Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off Topic: Photography & AI... a gamechanger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are a couple examples that sort of show what Sharpen AI can and can't do. You can see the anomalies that it can leave, and how it can clean up a distance shot, but its still not 100%.

Click image for larger version

Name:	53608523589_b9e5f7c40d_b.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	264610

Name:	53608395683_f28f095dab_b.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	264611
    This is as close to straight off the camera as it gets. Shot in RAW, lens corrected, converted to JPG. The top one is untuched aside from those changes, the second one was run through Sharpen AI. Even with the enhancements, the pic is garbage.

Name:	53608188161_967ebd2140_b.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	264612

This shot I did actually process, the first shot was all done in LR. Nope not a spectacular shot, but maybe sort of okay for a low res use. The second version was run through Sharpen Ai, and is a little sharper, but still not really what I would call a good shot.

I'll do a few more when I get a chance to show what the program can and can't fix.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      I'll do a few more when I get a chance to show what the program can and can't fix.
      It certainly has its limitations as you've demonstrated... both examples thus far showed improvement, but as you indicated did not yield results that would turn a bad shot onto a good one. Much better than the sharpening tool (and others) available on Photoshop from what I see, but not the savior of bad images (insert caveat) just yet.

This first generation of software will no doubt improved upon (the speed of which will depend on the market). But I would hazard a guess that within 5 years it would deliver in turning a bad image into a good one - so I'm going to be keeping an eye out on future developments of this type of software. I can Invision a digital image being mapped and the software rendering a 3-d model then using a cleaned-up version of the image as only a "skin" for the 3D rendered model to produce a flawless "recreation" - seeing what they are currently doing with movies like Avatar: The Way of Water it doesn't seem like it's beyond current technologies... just is there a demand? And at what cost? It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Anyway... looking forward to seeing what this current version of software can do
      Mark K....

Comment

Mark, This isn't first gen, this is at least 5th generation of Sharpen Ai. I don't have the current Photo AI so I'm not sure if its better than this or not. I tried Photo AI last year and the user interface was total crap. Topaz has since abandoned Sharpen AI for Photo Ai that seems to be more focused on everything else other than what Sharpen Ai does.

Will

Comment

Cool, cool... thanks for all the info Will. Are you certain it's 5th generation? To put it onto aviation terms... the ME262, P80, etc. we're 1st generation jet fighters... the F22 is a 5th generation fighter.... the 6th generation fighter is still in development. I'll agree they are on at least the 5th version of the software. I think you may have misunderstood my intent of generation vs version. Sorry for the confusion.
          Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
            Here are a couple examples that sort of show what Sharpen AI can and can't do. You can see the anomalies that it can leave, and how it can clean up a distance shot, but its still not 100%.

This is as close to straight off the camera as it gets. Shot in RAW, lens corrected, converted to JPG. The top one is untuched aside from those changes, the second one was run through Sharpen AI. Even with the enhancements, the pic is garbage.

This shot I did actually process, the first shot was all done in LR. Nope not a spectacular shot, but maybe sort of okay for a low res use. The second version was run through Sharpen Ai, and is a little sharper, but still not really what I would call a good shot.

Will
            Garbage is not correct word it is awesomish...it ought to be made understand when the picture is slightly "shaken" at the time of the snap.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukka View Post

Garbage is not correct word it is awesomish...it ought to be made understand when the picture is slightly "shaken" at the time of the snap.
              A non sharp pic is garbage, because that is where it goes.

Will

Comment

Working...
              X