Bardahl Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    It’ll actually be Strega going for the record.
    Wrong. Strega is not going anywhere for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post

I've also heard from someone close to the program that a certain purple yellow and white racer that hasn't been seen in ages is interested in emerging from its cave and going after the record again.

Will
      It's not that easy.
      John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post

It's not that easy.
        Nothing is easy with a record run. My point was that Rod is interested in retaking the record. This info came from someone who works for Rod. He didn't say any specifics, just that Rod was interested in getting the record back.

Will

Comment

Obviously she got very many mods in details, but I'm a little bit wondering why they don't changed to a turtle deck...

btw:
          is it known what is speed advantage of typical Dago/Strega/Voodoo turtle deck vs stock P-51D (low profile) canopy?

Comment

Comparing stock P-51's, B&C models are faster than D's.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbs View Post
              Obviously she got very many mods in details, but I'm a little bit wondering why they don't changed to a turtle deck...

btw:
              is it known what is speed advantage of typical Dago/Strega/Voodoo turtle deck vs stock P-51D (low profile) canopy?
              I think it was largely due to time. One would need to be custom made, and there simply wasn't enough time. Should they go for the record, we might see one appear. For Reno, I don't know that it was really needed as Miss A was going to be running a stock canopy as well. All things being equal, the time required to build and install one may not have been deemed a good use of resources.

That said, I believe Ridge Runner 3 went 490+ with a stock canopy in 2009.

Will

Comment

btw:
                Owner wanted to retain the look of the airplane as it was raced in Reno '64 thus he insisted on keeping the stock canopy profile.

Comment

What you guys are thinking, have they changed wing incidence?

On FB somebody had written it is stock, but to see that these special made wing-to-fuselage fairings moved from Voodoo to Bardahl Special is already very striking ...
                  Last edited by Gibbs; 11-30-2023, 06:49 AM.

Comment

What you guys are thinking, have they changed wing incidence?

On FB somebody had written it is stock, but to see that these special made wing-to-fuselage fairings moved from Voodoo to Bardahl Special is already very striking ...
                    They did not change the wing incidence.

Comment

Well, and incidence of vertical and horizontal stabilizers?

Comment

Well, and incidence of vertical and horizontal stabilizers?
                        Vertical and horizontal were both taken from Voodoo and bolted on. Vertical was zero'd and horizontal incidence is changed to make sure you don't have to use trim at race speed. It is just as much of a safety issues as a drag issue at the speeds they were going.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post

... Vertical was zero'd ...
                          I remember an older post here from Mike Nixon (when it comes to mods on Dago Red) where he says "... vertical moved to one degree to right (from 1.5 to the left)... " I think this was done for better handling in bank (about 70 percent or so of a course lap is in bank).

But when Voodoo/Bardahl now it "only" zero'd - apparently this former mod hasn't worked, has it?

Comment

I remember an older post here from Mike Nixon (when it comes to mods on Dago Red) where he says "... vertical moved to one degree to right (from 1.5 to the left)... " I think this was done for better handling in bank (about 70 percent or so of a course lap is in bank).

But when Voodoo/Bardahl now it "only" zero'd - apparently this former mod hasn't worked, has it?
                            Well, Dago still holds the race speed average record so I wouldn't say the mod didn't work....

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post

Well, Dago still holds the race speed average record so I wouldn't say the mod didn't work....
                              You know - it could have been that.... it could have been a combination of that and a few other things (like the pilot mod, aka Mr. Skip Holm)... or was it the one mod on Dago that never appeared on any other racer, the mod that was hidden from view, the one mod that is (in my opinion) the holy grail of air racing mods.... "the hump"?
                              I think you know what I'm referring to.

I've been keeping good track of it... I just wonder if we'll ever see it installed/modified to fit in another racer.
                              Mark K....

Comment

Here in Germany we are not so familiar with insider details, please Mark, what is the "the hump"?

Comment

Working...
                                X