Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little quiz, if anybody's interested...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jan View Post

Good "people" picture Neal. You always understood the importance of photographing the humans, not just the machinery. Dad and Mom did a lot of that too. And later on Birgitta became quite skilled at getting images of air racing people.

Anyone else remember standing at one pylon or another in the relative quiet in between races, breezes picking up, smelling cigarette smoke wafting and before even turning to look upwind being pretty sure that it was Neal who was the source of the fragrance?

At least I'm remembered for something....

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
      Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	339.1 KB ID:	264393
      Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	333.8 KB ID:	264394

Do you recognize these Neal?? I wonder how they fit into the above referenced thoughts?? (Geoff Goodall pics)
      Sparrow
      I'm guessing those pics are from shortly after Strega was shipped over from Australia, where the aircraft were pulled off a nuclear test range. At least one of those planes flew out after sitting there for several years. Very cool pic, thanks for posting.

Will

Comment

The photos are from Australia. I found this account on Mike Henniger's site which includes the Geoff Goodall shots. Strega has a complex lineage...

Aerial Visuals - Airframe Dossier - North American Mustang IV, s/n A68-679 RAAF, c/n 111-36388, c/r N71FT

The "Atomic Mustangs" were completely different, but fascinating in their own right. The one that was flown out ended up years later in Alabama after a long and often sad journey. There is actually a lot of stuff on the web about that one.

GEOFF GOODALL'S AVIATION HISTORY SITE

Mustangs at Emu, South Australia 1 of 3.avi (youtube.com)
        Mustangs at Emu, South Australia 2 of 3.avi (youtube.com)
        Mustangs at Emu, South Australia 3 of 3.avi (youtube.com)

Click image for larger version  Name:	R85  2    481  copy  WEB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	741.7 KB ID:	264401
        Last edited by wingman; 01-17-2024, 01:35 AM.

Comment

The internet provides:
          Emu Desert in 1960 was 1500 miles from anywhere .. ideal place for the British to test their Atomic Bombs in their former Australian Colonies.. the bastards ...

A68-1 was flown out, and I was able to read A68-27(?) and A68(?) 30 on another.
          Last edited by L.E.D.; 01-16-2024, 11:22 PM. Reason: (looks like wingman found a link while i was squinting at serial numbers.. =)

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post

At least I'm remembered for something....
            Oh fiddle faddle... You're remembered for a lot. Anyway, in the spirit of fun there are at least one or two photos of you in the files around here from the late 70s or early 80s maybe ambling around the pits looking very contemporary shall we say. I should dig those up. Far out....
            Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

That sounds scary -- I had hair back then...

Comment

If I recall, there were 6 Aussie Mustangs left for the nuclear tests. If you look around a bit on YouTube, there is a good video that discusses it and the story of how the 1st one was gotten out of there. It was the A68-1 which is in the US at this time. The guy that got them out of there got a bit of heat for a while but it was eventually sorted out.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	R84 2  copy  WEB.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	763.9 KB
ID:	264416
                  This was Strega Mk. 1, at Reno 1984. They went from concave wingtips to this almost immediately. Note the original scoop, presumably copied from the one they put on Dago. The prop is that odd one that these guys all liked. It's interesting how rough the airplane was. Bill Kerchenfaut described that wing as looking like a bulldozer had run over it. The fuselage looks the same way. That's Ron Hevle in the flight suit. Skip Holm always described Ron as "The Jolly Green Giant" -- he was pretty big. One of the nicest people in the sport.

Comment

Did the bondo happen in one year or was it split up?

Comment

Nice pictures

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X