Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RARA has released the top 3 possible locations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess it will come down to whether or not they can sustain the races with 25% of the former attendance numbers.

Comment

I believe Roswell can be a fine place to put the race courses. As Air Boss mentioned RARA will have a very busy year reinventing the event on a new airport, and they need our support.

Most of us life-long fans will probably be out there to support it even if we're just standing in a dirt field. (Reno started that way) I have happily and deliberately travelled to some off-the-beaten-path places to attend a fly-inn or see an air museum.

For the sake of the significant others who get dragged along with us race fans, I'm hoping RARA can market the place as accessible and interesting. I have all the logistics of the annual Reno trip committed to memory, and my wife knew her favorite restaurants and shops in the area; as well as the strategy for finding the best parking spots! . I really hope the marketing of this new event will include the travel & tourism angle of promoting the town and showing the visitor how to get there.

Comment

Would much prefer we were all on here celebrating Pueblo being chosen. From the social media posts it seems like the Roswell folks are in favor of doing everything they can to support the races (seems crazy to me to picture Roswell building hotels, restaurants, attractions, etc., for an annual event..) Perhaps Pueblo didn't have that same interest level even though that location required much less to make it logistically feasible...
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Each site had much in their favor and some issues on the other side of the ledger...otherwise they would not have gotten this far in the process. And while the fan experience is important it wasn't the only one. I don't doubt Roswell will step up. A lot of work ahead for a lot of folks!
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
            For the sake of the significant others who get dragged along with us race fans, I'm hoping RARA can market the place as accessible and interesting. I have all the logistics of the annual Reno trip committed to memory, and my wife knew her favorite restaurants and shops in the area; as well as the strategy for finding the best parking spots! . I really hope the marketing of this new event will include the travel & tourism angle of promoting the town and showing the visitor how to get there.
            I've been looking at the route from where I live in central Washington state. It looks like there is a pretty direct route that is just over 1500 miles each way. For lots of logistical reasons, that's going to change the air races from an annual family event (actually a multiple family event) to something that might be just me, by myself, or perhaps with my son's father-in-law, who is also deep into aviation.

One thing that might interest my wife, is if they moved the air races from September, to October. If they scheduled it either the week before, or the week after, the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, my wife would be very interested. The Balloon Fiesta has been on her bucket list for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
              Each site had much in their favor and some issues on the other side of the ledger...otherwise they would not have gotten this far in the process. And while the fan experience is important it wasn't the only one. I don't doubt Roswell will step up. A lot of work ahead for a lot of folks!
              Owen,

First and foremost, thanks for rejoining the conversation (Brad, you too!) As someone much closer to the effort, I am glad to see your optimism and forward looking perspective. Gives me real hope that the races will have a chance to evolve and possibly find a long term home as they have had in Reno. I certainly see the positives of the other finalists, especially the infrastructure on the ground side in Colorado, but I have always had a suspicion that Roswell might have some intangibles to go along with their own more readily visible positives.

For me, we have two remarkable threads going on this site right now: one that is just a glorious and fascinating history lesson being conducted by those who were there and this one, a thread where the next chapter begins to take shape. The history and the future need not be in competition with each other. Instead, both can, as they do in me, fuel the love we have for the sport, the event, and most of all, the people.

For now, I'll see you and many others in Reno in October in an effort to fill the coffers as much as possible to allow Roswell 2025 to be the best launch event possible. I already have my New Mexico plan laid out to attend and start a new September(?) tradition!

Be well and great to see you here again.

James Grayson

Comment

Thanks James. And I agree...past, present, and future can and should coexist. The knowledge base and historical background on this blog never ceases to amaze!

I hold a fairly high level of confidence that we will br ""Racin' in Roswell" for quite some time. The community and governmental support is very strong. Much work needs to done and that is already well under way.

It's a major undertaking to hold the event under the best and long running circumstances. Now, not only is RARA moving this 10-ring, high-speed, 3 dimensional circus to a new home, but also planning a "never been done before" air show for October. Herculean tasks on both counts.

I'm happy to share what I can whenever possible. Be it racing or air show. And as always take away more knowledge and understanding from reading the posts from everyone.
                Owen Ashurst

Comment

My biggest concern is safety. Based on the surrounding area, the courses will all have to be to the West of the field. That means there will not be any runway under / inside the course. The majority of emergencies at Reno terminated with a landing on 14, or occasionally 18. That will not be an option here.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                    My biggest concern is safety. Based on the surrounding area, the courses will all have to be to the West of the field. That means there will not be any runway under / inside the course. The majority of emergencies at Reno terminated with a landing on 14, or occasionally 18. That will not be an option here.
                    True. It will require a repositioning of our CFR assets for the evntuality of a RWY 03 recovery. One small but noteworthy point is that we likely won't have the issue of recovering on a RWY under the course, avoiding the conflict of someone on final to say, RWY14, with a/c on the course. Wasn't a major factor normally...just a bad look!

Suspect RWY03 will be the equivalent of RTS RWY14 for those purposes. Alot to workout but we'll get there.
                    Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post

True. It will require a repositioning of our CFR assets for the evntuality of a RWY 03 recovery. One small but noteworthy point is that we likely won't have the issue of recovering on a RWY under the course, avoiding the conflict of someone on final to say, RWY14, with a/c on the course. Wasn't a major factor normally...just a bad look!

Suspect RWY03 will be the equivalent of RTS RWY14 for those purposes. Alot to workout but we'll get there.
                      Assuming they can make it all the way back to 03. Lots of guys barely made it to 14.

Comment

Alternatives can be explored. Moreover, the classes had input into site selection, my briefings will stress the recovery Ops, and I'd expect each class to do the same. It's a new site...its not RTS, and I'm confident all aspects of this matter will be explored to make it as safe as possible. It was priority in everyone's book.
                        Last edited by Air Boss; 05-28-2024, 11:14 AM.
                        Owen Ashurst

Comment

Working...
                        X