Comment

Re: Blue Skies - Art Vance

Thanks, Bill. That made me smile...

Comment

a smile and tear for me too.....thanks

Comment

I met Art at Fresno several years ago at one of the Doolittle Raiders Reunion. Since then our paths would cross often. His quick wit and wise words were always insightful and entertaining.

I sat in his pit and drank his beer with him at Reno this year. We had a great chat and I finally got one of his "P-51 Owners Manual." Art's book for owners and operators of the Mustang based on his vast knowledge of the airplane. It will be a keepsake and a memory of him for me.

Tailwinds Old Friend,
          Doug Rozendaal
          Tailwinds,
          Doug Rozendaal

Comment

I am really truly still in shock about this..

I've known art since when he first flew Furias and we had a somewhat... shall we say, "tumultuous" first "face-to-face" after many phone conversations...

Art could be... well... "a piece of work" but damn, I can't believe he's gone!

God gave YOU wings now Art.. "Blue Skies Forever" Art Vance!

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I've been living under a rock - I just heard the shocking news!!!

Like everyone, I'm shocked. I had contacted Art once through company email and he responded. The corporate position back in those unenlightened days was that it frowned on personal use of company resources...so I never followed through, and missed a chance of possibly meeting him on one of my business trips....

Comment

oh my gosh! I am in shock and disbelief!! I have been out of the country and just got back and heard the news. I have known Art for many years, but havent been in contact with him in quite some time. He will be so missed in my heart! I will cherish the time I had with him, and my ride in Million Dollar Baby! That was a thrill of my life. Art was a wonderful person to talk with and an exellent pilot. I am still in such disbelief...and very saddened! I am so sorry I missed the memorial. My prayers go out to Art's family, may you all find peace in this time of sorrow. Art....God Speed to You..and I know you are forever flying the skies above us!
                God Bless!
                Erica

Comment

here is a pic after my wonderful ride with Art in Million Dollar Baby
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thank you to all who have posted on this thread. Art was my Uncle Bud and I loved him dearly. Family gatherings won't be the same without him. I am sad to say that I haden't seen him in a long time but the love is still strong.
                    I want to thank you also for remembering Judy and Dan and Debbie. But someone was forgotten. His second child Sharon wasn't named in the first part of this and she has 5 of his grandchildren. I just don't want her to be sad if she sees this. If someone could fix it that would be great. If anyone has any good pictures of my Uncle at any races or just something wonderful could you please send them to me? my email is Aadni2000@aol.com
                    Thank you so much.
                    Hugs to my Uncle and to his Family and Friends

Comment

I am sorry when I typed my first post about my Uncle Bud I didn't give my name. I am Linda Morrison, daughter of Ginnie Axelsen (Vance) brother to Art.

I have just finished reading the whole thread and I want to say thank you again for all the wonderful thoughts and prayers. So many people loved him. I am glad.

love to all

Linda Morrison

Comment

It's been a few months now since the crash. I suppose I'm past the shock of losing my friend Art Vance, though I've not stopped missing him. I came to know Art on a few levels. He was an active, engaged and complex fellow, talented, funny and fun to spend time with. While I did not always see the world as he did, there are few who have the capacity to create their world as Art did. Art Vance was an original.

I spent several hours with Art the week before the crash. He brought his P-51 to Vacaville for a fly-in. We had a great time together. I drove him to the new sporting goods store in town so he could check-out their duck decoys. Art was not impressed with the vendor's collection and articulated that fact. Along the way, Art told me about a recent camping trip. He revisited this site having first been there as a boy scout decades earlier. I was impressed with the strong sense of his nostalgia as he told me about this place then and now.

Back at the airport, I told Art about a plan I was working on with Brant Seghetti and a couple other friends to do a missing man fly-by for Sean DeRosier the next day. Art looked me in the eye stating in no uncertain terms, "Ben Marsh, here me now. When I go do not do a missing man fly-by for me, for I will surely come back to get you." Besting him in logic just this once I replied, "So Art, if the bad day comes, all I need do to bring you back is a missing man fly-by. Is that right?" With his wrists positioned on his hips and the thinnest smile possible, he replied, "It's a memorial." I understood. At least, I thought I understood.

Art and I had a routine for his departures. I'd watch him fire-up and taxi out, positioning myself at the end or to the side of the runway. I'd smile and wave as he taxied by. On take-off, he'd acquire me standing on the side of the runway as his tail lifted off the ground. This was just like all those other times he came ripping by me and it was different, more different than I have words to express. Art deviated from the centerline, heading toward me with his Mustang set on loud. He broke ground a few yards in front of me turning slightly to the right to reestablish the centerline of the runway. In the moment he past me, I through him a peace sign with my fingers. I am certain he was laughing with me.

He was off to spend the evening with Win, Natalie and Judy. I phoned Art on my return home. Judy answered. All I could tell her was that I had a great Art Vance day. I will never, ever forget the time I spent with Art that day.

A few days after the bad day, I had a dream about Art. He was in good health and spirits. Art had given up aviation. He sold his house in Sebastopol, finding a new home were he'd taken up gardening in a big way. I dreamt that we had one of our long chats during which he picked all kinds of fruits and vegetables for me to take home in my little airplane. I woke from the dream as I departed for home. I was filled with the difficult realization that I'd dreamt about Art literally having bought the farm. I was saddened by the realization that Art was gone, but filled with the sense that Art was happy and engaged in his pursuits.

I miss him. Art Vance contributed to my life in ways no other person has or will.

Now it is time for me to dry my eyes, wash my face and move ahead enriched, having known my friend Art Vance.

Ben Marsh

Comment

Wow.... I can't find words to express my feelings about what I just read when I hit the queue and found your post Ben.....

Amazing... truly touching..

Nope, those aren't the words.. I can't find 'em...

Wayne Sagar
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Long time fan and I respect and admire all of you brave flyers that thrill us at the races with your skill and courage. I got this report and I wanted a professional opinion, Art was a safety minded person, so how could this report be true? Also the NTSB report did not include the first strike of the smaller power lines. Can someone help me to understand all of this?

Thank you very much,

Sad and confused.... Blue skies Art

NTSB Identification: ATL06LA003.
                            The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact Records Management Division
                            14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
                            Accident occurred Saturday, October 08, 2005 in Monterey, TN
                            Probable Cause Approval Date: 2/28/2006
                            Aircraft: Grumman F6F, registration: N4994V
                            Injuries: 1 Fatal.

The pilot told people at the departure Airport prior to takeoff that he was going to follow I-40 to his destination. The weather at the accident site was 500 foot overcast, 5 miles visibility and mist. Several motorists observed the airplane flying at an altitude of about 100 feet west bound along I-40 prior to colliding with power lines. There were no mechanical problems reported by the pilot or discovered during the post-accident examination of the airplane.
                            The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
                            The pilot's inadequate preflight planning and inadequate evaluation of the weather, inadequate visual lookout, and his failure to maintain clearance, resulted in the in-flight collision with power lines.

HISTORY OF FLIGHT

On October 8, 2005 at 1633 central daylight time, a Grumman F6F, N4994V, registered to Air Museum, and operated by the Airline Transport Pilot, collided with power lines, fell to the ground and burst into flames during cruise flight in Monterey, Tennessee. The business flight was operated under the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 91, and visual flight rules. Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed for the trip to Little Rock, Arkansas. The pilot received fatal injuries and the airplane sustained substantial damage. The flight originated in Sevierville, Tennessee, on October 08, 2005, at an undetermined time.

The pilot told several people at the airport that he was going to follow I-40 to Little Rock, Arkansas. Motorists traveling on I-40, stated that they observed the airplane directly over the westbound lanes at an altitude of approximately 100 feet above the ground. One motorist stated that he was driving about 75 miles an hour as the airplane flew directly over him. He stated that he noticed that it was a vintage 1940's Hellcat complete with US Navy markings along the fuselage. He estimated that the airplane's ground speed was about 100 knots. He said that when the airplane passed over him he was just east of the 290 mile marker in Cookeville, Tennessee. He said that the Cumberland Plateau was marked by extremely rough mountainous terrain, with 500-700 foot peaks on either side of the highway. On the day of the accident he had noticed that the peaks were obscured by a low, 500 foot ceiling. He cracked his window to listen for the airplane engine to determine if the plane had power, and the engine sounded fine with no apparent misses or roughness. At first the witness thought that the pilot might be attempting to land on the westbound lanes of the highway, however, he observed that the airplane was in a clean configuration with flaps and gear up, and showed no apparent desire to make an emergency landing. According to the witness, as the road curved slightly to the left, multiple high tension wires came into view running across the westbound lanes. He observed the airplane attempt to pass under the wires and strike the lowest wire and the severed line fell across the roadway. The witness lost sight of the airplane and assumed the pilot was able to recover and flew out of view. The witness attempted to call 911, but was unable to get a signal. He continued on to his destination. Other witnesses stated similar observations but observed the airplane crash into a wooded area and burn.

PERSONNEL INFORMATION

A review of information on file with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Airman's Certification Division, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, revealed the pilot was issued an airplane single engine land with a commercial pilot rating and airplane multiengine land with a airline transport pilot rating, issued on July 24, 2003. The pilot's logbooks were not not recovered for examination. Review of the FAA aeromedical records showed that the pilot held a second class medical certificate issued October 04, 2004 with no limitations.

AIRCRAFT INFORMATION

The airplane is a single seat, fixed wing 1944 Grumman F2F with tricycle landing gear. The airplane is powered by one reciprocating, fuel injected Pratt & Whitney 22800 engine. A review of maintenance records revealed that he last conditional inspection was conducted on February 1, 2005. At the time of the accident, the tachometer read 2141 hours.

METEORLOGICAL INFORMATION

At 1653, Crossville Cumberland County Airport, Crossville, Tennessee, weather reporting facility, reported winds variable at 3 knots, 5 statue miles of visibility, overcast 500 feet, in mist, Temperature 13-degrees Celsius, dew point 11-degrees Celsius, and altimeter 29.89 inches of mercury.

WRECKAGE AND IMPACT INFORMATION

Examination of the wreckage on scene found the airplane consumed by fire with the engine separated from the airplane and resting against a tree. Examination of the engine found high tension cable wrapped around the crankshaft between the prop and engine case.

MEDICAL AND TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION

The Forensic Toxicology Research Section, FAA, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma performed postmortem toxicology of specimens from the pilot. The results were negative for carbon monoxide, cyanide, and ethanol. dextromethorphan was detected in the liver and the kidney. According to the FAA Civil Aerospace Medical Institute (CAMI) website, Dextromethorphan is a "cough suppressant commonly used in over the counter preparation."

Air Classics Magazine:
                            On 8 October, Art Vance was killed in a crash at Cookeville, Tennessee, while flying The Air Museum Planes of Fame Hellcat. According to eyewitnesses, the plane was flying under a low overcast along the route of 1-40 when it struck a small set of powerlines. Witnesses stated the aircraft flew for several more miles before striking larger powerlines and crashing in the median separating the freeway lanes. The median was heavily wooded and rocky.

Comment

It's been quite a while and probably a good thing to talk about what happened...

Though, I almost did not post this one due to no signature. Sure like it when you unregged folks will put a name to your posts. Just makes it more comfy for everyone...

As a non-pilot, student of aviation and aviation accidents. What happened to Art happens to many.. too many! Increasing elevation of terrain, lowering of ceiling/visibility. Non instrument capable airplane.

I hate to say it's as simple as that but in reality. It is.

Wayne
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

My instructor, years ago, used to tell me the three most useless measurable quantities in aviation were:
                                1. Runway behind me.
                                2. Air in the tanks.
                                3. Altitude above me.

In some ways he was wrong about the last one.
                                It seems the pressures and decisions that lead to this type of accident happen to even the best.
                                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                                X