Bill Anders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Anders

From one warrior to another, a nickel on the grass.

General Bill Anders, Apollo 8 astronaut, photographer of the famous "Earthrise" photo, and race pilot of the P-51 "Val-Halla" and F8F "Wampus Cat" passed away this morning in the crash of the Heritage Flight Museum's T-34.

I first got to know the General while working on the airshow staff at NAS Whidbey Island in the 1990's. Thoughts and prayers out today for Greg, Alan, Valerie and everyone in the Anders family, as well as the extended family at HFM. Click image for larger version

Name:	445003020_10226107344734793_1981097280657080308_n.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	265279 Click image for larger version

Name:	apollo08-earthrise.webp
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	265280

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post

General Bill Anders, Apollo 8 astronaut, photographer of the famous "Earthrise" photo, and race pilot of the P-51 "Val-Halla" and F8F "Wampus Cat" passed away this morning in the crash of the Heritage Flight Museum's T-34.

I first got to know the General while working on the airshow staff at NAS Whidbey Island in the 1990's. Thoughts and prayers out today for Greg, Alan, Valerie and everyone in the Anders family, as well as the extended family at HFM. Click image for larger version

Name:	445003020_10226107344734793_1981097280657080308_n.jpg
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	265279 Click image for larger version

Name:	apollo08-earthrise.webp
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	265280
    Blue Skies General.
    John Slack

Comment

Sad news, indeed. What a life's story. CAVU, sir.
      Owen Ashurst
      Air Boss
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

What a terrible tragedy... he was an amazing individual. Blue sky's sir

Here's "Bearcat Poppa" Bill pulling double-duty... Reno 1999

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        I never heard that phrase before, so I had to look it up... what a cool tradition.
        Mark K....

Comment

After posting the above, I remembered a not-too-well-known story about Mr. Anders I'd like to share.

In April of 1999, 65 P-51 Mustangs attended the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends - with Bill & Val Halla in attendance. It was a very well attended event and very much a trill to the senses, but the organizational aspect (having an event at an airport that was still open to GA aircraft) severely restricted flight activity - limiting the P-51 Mustangs to only to take-offs and arrivals - NO airshow flying, NO fly overs. After about 5 hours of this, you could tell the crowd was more than a bit disappointed - but the announcement of "the rules" was made a few times throughout the day and everyone knew why it was being done. It was pretty much just accepted it for what it was, no one was happy about it.

Then there was Mr. Bill Anders & Val Halla, and just like the racers they are... do whatever is possible to give the crowd what they came for. I think someone in the crowd who was listening in to the tower's ATC transmissions said something about Vall Halla had a gear-light-indicator and needed to fly-over his crew to verify everything's OK because "they know what to look for" ;-)

So after 5+ hours in Florida heat & humidity - we all got what we came for. The crowd obviously went wild! The highlight of the event! What a class act!!!!!!

Mark K....

Comment

Working...
          X