Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Galloping Ghost

Originally posted by Propellerhead
    Thanks Shawn. That's where I thought I read it, but decided not to wait until I got home to check the facts. It's a helluva story that more people need to know about.

Rob
    There was an extensive article (I think it was called "All the Kings Horses") in the January 1981 issue of Air Classics about the rebuild/incident too. Still by Tegler (since he was at the airport when the accident happened), but much more extensive than the account in Gentlemen, You Have a Race.

Jeannie had parts from 7 or 8 different aircraft on it, and most of them in various colors of faded o.d., zinc chromate, or dirty, unpolished aluminum. She looked like an old Ford Pinto...but she had enough to set a speed record and outrun the best Crocker and Whittington had to offer in the final.

Comment

My Dad reminded me of something that Mac Mcclain had 1 min to spare befroe the Dead line for entries that Year Shawn

Comment

If I remember right, Mac flew over Stead, as Shawn said 1 munite before the deadline, dropped down on the course and qualified before he even landed.

If I'm wrong someone correct me, but I do remember it was a very big thrash to get the plane there, and they made it by the skin of their teeth.

Danno

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
          If I remember right, Mac flew over Stead, as Shawn said 1 munite before the deadline, dropped down on the course and qualified before he even landed.

If I'm wrong someone correct me, but I do remember it was a very big thrash to get the plane there, and they made it by the skin of their teeth.

Danno
          No, he just landed.

Comment

It must have just been the excitment of being my first year at Reno that clouded my memory a bit.

It was neat to see their hard work paying off with a win.

Danno

Comment

he quilfyed that afternoon shawn

Comment

I do not know if it has won any other times. (?)
                It has won at least once as the "Galloping Ghost" at Cleaveland, I think in '46.

Comment

National Air Race Results at Cleveland for Galloping Ghost

1946 Thompson Trophy Race: 4th Place 364.655 mph

1947 Kendall Trohpy Race: 1st Place 384.602 mph

1947 Thompson trophy Race: 4th Place 360.840 mph

1948 Thompson Trophy Race: 2nd Place 365.234 mph
                  only three of ten starters lasted to the end of this race

1948 Tinnerman International Trophy Race: 1st Place 362.245 mph
                  1st and 2nd place were seperated by 56/100 of a second!

1948 Sohio Handicap trophy Race: 4th Place 315.623 mph

1949 Sohio Trophy Race: 4th Place 376.719 mph

1949 Thompson Trophy Race: 4th Place 381.214 mph

In all races that The Galloping Ghost raced in the Postwar Cleveland, she always won money! Steve Beville gave us a very interesting presentation on modifying and racing the Galloping Ghost at one of our SARH symposiums and was very willing to talk about his war and racing days.

Kenn Smith
                  Attached Files
                  May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

The story of Jeannie that year is a legend.
                    When we asked around for her we were told she had crashed, would'nt be there. Some said she was coming, nobody was sure. As the deadline got close most of us gave up on her. When she arrived, it was so close that most of thought she had missed the deadline by a few minutes, our watches were wrong!
                    She looked like hell, qualified slow but came back to look and run as a winner in the end. Great stuff!

Comment

Ok the newest National news letter has a story on specter and galopping ghost back form 1983 hope you all get to read it all the best shawn

Comment

hey ryan, since you can't go back race 77 what number will be on her?
                        heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Originally posted by matt
                          hey ryan, since you can't go back race 77 what number will be on her?

The Swami knows the answer to this one, young matthew.....

It will be restored as Race 77 for display and 51 weeks out of the year...however, when it comes time to register it to 'race', it will be as #79 (as in N79111).

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
                            Ok the newest National news letter has a story on specter and galopping ghost back form 1983 hope you all get to read it all the best shawn
                            Sorry, I'm a little slow here. What is the National news letter? Can I get it at a news stand?

Thanks,
                            Jarrod

Comment

sorry for my typo its the National air racing group news letter fo rnag members shawn

Comment

Originally posted by paintboy
                                Wanted to get your opinions on Jimmy Leewards announcement to bring back the Galloping Ghost? I for one think it has been a long time coming. You go Jimmy!!!!!!! Looking forward to seeing her next year.

Dave
                                I just spoke with Jimmy yesterday and will be getting a lot more information on the project. They are FULL on with it and unless somethng goes terribly wrong, we're going to see the airplane THIS YEAR as planned!

I'm sOOOOOooo! Pumped by this project!

More as soon as possible..

Wayne
                                Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X