Sounds like Sawbones has been sold and is headed to Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like Sawbones has been sold and is headed to Australia

I heard through the grapevine that Sawbones was sold and is apparently heading to Australia. Bummer. Sadly I'll bet that its racing history will be erased and some incorrect identity attached to it like so many other warbirds and former racers. That said, if they restore it to some point in its history before becoming Sawbones, that is totally cool.

A few of my favorite pics of Sawbones from Reno.
    I'd process this shot differently now, but since it was one of my first to end up in the program, yeah, its one of my favorites. From 2016...

Will
    Last edited by RAD2LTR; 12-17-2023, 11:25 AM.

I'm glad I was able to see this plane race and pick up one of my favorite race plane shirts. Sad to hear she will probably no longer hug pylons, but we have media for the memories.

Comment

How did you take those beautiful pictures of Saw Bones? What Settings etc. Also did you do any photo editing etc .Yes I also miss seeing Sawbones on the Race Course.
      Mark G. Ehlers

Comment

Originally posted by marke View Post
        How did you take those beautiful pictures of Saw Bones? What Settings etc. Also did you do any photo editing etc .Yes I also miss seeing Sawbones on the Race Course.
        The first shot I took from the hillside, I can't remember the settings but I'd bet I shot it about 1/100 sec at 500mm (Nikon D600, Nikon 200-500 F5.6VR) The lightning shots were with the same body with a 24-85 VR. I shot them using a tripod, likely 30 second exposure, 24mm. I sat the camera pointed in the direction of the active cell, and opened the shutter, waited for the lightning to flash, and closed the shutter. I never do much in post processing other than minor exposure and color adjustments. I always shoot RAW, so I can effectively adjust things well. I shot these in 2017.

Will

Comment

“That said, if they restore it to some​ point in its history” its previous history is in Iraqi colours and after that a spurious scheme that George came up with! I am delighted that a Fury is coming to Aus and a gold race contender at that, I believe the owner will retain most of the scheme but make it more like an RAN scheme without doing the refurb it should not need being a recent flyer, its not unreasonable to paint a warbird in the colours & markings of the country it is based & displays in IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by ozfuryfan View Post
            “That said, if they restore it to some​ point in its history” its previous history is in Iraqi colours and after that a spurious scheme that George came up with! I am delighted that a Fury is coming to Aus and a gold race contender at that, I believe the owner will retain most of the scheme but make it more like an RAN scheme without doing the refurb it should not need being a recent flyer, its not unreasonable to paint a warbird in the colours & markings of the country it is based & displays in IMHO
            A warbird should be restored/painted one of two ways. 1: A totally unique and original scheme that becomes part of its history, or 2: a scheme that was seen on the aircraft in its previous history.

A warbird should not EVER be painted to represent an aircraft that that did exist, but no longer exists. Its one thing to change its identity to a new unique one, thereby adding to its history. Its a whole different deal where that aircraft's history is masked and traded, by making it an aircraft that is long gone, that it never was, and never will be.

Will

Comment

Thats your opinion Will, plenty of folks have a different one

Comment

It is also frowned upon to paint kelp or sperm on a warbird's cowl when flames or stripes would be just fine

Just kidding... if you're paying the bills and taking the risks, you can paint your fighter-bomber like a J-3 Cub and I'll still pay to go see it

Comment

Thats your opinion Will, plenty of folks have a different one
                  The only thing that matters IS the history. Paint it purple with pink polka dots and call it "Miss Piggy", that is fine for all I care. Its original, and doesn't trade its history for that of another. The line that cannot and should not be crossed is trading the real history for that of another. It is no different than swapping the data plate. This needs to be a universal law. I will fight anyone to the death on that, and should I lose, I will fight from the afterlife. History matters.

Comment

Interesting Will. I wonder then what your opinion is of one of the racers you recently photographed....
                    Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Texas 1990 Ramp 4147.jpg Views:	0 Size:	299.1 KB ID:	264357

So you didn't like George's paint scheme, eh, LOL? It did look good, though, and the scheme has lasted through 30 years and numerous owners. I think this was the airplanes first race appearance, in 1991. George Baker sure was proud of his "Sky Fury" -- it was a beautiful restoration.

Last edited by wingman; 01-05-2024, 02:36 PM.

Comment

I did like Georges scheme Wingman, the dictator is one who didnt, none of the schemes it has worn reflect its history, like I said I am grateful its coming here and will be on the display circuit again

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                          Interesting Will. I wonder then what your opinion is of one of the racers you recently photographed....
                          How many of those racers are using original schemes, or schemes from their past (that were original back then.) Swamp fox, not a fan of the traded history. I wish he'd restore it correctly, but it doesn't need any paint work, so whatever. Bardahl, Thunderbird, Ole Yeller, and Plum Crazy, all wear original paint schemes that have been associated with the airframe, Miss America, is still Miss America. Dreadnought, still Dreadnought, original scheme. Blondie/Sparky, not correct for the aircraft, would rather see it depict its real history. Boise Bee, not a fan, should be restored to represent either Robert L Vaughn's or Lyon D Askins aircraft, or an original scheme that has never been used before. It isn't Boise Bee, and never was. The H model, doesn't seem appear to mimic anything, so its fine. Man O War, has worn that scheme since 1975, I don't know what its history is before 1955. If its an original scheme, its fine, if its got other history, that has been thrown away for this long standing history, then it needs to be fixed, even though its been Man O War for longer than I've been alive. Sweet and Lovely, is really a replica that used some parts from 44-73279 as patterns, but I don't know 44-73279's real history, so who cares. Its a Beck built fuselage and an Odegaard wing. Bunnie is straight wrong and should be restored to any of its previous identities, or its Nicaraguan AF scheme. It never was Bunny, so it should be fixed. (Was a US Surplus aircraft, so no US service history.) Speedball Alice never was Speedball, so should be restored to a civilian or RCAF history. MIss Marvel is fine, its an original identity that pays tribute to its former identity of Georgia Mae. Lady Jo, not sure if there was one that saw service in WW2 or not. The airframe was in Indonesia before Stephen Johnson recovered it. Wee Willy, parts from 44-73053 adopted 44-84961, not sure what either airframes' real history is, however it was Red Baron, Roto-Finish, Miss RJ, so the jury is out. Need more info. As for the Yaks, Miss Trinidad was Miss Trinidad in the past, so its an original identity, as is Rushin Thunder. Argonaut and 924, Argo was a RCAF aircraft, and is painted as such. Appears to be an original identity. 924 was a German AF aircraft, but does not appear to mimic anything as far as I can tell. (I could easily be wrong.)

I have no problem with an aircraft being restored as an original identity. That identity becomes part of its original history. My issues are when that original history is traded for that of another aircraft's that is LONG gone. I'm all for civilian schemes that are original. Military schemes are fine as long as they don't mimic that of an aircraft that is long gone. Heck, I love the scheme that was on Miss Suzie Q because it was as original as you could get (and ticked off people because it was so inaccurate to everything. But this was exactly what made it great.)

Tying back into Sawbones history, if it were to be restored as 71 GB in the Royal Australian Navy scheme, I'd be cool with that as it was that before being Sawbones. The scheme appears to be original.

Will

Comment

Well Will.... This... "Bardahl, Thunderbird, Ole Yeller, and Plum Crazy, all wear original paint schemes that have been associated with the airframe... " is not entirely correct. I don't object to the airplane among these that is not what it appears to be. But you do. So you have further homework to complete.
                            Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                              Well Will.... This... "Bardahl, Thunderbird, Ole Yeller, and Plum Crazy, all wear original paint schemes that have been associated with the airframe... " is not entirely correct. I don't object to the airplane among these that is not what it appears to be. But you do. So you have further homework to complete.
                              Okay I'll bite.
                              Thunderbird, crashed several times, the first being 1944. Apparently fixed and became a partnership between Jo DeBona and Jimmy Stewart in 1948. Later sold to Jacqueline Cochrane who later sold it back to Jimmy Stewart, then sold it to JIm Cook in march of 1955, who then crashed it a couple months later after he bailed out. Remains sold to Warren Piestch who spent years rebuilding it using various parts from other aircraft.

Miss Van Nuys aka Plum Crazy. - Was an RCAF aircraft, became a privately owned aircraft in 1958. Was sold to California Airmotive Corp in 1964, raced at Lancaster in 1966, won Reno in 1970. Clay Lacey owned it from 1964- 2019. Vicky bought it, had it gone through and changed the name. Still the same aircraft wearing the same paint scheme. Yes the name changed, but its a new name and it doesn't replace its history with that of another.

Ole Yeller- RCAF in 1951, bounced around through a bunch of owners, was modified by Cavalier in 1971. Bob Hoover started flying it in May of 1971. Had a fire in 1984, was repaired. Sold to John Bagley in 1997. Still the same aircraft.

Bardahl - USAF 1948, Chuck Lyford in 1963, sold in '78. Crashed in 2003, repaired. Returned to Reno as Bardahl in 2022. Still the same plane.

What are you implying I'm missing? The history of these 4 is pretty easy to look up. 3 of the 4 are the same airframes they started as, Thunderbird has been rebuilt with parts from several. Okay, what is your point? They all have been returned/restored to represent themselves at some point in their history. The only one that was possibly an imposter is Bardahl, but it has since been restored to correctly represent itself.

I know you know more history about these than I do, but you imply that these aircraft are not the aircraft they represent. I'm not sure how you have come to that conclusion. The only one that could be argued is Thunderbird since it was rebuilt from parts from multiple aircraft. At least it represents the aircraft the data plate says it is. Ole Yeller has been Ole Yeller since the 70s, Miss Van Nuys has been that since 1970, previously being "The Conroy Aircraft Special", "California Airmotive Special" and "Banzi" (I'm not sure what it was called in 1969.) Bardahl, was Section Eight, and returned to Bardahl. I would very much like to learn the history about them that I have apparently missed.

Will
                              Last edited by RAD2LTR; 01-08-2024, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X