• Show
Clear All

Re: Tsunami pics

So it did fly at Reno 96...

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      So it did fly at Reno 96...
      It may have flown at Reno in '96, but I'm quite sure it never raced. The Friday Unlimited races were rained out in '96, and Strega was definitely using the cuffed prop for both the Saturday and Sunday races.

SA

Comment

Hi Mike -- I don't think it ever actually raced with that prop, either in 1995 or 1996, did it?

Neal

Comment

I visited with Kerch last night and he reviewed the photos. The "Tiger claw", to his best remembrance, was used in 1996 at Reno for qualification and then it came off. This is the prop that's white, with red, blue, and chrome accents. It had been flown at Shafter quite a bit before Reno (probably 20+ hours), but only on the course once. Whether or not the one time on the course was the true tell all can be contested. As to the 1995 all white prop with red tips and apparent cuffs, he thought it was never flown on the airplane. It probably was an earlier version that US Propeller was working on and possibly put on the airplane at Reno 1995 to run staticly. Said he'd have to think about it more and look at his notes.

Michael

Comment

Thank you Michael...

Neal

Comment

Great Topic.

Thanks for posting it,
              Elliot

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                I visited with Kerch last night and he reviewed the photos. The "Tiger claw", to his best remembrance, was used in 1996 at Reno for qualification and then it came off. This is the prop that's white, with red, blue, and chrome accents. It had been flown at Shafter quite a bit before Reno (probably 20+ hours), but only on the course once. Whether or not the one time on the course was the true tell all can be contested. As to the 1995 all white prop with red tips and apparent cuffs, he thought it was never flown on the airplane. It probably was an earlier version that US Propeller was working on and possibly put on the airplane at Reno 1995 to run staticly. Said he'd have to think about it more and look at his notes.
                Michael
                Let me first state that I DO NOT KNOW WHO'S PHOTO THIS IS...I FOUND IT ON THE NET, BUT I WANT TO USE IT TO DEMONSTRATE. SO I APOLOGIZE IF THIS IS TRADEMARKED BY SOMEONE AND IT IS NOT SHOWN.

The picture was taken in 1995 at the old Reno Hilton. That was the year they flew a few of the Unlimiteds downtown early in the week and had them on display...Howard had his planes there, and obviously Strega was there. Now take a look at the propeller in this shot. It has the covers on it...but that is unmistakeably a 'curved' tip, and it looks to be a very wide chord all the way to the spinner. I think that this is enough to say that at least the 'big' prop was flown in 1995...if nothing else from Stead to Cannon, and back to Stead.

Jim
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Big_Jim; 01-30-2010, 09:32 PM.

Comment

That *might* be a C. Aro photo?

Shawn???
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Can you please post the pics of Howard's planes downtown?

Comment

Working...
                    X