• Show
Clear All

Re: Box Seat / RARA (SERTOMA) Ice Chest Delivery

2 words....supply and demand...

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
      Hattend --
      I think alot of people have these same questions.
      If you don't mind, Please post what you find out.
      Unless I misunderstood, the cooler fee will only be for coolers. There will be no charge for tables, chairs, etc.

I guess that makes sense since the cooler "tax" is only to supposedly offset vendor losses. If you aren't carrying food, there is no cost offset involved.

I got the above info when I called about RV parking.

Don

Comment

Ok, so if it really is "supply and demand" why not do the American free capitol society thing and put the service up for bid? If the non-profit organisation is so flippin' expensive, why not get some "profit" services involved? Send the service out for bid and go with the best for the least? I'm sure there's some money to be saved along with better/other services. Is RARA the only one that is allowed to make money here? I don't mean to slam anyone but the cooler fee hike because of "lost revenue at the snack bar" is just a stupid excuse. What do they expect when they charge $7.50 for a hot dog, and $7.00 for a beer, and then have a tip jar on the counter! (I have to say that the people behind the counter are usually extremely nice and I know they don't set the prices, so I usually do tip them) Hell, I'd bring a cooler in if they'd let me! I might be alone, but to me that just say's that the vendor (SERTOMA, I think. please correct me if I'm wrong) is saying they're gonna get their money come hell or high water. Reno has GOT to be a huge money maker for them already. I seriously can understand the rising cost of fuel and insurance etc. But I usually burn through $2,000 to $2,500 for an air racing weekend, and I don't even get a box seat. The folks in the boxes have to be paying a hell of a lot more on the event than I am. This seams more like a luxury tax. Certainly RARA can do more for the people that are paying the most to be there. Or at least raise the purse for the racers. The non-profit organisation needs to take note and lower their prices, or just don't get mad when people bring their own food and drinks in. Or just don't use the people that deliver the coolers, there's money to be saved there. Given the option of paying that much to have a cooler delivered, or saving the money and huffing it myself.......I think I'd be borrowing the next door neighbors kid's Radio Flyer for the weekend and give him/her a jumbo pack of M&M's when I brought it back. I think we'd both get a fair deal!

Race 29
        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Well, I too believe that this being generated by SERTOMA is bogus.

There are about 300 boxes and a minimum of 10 people per box, that's at least 3000 people coming into that area with coolers and other stuff.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that only 1000 people are tipping the guy at the pickup spot 5 or 10 bucks (I was giving $10 in the morning and $10 for pickup in the afternoon), that is $5,000 to $10,000 a day for cooler delivery. Plus RARA is paying them a fee?

Something smells.

But, now that they are charging the $100 that I normally tipped, I won't be tipping them at the pickup spot.

PLUS as a sidenote, even with a cooler, I still buy Funnle Cakes and Breakfast Burritos in the morning and, if it's hot, Ice Cream throughout the day. Until I got my gas blender, I was also buying numerous watered down margaritas at $5 a pop. I can't believe coolers are cutting into profits all that much.

Don

Comment

Just pay the $100. RARA is having enough trouble sustaining the races.
            Think of it like a corkage fee at a restaurant.

Comment

Working...
            X