Video Test 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Video Test 2005

Dang fine video work Bill! Glad to see you guys havin' fun with the upload utility!!

Keep em comin!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Great stuff. Thanks for taking the trouble to post those. Hope to see more. Were you able to capture any Qualifying runs from Strega?

Comment

Great video quality! Excellent!
        Jarrod

Comment

Great stuff. I love the qual runs of Matt and Mike Brown.

I'm still hopeful to see something from the Sunday Silver race, or any video of Southern Cross from Reno.

Steve

Comment

I have most of the silver race, but haven't uploaded it yet. Unfortunately, I was following Bill Eberhardt in Merlins Magic around pylon 7 and missed your big run at Matt at the finish. That's one of the downsides of shooting video, sometimes you miss a great race. I need a spotter.

It may take me a few more days to get to it, I'm runnin low on disc space.

I've got about 4 hours of tape. I don't have too much more on qualifications as I didn't arrive until Tuesday afternoon. Sorry, I don't have a single shot of Strega airborne. I missed the morning hop with race motor #2 that went south. I was sorely disapointed.

Buick? Yeah I've got a coupe of passes here somewhere.

Not much Nemesis, just a pass or 2 as Jon always seemed to be up high while I was shooting.

As for format, I'm using Final Cut Express and I'm exporting to Quick Time Movie (.mov) using Sorenson Video compression. Sorrenson seems to be as good or perhaps a tad better than MPEG4 and the site here won't let me upload .mp4 files. .mov is on the approved list. I think the output is 720x480 pixels at 29.97 frames /second for 4x3 aspect ratio, which is much better than the mp4 default. Number of lines in height varies when I export 16:9 shots. (most everything I shot on sunday). The resolution makes them a bit big. I've had to prune ruthlessly to get under what appears to be a 10MB upload limit. that's about 15 seconds of tape under average conditions. The compression seems to have a lot more trouble with low light shots. It may have trouble figuring out what to do with the grain that apears when the video gain goes up.

Yes, the goal is to produce a DVD at some point. Its taking me a while. I'm learning as I go. I've been shooting video since 89 (Spuer 8mm film before that) but this is the first time I've tried to publish any of it.

Stay tuned.

For now, here is an amusing tidbit ...
            Attached Files
            Bill Garnett
            InterstellarDust
            Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell
              the site here won't let me upload .mp4 files. .mov is on the approved list
              Bill.. I'm not sure mp4's were "invented" when I put in the vid uploads..

I just added it to the list..

On the windows media files, I have the proggy set to: Content-type: video/mpeg in the file handler section.. Content-type: video/quicktime for .mov stuff.. .

What would be the correct file handler for the mp4's??

It's probably going to prompt you to download them at this time...

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Heres a shot of Strega running up race motor number 2 on the ramp. That's Curt Brown in the cockpit and I think that's Sparrow, engine builder extraordinare walking past. I could be wrong about Sparrow as we have never been introduced.

I bumped the quality level up one notch which solved some of the compression problem I was having with low light but that makes this clip 5.4MB. Hope it uploads OK. Sorry dial up guys.
                Attached Files
                Bill Garnett
                InterstellarDust

Comment

Buick

Did somebody say Buick?

This is a pass from the Sunday Gold race, I beleive this is lap 3.
                  Attached Files
                  Bill Garnett
                  InterstellarDust

Comment

"I think that's Sparrow, engine builder extraordinare walking past. I could be wrong about Sparrow as we have never been introduced."
                    That would be the one and only Mike "Sparrow" Barrow. He is easily identified by both sight and scent, constantly wearing a fresh coat of "Eu de Bardahl". Interestingly, I think I can sense him giving me the Merlin finger right this very instant!

SA

Comment

Fantastic stuff! Thanks for the effort!

Comment

Happy Larry?
                        Digital over analogue rules every time.
                        I know the frustration you are going thru.
                        Video takes a long time to process and it never appears as good as the original, unless you want to spend 10K for a good editing system and don’t compromise with compression.

Thanks for The Bossman clips.
                        Love Dreadnaught pass. Do you have a Bossman that’s similar in size?

Now that I’ve lured you out my job is done.
                        Keep them coming.
                        Beautiful work Bill.

Fenceliner

Comment

To quote Frank Zappa
                          So you want some more? Well here's some more...
                          "Hey can I interest you in a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers?"

Great stuff Bill!!!

Rob

"The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe(')." - FZ

Comment

Watching all these videos motivated me to pull out some footage I shot in '03. Both of these are shot from the stands during Friday's "Record" Gold race. My camera work is poor compared to others here, but the sound is what I love!!

First one is the second lap pass, and the other is the third lap pass. You can really hear Dago winding it up, but of course my favorite part is getting to hear the sound of Bear's 3-blader one more time...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Does anyone have any video of Czech Mate in action? Sadly enough, I've never been able to see this plane fly. Does anyone have an extra $350,000 laying around so we can her back to Reno next year?

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by FENCELINER
                                Digital over analogue rules every time I know the frustration you are going thru.
                                Video takes a long time to process and it never appears as good as the original, unless you want to spend 10K for a good editing system and don’t compromise with compression.

FYI it's not the editing, but the compression for web posting that's killin' me.

Thanks for The Bossman clips.
                                Love Dreadnaught pass. Do you have a Bossman that’s similar in size?

Now that I’ve lured you out my job is done.
                                Keep them coming.
                                Beautiful work Bill.

Fenceliner
                                I hope Digital doesn't rule too much. I've got a bunch of high 8 from previous years. I have about 2 hours per year on high 8 from 89-2003. and I have about 30 minutes from the front straight on cheapskate hill from 1988 on VHS-C. I bought the XL2 race week 2004.

Your job's not done yet. You've posted some great stuff and I want more!

I have some nice racing between Big Bossman and Speedball Alice I haven't had a chance to upload yet.
                                More on the way as able.
                                Bill Garnett
                                InterstellarDust

Comment

Working...
                                X