Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: t-birds 2006

Originally posted by hattend
    There was a program on Discovery (or Military Channel) called "A Year in the Life of the Blue Angels" (or something close to that). It was a 4 part/hour program on how a new pilot is chosen and how the training goes. THe Blues leader is the same way...a little more puuuuuulllllll. They even do it at the show brief table. They fly the whole routine at the briefing table.
    Anybody can say what they will about the demo teams but... having seen and met a few up-close... I can say, it's not a job, it's a lifestyle!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Stevo,
      Thanks Buddy!

I think this is awesome, and like I said WAY overdue.

Race 29
      Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by jason
        Don't forget the T Birds will have a female pilot in 06

Yeah, and I can't WAIT for the first 'live' interview where they ask her why her callsign is "Fi Fi"........

Can you say 'tap dance'?

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
          I haven't been able to find anything official from the USAF about this.
          Google is a wonderful thing:

Nichole Malachowski is going to be on the team next year. I personally flew with her in the F-15E on my last assignment at Seymour Johnson AFB and I can personally attest that she's a top-shelf fighter pilot and an all-around good sh*t to boot. She is the all-around real deal; she's not only media-friendly, but can also out-curse and out-drink most of the guys in the squadron. If I were picking people to fly with into combat, she would be one of them.

I currently work for two ex-Thunderbirds (my Squadron Commander and the Operations Officer of the squadron I fly with), and they both have verified through the ex-Thunderchicken 'bro-network' that she was definitely NOT a quota fill...she earned her spot on the team on merit alone. The fact that she's good PR for the USAF is just a by-product.

Brad's comment about "FiFi" being her callsign is true...she earned it as a young wingman...words she uttered after screwing something up...'F*CKING IDIOT! F*CKING IDIOT!'

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
            Google is a wonderful thing:

Nichole Malachowski is going to be on the team next year. I personally flew with her in the F-15E on my last assignment at Seymour Johnson AFB and I can personally attest that she's a top-shelf fighter pilot and an all-around good sh*t to boot. She is the all-around real deal; she's not only media-friendly, but can also out-curse and out-drink most of the guys in the squadron. If I were picking people to fly with into combat, she would be one of them.

I currently work for two ex-Thunderbirds (my Squadron Commander and the Operations Officer of the squadron I fly with), and they both have verified through the ex-Thunderchicken 'bro-network' that she was definitely NOT a quota fill...she earned her spot on the team on merit alone. The fact that she's good PR for the USAF is just a by-product.

Brad's comment about "FiFi" being her callsign is true...she earned it as a young wingman...words she uttered after screwing something up...'F*CKING IDIOT! F*CKING IDIOT!'
            She sounds like a really nice lady!!

Here's a shot of her at Nellis this year.. She did seem really a good PR sort as well... all good!

Wayne
            Attached Files
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Randy,
              Awesome, thanks for the link and the more personal background! Maybe she can put in a good word in for you, for the 2007 team!

Race 29
              Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
                Maybe she can put in a good word in for you, for the 2007 team!
                Nope, sorry...not enough of a 'poster boy' to ever be a Thunder-clone.

Comment

Lets face it...when you've been on the Jerry Springer Show as many times as Hacker has, the "Beautiful People" just aren't interested in you.

Comment

What... a Haskin not a PR type?????

Neevvveerrrrrr!!!

<wayne ducks as he runs from the room dodging flung bars of soap on a rope and such>

Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                      Here ya go Race 29. Word around the campfire is that the Thunderbirds have made it very clear that they (The Thunderbirds) are a Team. No one is to be singled out for special treatment, ie: separate interviews because they just happen to be the first female pilot in Thunderbird history.
                      They are going to get sick of explaining that once the media gets ahold of the fact that there's a woman in men's land. The IRL was all about Danica Patrick in 2005 to the point that other racers started protesting.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John H
                        They are going to get sick of explaining that once the media gets ahold of the fact that there's a woman in men's land. The IRL was all about Danica Patrick in 2005 to the point that other racers started protesting.

John
                        Uh huh....and the IRL got publicity and a swelling of fan base and media exposure bigger than anything it has experienced in the last 10 years. And for as much pissing and moaning as Dan Wheldon, Tony Kanaan, and the other 'leaders' on the Andretti team did, they were crying all the way to the bank.

The whole purpose of the T-birds and Blues is to GET p.r.

And from what I understand, its not going to be a situation like the Blues were in 10 years ago when the whole 'quota fill' thing bit them in the ass with their flight leader. I think the military learned their lesson with that one.

Comment

"FiFi" will be even harder to explain politically correctly!
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                            "FiFi" will be even harder to explain politically correctly!
                            Which is fine by me, because IMHO there's nothing politically correct about military fighter aviation. We exist to kill people and break things. If people can't handle a little bad language along the way, they've got some strange moral priorities.

Comment

If people can't handle a little bad language along the way, they've got some strange moral priorities.

....That is a great PARTIAL description of the general public !

............seems I've run out of those hand-out forms again,
                              (federal form ID 10 T ) (rewrite by hand if ya need to get the joke)

.......the public makes me question my service time (some moments)....
                              Mayday51
                              Jim Gallagher

Comment

.. We exist to kill people and break things.
                                As long as you say "Excuuuussse me" before putting a Sidewinder up there *ss, it's ok

Comment

Working...
                                X