Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cook book recipe for a modern day V12 ! !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cook book recipe for a modern day V12 ! !

Any point making a 2-stroke aka Rolls Royce Crecy

"Subsequent single-cylinder tests[12] achieved the equivalent of 5,000 brake horsepower (3,700 kW) for the complete engine".

Comment

Really late to this party. Help a guy out here (gettin' old sucks) what was the name for the X-24 that the Brits used in the Typhoon? I know the H-24 was called a Sabre. Was thinking of a tooled-up current tech X-24. Also, someone mentioned a Do335 pull/push arrangement...I think that deserves some investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
        Really late to this party. Help a guy out here (gettin' old sucks) what was the name for the X-24 that the Brits used in the Typhoon? I know the H-24 was called a Sabre.
        Both the Hawker Typhoon and Tempest used the H-24 Napier Sabre. Well, most variants anyway. There were some Centaurus powered versions (Tempest Mk II) but that was a radial.

Perhaps you are thinking about the Hawker Tornado? It was a Rolls-Royce Vulture (X-24) powered Typhoon but was officially called Tornado. The Rolls-Royce Vulture, and a few other projects, were cancelled at RR's request so they could concentrate on the Merlin and Griffon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Vulture
        Last edited by W J Pearce; 02-10-2012, 02:34 PM.
        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
          Both the Hawker Typhoon and Tempest used the H-24 Napier Sabre. Well, most variants anyway. There were some Centaurus powered versions (Tempest Mk II) but that was a radial.

Perhaps you are thinking about the Hawker Tornado? It was a Rolls-Royce Vulture (X-24) powered Typhoon but was officially called Tornado. The Rolls-Royce Vulture, and a few other projects, were cancelled at RR's request so they could concentrate on the Merlin and Griffon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Vulture
          Thanks Bill. Just the info I needed to search for more info on the engine.
          No time to develope a new engine when demand for Merlins was at an all-time high.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
            Thanks Bill. Just the info I needed to search for more info on the engine.
            No time to develope a new engine when demand for Merlins was at an all-time high.
            You are welcome. I can try to find more info if you want but from my memory it was a Ernest Hives (General Manager RR) deal. RR felt they could work out the issues with the Vulture, and those issues cost a few aircraft and crew, but Hives said that RR can make 3 (or something like that) Merlins for each Vulture. Overall, RR also felt that the Merlin could be developed for a lot more power and the Vulture would not have the same ability. Hives asked the Ministry of Aircraft Production (or whatever) to drop the Vulture. They agreed. Hives was a smart guy in many ways.
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Following your lead, I did some reading. Seems that (for the time) the complexity of the engine and arachic cooling system designs, coupled with demand for Merlins (hey, there's a WAR on)..it probably was best to cease developement. But advancements in metalurgy, oil and coolant technology, engine management systems, etc....maybe a X-24 could work now. As with this thread....just what direction does the unlimited class take to push the envelope?

Comment

If the jet engine hadn't been invented when it did we would have seen some pretty big and unique recips in the air.

There were quite a few monsters on the drawing boards or in development that were cancelled when most aviation powerplant engineers were re-directed to designing turbojets.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 02-10-2012, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Another quote from Hives: The price of progress is trouble.......

Comment

Working...
                  X