Bardahl Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bardahl Special

Like most of us, I have been following the Bardahl Special story for this year. I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical, but after watching qualifying today, it sure seems like the real deal.

It does not sound stock at all. It sounds really strong, and it's clearly fast. Steven took it up and immediately circled to the short chute. He came down the chute and called for the clock on his first full lap. It looks and sounds fast. He did one qualifying lap, right down on the pylons (typical for Steven), and then departed the course. He circled high for a few minutes and then landed. It was all professional, precise and business like. He's currently the top qualifier at 444mph. Dreadnaught and Miss America have not attempted to qualify yet. Miss A was out on the course, but they weren't planning to qualify today. We've not seen Dreadnaught on the course yet.

My guess is that they went out and did exactly what they wanted to do, and that we've not seen what it can actually do.

We might have some interesting racing in the unlimited class.

469 as of this morning

Comment

It was a great surprise to see Bardahl Special in the air this morning, I had some problems to locate Stevo through the viewfinder coming down the chute so fast:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjqwVN9uMEw

Comment

Great video! Thank you!
        "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

No apologies necessary on the video. Unfortunately I wasn't there so the video was good to see. Of course, the question is "why even do it? You're already the fastest qualifier." The answer is of course..."Because we can!" Miss A can never approach that speed. The smartest thing for Brent to do is run a strong second and hope. For a cut pylon...won't happen. Or an $8.00 fitting that lets go...always possible. The only thing that will derail Bardahl Special is overconfidence or an unexpected part failure. Anything is possible.

Comment

Good article:
            The 2023 National Championship Air Races attracted a number of vintage racing aircraft to the final event held at storied Reno/Stead Field (KRTS), including the pristine white P-51D Mustang known as the Bardahl Special.
            Random Air Blog

Comment

Hmm, sounds like the Bardahl guys might be interested in chasing the 3K record. That should be interesting, especially if Voodoo is being readied for the same thing.

Will

Comment

I can't see the point of trying for that record in something that isn't fast enough . It would be like trying it with Ridgerunner. The only one they are possibly going to again is Voodoo.

Comment

Unless they have something/s up their sleeve to make it fast enough?

Interesting that the article says they used the same molds as for the fairings and scoop, not the actual units...?
                  Zac in NZ

Comment

Right! I haven't heard anything , they would have to take this the rest of the way to make this another Strega/Voodoo , with all of those additional mods that those have and this does not.

Comment

It’ll actually be Strega going for the record.
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                        It’ll actually be Strega going for the record.
                        I've also heard from someone close to the program that a certain purple yellow and white racer that hasn't been seen in ages is interested in emerging from its cave and going after the record again.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
                          Unless they have something/s up their sleeve to make it fast enough?

Interesting that the article says they used the same molds as for the fairings and scoop, not the actual units...?
                          They didn't use the same molds. Look at pics taken from the side view of Voodoo and Bardahl. They are not the same profile. Bardahl's parts are the next evolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                            They didn't use the same molds. Look at pics taken from the side view of Voodoo and Bardahl. They are not the same profile. Bardahl's parts are the next evolution.
                            That'll teach me for just reading the thing and not verifying it myself! Thanks for pointing that out.

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                            I've also heard from someone close to the program that a certain purple yellow and white racer that hasn't been seen in ages is interested in emerging from its cave and going after the record again.
                            That would be phenomenally exciting. Rawr!
                            Zac in NZ

Comment

I know Voodoo is going to make another run at it, they just don’t know when…
                              "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X