combustion at constant pressure as the cylinder volume increases) and the otto cycle (combustion at constant volume with a sharp rise in cylinder pressure, followed by expansion). Neither cycle is ideal in the real world because the Otto cycle burn takes a finite time and the piston does move during the burn, and the Diesel cycle doesn't truly maintain perfectly constant pressure, but the difference is important.

2) the other big difference is that you can boost a diesel to ungodly manifold pressure without worrying about detonation, because no fuel is present to detonate until the injector starts spraying. In fact the very early Cummins Dodges didn't even have a turbo wastegate- the turbo would boost as hard as the fuel available to the engine would drive it, and you could "hop up" that engine just by turning up the fuel delivery (later ones do have a wastegate and everything is computer controlled to better optimize the engine and reduce smoke and emissions, though). The only limits to the boost you can apply are really mechanical. You can boost it until a) the connecting rods fold, b) the pistons break or melt or main webs of the block break, or c) the head bolts stretch and a gasket blows. In light of all that, the picture below shows the fundamental reason why the Cummins has so much more power potential than the Powerstroke or Duramax even though it has less displacement (well, less than the old 444 CID Powerstroke and the Duramax anyway, the new Powerstroke is only 6 liters or so):

Comment

my brother has a '96 dodge diesel with twin turbos.He boosts over 70psi and has blow two head gaskets.He has over 500 hp and still gets 20mpg

Comment

Working...
                                X