Help Identifying Signature(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identifying Signature(s)

I'm asking for some help in trying to identify some signatures on an art print. This particular artwork is to be displayed along with other memorabilia at a future Bill Kerchenfaut memorial, being put together by a few of the old crew members. Most of the signatures have been identified, but a few are pretty tough to make out - hoping someone recognizes what I can't - and thanks in advance for your help. I've lightened up the areas on the picture below where we need help, and below that is a list of the signatures we already have identified.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kerch_02.jpg
Views:	1088
Size:	766.5 KB
ID:	263368

Dave Fogoaga
    ???unknown
    Dick Godfrey
    Mike Wilton
    Dan Stout
    Mika Colms
    Larry Rengstorf (c/c Race 16)
    Pete Law
    Margaret Watt
    ???Chris Wood
    Art Vance Jr.
    CJ Stevens (#16)
    Jim larsen
    Jim Foss (twidge)
    Tom Smotherman
    Dave Griswald
    Terry Bland
    Skip Holm
    Jack Sweeney
    Dwight Thorn (Race 5, 7, 4, & U-95)
    Ray Smith
    Steve Bartholf
    Dede Holm
    Jack Hovey
    ???unknown ("1979")
    Tiger Destefani
    Wayne Cook
    Dixon Smith
    Bob Caru????
    Sylvia Sweeney
    Eric Hoffman
    Clay Liston (Big Red)
    Bruce Lockwood (Dago Red)
    Kathy & Stoney (Race #6)
    Steve Andrew???

Thanks again guys!!!!​
    Mark K....

From Mike Frank "by Skip’s signature, is Ted Curiel - he was on John Crocker’s crew with Kerch back in the day when John was Racing."

Will

Comment

Awesome, thanks Will
      Mark K....

Comment

On the right under Tiger is "Bob Converse" I think
        Last edited by W J Pearce; 08-06-2023, 09:03 PM.
        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
          On the right under Tiger is "Bob Converse" I think
          That's awesome... even if it's a "I think" that gives us a lot more than we had

2 left
          Mark K....

Comment

Directly under Kerch's picture. Right under Dave Fogoaga, is John E Slack, That would be me, I raced with Kerch as an engine builder on the Dago project with the Mystery Aire Division. I took a close look at the "Bob Converse" signature and that is not Robert's signature. That is not who that is. I knew Robert for many years and raced with him as Zeuschel's had built his first race engine. It appears to be Bob Carusie, I am not familiar with him.

Sorry One step forward, One step back. Still at two.
            Last edited by BellCobraIV; 08-08-2023, 02:18 PM.
            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
              Directly under Kerch's picture. Right under Dave Fogoaga, is John E Slack, That would be me, I raced with Kerch as an engine builder on the Dago project with the Mystery Aire Division. I took a close look at the "Bob Converse" signature and that is not Robert's signature. That is not who that is. I knew Robert for many years and raced with him as Zeuschel's had built his first race engine. It appears to be Bob Carusie, I am not familiar with him.

Sorry One step forward, One step back. Still at two.
              Thanks for your help John... I'll be sure to pass that along to Steve Bartholf (he's the point guy - I'm just the help ;-) ). We may be one minor step back on the Bob Carusie/Converse signature - but at least we have a better idea of who it might be.

Thanks again!
              Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 08-08-2023, 05:28 PM.
              Mark K....

Comment

Interesting thread Markers! SUPER good to have you back into air racing! You have a lot of history under your belt and your presence on the net was missed... You damn good reporter brother!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I think those are Chris Wood and Steve Andrews from the Dago Red crew of the 2000-2004 time frame, although I seem to remember, but can't confirm the spelling of Andrews might have actually been Andrus. I believe he was on the Voodoo crew for a time with Kerch as well. They match a photo I had the Dago Red crew sign in 2003.

Also, I didn't see Greenamyer's name on your list, but I have a matching signature on some art to the one just below Conquest 1 as it were.

I'd post pics, but apparently I can't the size right...

James

Comment

Originally posted by Red 5 View Post
                    I think those are Chris Wood and Steve Andrews from the Dago Red crew of the 2000-2004 time frame, although I seem to remember, but can't confirm the spelling of Andrews might have actually been Andrus. I believe he was on the Voodoo crew for a time with Kerch as well. They match a photo I had the Dago Red crew sign in 2003.
                    Thanks buddy... I recall the names from back in the day - but I couldn't find references, so I was just going on memory. On the spelling, I'll leave that up to Steve B - he should be able to verify that pretty easily now that he knows who it is.

Also, I didn't see Greenamyer's name on your list, but I have a matching signature on some art to the one just below Conquest 1 as it were.
                    I'd post pics, but apparently I can't the size right...
                    Now that's one I missed, and darn glad you didn't! Awesome - I was able to compare it to Greenamyer's signature I found on the interweb and just like you said - it's a match!

I've updated the photo with the names (the names in yellow I'm just not 100% on). Really appreciate all the help guys - I never thought we'd be able to get just about all of the names figured out... Click image for larger version

Name:	signatures.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	954.4 KB
ID:	263391 I was hoping for one or two, but you guys blew that prediction out of the water.
                    Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                      Interesting thread Markers! SUPER good to have you back into air racing! You have a lot of history under your belt and your presence on the net was missed... You damn good reporter brother!
                      Thanks buddy... it's been good therapy for me. Speaking of which - today makes it a year to the day that my wife Kim passed - and naturally, it's kinda making the new normal, a little abnormal if you catch my drift. Life goes on, and 30 years is a long time to be by yourself <---one of Kim's last quotes - yeah, she knew, gave me her blessing she did. So maybe it's time to start dating again LOL. I don't know - it does seem like it's something I wouldn't mind exploring the possibilities of. Maybe after Reno... and kinda the reason why I said I needed a long break after this (time to take care of Mark). I'm sure you understand. Working full time & taking care of myself & the homestead (did I mention I own 7 cats - that's a lot of litterbox duty there my friend ) doesn't leave me with a lot of free time. So as much as I've been enjoying myself, I need to start thinking about me & my situation long term. Unfortunately, that means less time involved in air racing and more time spent meeting new people kinda stuff. I don't want to be that person who said "if I would have just..." - I'd rather be the peron who says "why the **** not!".
                      Mark K....

Comment

Hey Mark,

Got a confirmation on the spelling... Steve Andrues.
                        James

Comment

Hey Mark,

Got a confirmation on the spelling... Steve Andrues.
                          Thank you sir - I'll be sure to forward that to Steve so it gets included in the final version. He did let me know he would be sending it to the Smithsonian for inclusion in Kerch's tribute soon... but from what I understand it's still a work in progress so it might be a while before it's made public. I'll talk to Steve and get some more info on that and report back.

To everyone that helped... your contributions were invaluable, a HUGE thanks to each and every one of you
                          Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 08-12-2023, 05:09 AM.
                          Mark K....

Comment

Final version - had a few spelling errors, but we got it all finished up... Steve told me he will be sending it off to the Smithsonian soon. Thanks again guys!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	signatures_final.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	952.0 KB
ID:	263418
                            Mark K....

Comment

VERY cool project Markers!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...