Red Bull Air race webcast on Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red Bull Air race webcast on Saturday

My understanding, since we cover the Red Bull Series regularly in World Airshow News, is that Red Bull doesn't WANT to hold the event in the same place every year. They want to have a U.S. event, but not in the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce

Why are race results up on AAFO long before they are at airrace.org? Why is there no POST-air race video available on the net? Why does ANN not have any info about the 2005 Reno Air Races? Why is Reno nothing more that a 100 word side-note in most of the AvMags? Why has the future apparition of rocket races received more press than real, live, documented, tangible, air racing, which faster, historic and (as I see it) much more spectator friendly?
      g.
      Why, or in this case why not? RARA

Ooops, probably should have posted as guest. I'm trying to keep a low profile.
      Bill Garnett
      InterstellarDust
      Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Originally posted by AIRRACEFan63
        Red Bull should look at what Landers is doing...maybe there is a future here.
        You got that backwards...............RARA should look at what Red Bull is doing............they are a marketing giant! If RARA were to do half of what Red Bull has done in marketing in the last two years, who knows were air-racing would be.

Landers has the right idea and I believe that he is going to have to push RARA aside and go full steam ahead. RARA will never be able to keep up, and they are going to need to learn how to work with Landers instead of the other way around.

Comment

Don't want to jump on any bandwagon but... driving through the area this year coming in, and looking at the stands and throng of people at the races from the outfield, I'm totally amazed at the "happening" that the Reno Air Races are!

I may not agree with everything that RARA does but they sure seem to be able to make it happen year in and year out.. It is the longest running air racing venue in the history of the sport.. Agree or disagree, they have to be doing something right..

Flame proof suit on..

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by King
            You got that backwards...............RARA should look at what Red Bull is doing............they are a marketing giant! If RARA were to do half of what Red Bull has done in marketing in the last two years, who knows were air-racing would be.

Landers has the right idea and I believe that he is going to have to push RARA aside and go full steam ahead. RARA will never be able to keep up, and they are going to need to learn how to work with Landers instead of the other way around.
            This is exactly it. You have a successful marketing plan that someone else has already paid for. Now why don't the organizers; RARA, Tunica, Las Vegas, etc work together for the common good of air racing and, as an added bonus, their own event will benefit too.

I'm sure some are willing to work with others. Perhaps the ones that are willing to work together will, and leave the others behind.

Granted Red Bull has an constant cash flow. But if air racing were to have 4-6 events through the year, with all the organizers willing to contribute to a common marketing fund dedicated to the benefit and advancement of the sport, then year round cash flow would be obtained. What is needed is a big sponsor to establish an "name of sponsor" Air Racing Cup.

RARA does make it happen and they put on a good show. I just think they can do much more.
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
              Don't want to jump on any bandwagon but... driving through the area this year coming in, and looking at the stands and throng of people at the races from the outfield, I'm totally amazed at the "happening" that the Reno Air Races are!

I may not agree with everything that RARA does but they sure seem to be able to make it happen year in and year out.. It is the longest running air racing venue in the history of the sport.. Agree or disagree, they have to be doing something right..

Flame proof suit on..

Very nicely put.

I have never had a really expirence at reno. It could be better like everything else. Nothing is perfect. I am just happy to be able to go to the races every year.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
                I am just happy to be able to go to the races every year.
                Jarrod
                That is the reason Reno itself works. There is a small group of avid fans who bring thier friends to Reno...........and they come every year.

I repeat SMALL GROUP OF AVID FANS................if this thing was marketed correctly, we all would have a hard time getting around the venue at Reno and Pit Passes would be a hot item (if you could get them at all).

We all would like Reno to stay a "small group of good friends" getting together every year for a party, but what is best for air-racing in general?

RARA needs to go away and let a real group of marketers take over and make this thing work. RARA can stay on as a consulting body on how to do the Reno type thing, but they should not stay in total control of the air-racing scene.

They have proven that they are not in support of other venues and would rather have everything to themselves. If they were not this way, we would see air-racing as a larger, more main-stream sport. I believe that sponsors would start looking at this sport with more interest and support these poor guys pouring thier hearts and money into thier airplanes just to race once a year.

This thing could be huge with the right marketing and support. RARA is not that marketing group.

Just my 2cents

Comment

RARA definetly has a great event but the marketing dollars are looking at other venues. I've heard Landers is in meetings with P&G and other national sponsors to have them at the ready to support his events. The guy has the right attitude with the fans and the pilots. If you ask anyone of the pilots that went to Tunica they'll tell you they had the best time they've ever had at an event. And that comes from many of the unilmited pilots that were very skeptical.

I think Landers is ready to raise the bar. It may take a while, but he's moving things in the right direction. And he's smart enough to listen the the likes of a Red Bull and other national sponsors and be just abit leary of the RARA guys. The guy is a showman. Who knows though. We all want other races....we need to support the crap out of the little guys....everyone starts small. It is those that listen and adapt that'll grow.

Comment

anyone watch this, I for one was kinda impressed with the whole webcast thing. Rara should be into something like this, but I totally understand the difference between a 2 hour race and something that goes on for 4 days, but wouldn't that be sweet for Rara to webcast the races, maybe just the gol heats on Sun. Just a thought

bf1
                    One more blade and a little less roar, Team Rare Bear ROCKED in 2004 !

Comment

Let me first say, I didn't get to go to SF to see the live performances, and I didn't get to see the webcast either. But I have seen at least one of the webcasts done by Red Bull. So I have to imagine that Red Bull must treat the 'broadcast' like any other 'televised' sports event. With the appropriate equipment and people, live 'broadcast' shouldn't be that difficult, just expensive to pay all the people that can produce 'broadcast' quality imagery. It must be like a 'carnival' for the staff with all the equipment to setup and break down all over just a few days.

Does anyone remember when ESPN used to air coverage of Reno, those weren't even live . . . but obviously it would still be expensive to pay all the people to produce 'broadcast' quality coverage ... We don't see Reno on TV anymore, air racing must not have enough 'mass appeal' or what ever the TV people look for to judge their results ...

Other forms of racing are popular, is it that air racing doesn't have a race every week that keeps it from being more popular ? Can we make any kind of assumptions based on the 'appeal' Red Bull has generated ? For that matter, who of the competitors that come to Reno would want more than one event a year ? I know that Tunica should be considered part of the air racing 'scene', and Nellis had exhibition races last year, and someone brought up the 'little guys', does F1 or Biplanes race more through out any given year ?

I apologize for the ramblings, but I'm new to aviation and it's 'competitive' side, but can easily say I'm a fan, but I'm a pilot too. When I watch auto racing I can easily imagine myself behind the wheel, for air racing to be popular is this same ability to imagine yourself in the cockpit necessary ? And as a last thought, what is it we would like to see, more events ?

sgt

Comment

Originally posted by sgtpilot
                        Does anyone remember when ESPN used to air coverage of Reno...sgt
                        Yeah, and ABC, and I was going through some old Air Progresses' and they used to regularly cover air racing and Aerobatic competetions in there "Competetion Scene",
                        WHAT HAPPENED...?
                        By the way, feel free to ramble, that's what we're here for, (group therepy).

Paul

Comment

When I was a kid I remember seeing Reno on ABC'S "Wide World of Sports".

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                            When I was a kid I remember seeing Reno on ABC'S "Wide World of Sports".
                            As do I.
                            Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                            My Photos
                            My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
                              Yeah, and ABC, and I was going through some old Air Progresses' and they used to regularly cover air racing and Aerobatic competetions in there "Competetion Scene",
                              WHAT HAPPENED...?
                              By the way, feel free to ramble, that's what we're here for, (group therepy).

Paul
                              True...but I don't think Wide World of Sports is on anymore....and Air Progress hasn't been published for at least 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                                As do I.
                                Me too. But then, for some reason I can't remember what else I was going to say, BECAUSE I JUST TURNED OLD! Just ask Brad. HAH! ME PLEEEEEEZ!
                                Bill (aka: Air Race Addict)
                                Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Working...
                                X