Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smallish bugatti racer !

Originally posted by Juke View Post
    cf seems to absorb when used with foam sh****ads of epoxy into the foam in/during vacuum sacking.
    One word: pre-preg

Comment

That is the problem with carbon you can't make it thin enough to beat the thinnest plywood in weight.

I would use it ( carbon ) as bondage material...and even so cf seems to absorb when used with foam sh****ads of epoxy into the foam in/during vacuum sacking.

I am trying to study a new method to make a really lite and durable construction...80% foam / 15 % plywood / 5 % CF ( in volume ).
      Shhhh.... Don't tell Jon Sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
        Shhhh.... Don't tell Jon Sharp.
        That is right..he'd make yet another record using this system. I don't if you don't.

http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Duramold was used in the biggest aeroplane ever made ( and flown )...that is treated wood.
          Not because it was a superior or lighter weight material, because aluminum was going to the war effort and simply was not available to build the H2. "Aluminum Goose" just doesn't sound right anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
            Not because it was a superior or lighter weight material, because aluminum was going to the war effort and simply was not available to build the H2. "Aluminum Goose" just doesn't sound right anyway.
            Spruce Goose wasn't spruce either, but birch. DH Mosquito was ply-balsa-ply hybrid.
            I have friend here who makes ply-foam-ply structures for amphibian with vacuum bagging....forms almost like carbon..ply is 1/32 in and 1/42 in thick...I am going to be using 1/64 in thick on my small single seater PPG engine plane.
            Wood could be the way of the future and it is eco-friendly ( eates CO2 emissions ). I prefer it only as small doses since I think carbon is needed to get it really stiff and hard....and foam to make it really lite...so a hybrid sorta. Ther are lotsa pieces to be cut with laser or water, but still lot less than in the 20ies to 50ies as they build more planes outa wood alone.
            Last edited by First time Juke; 03-08-2012, 12:42 AM.

Comment

That is silly..F1 race cars are made of carbon because they have complex shapes and they go 360 km/h and when hit the tyre wall it causes -50 G accelarations.
              Silly? Aircraft also are made up of critically sized complex shapes, go FASTER than 360 mph and hits things just as hard, whatever that means (deceleration speeds from an impact has WHAT to do with this discussion?.

Have you seen a Sleek Streak rubber band powered model plane fly when made of carbon...I didn't think you'd seen one...: )
              You mean a toy airplane? Oh c'mon now.

No, little $3 rubber-band powered model toy planes are made of wood because it's cheaper and simpler to make, not because it's a superior material. But note that carbon fiber HAS entered the model aircraft world.

My "Blade MSRX" RC micro helicopter can make use of such materials, and does. Many large scale model fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters are made of carbon fiber these days. I have yet to see a wood helicopter, though some cheaper models have plastic-covered wood blades for cost reasons. The more expensive models have carbon fiber blades for superior strength to weight ratios.

Duramold was used in the biggest aeroplane ever made ( and flown )...that is treated wood.

If you mean the Spruce Goose, take note that it was made of wood only because superior aluminum materials were scarce due to wartime needs, and CF materials didn;t exist yet. not because wood was decided to be the best choice overall.

Name one case where wood was selected over carbon fiber because it was thought to be superior, not because of alternate material availability or high cost. Just one case please.

Wood could be the way of the future and it is eco-friendly ( eates CO2 emissions )
              Wood is the way of the past, not the future. And ripping down even more forests for wood building materials is far from ecologically friendly.

Trees only absorb co2 and expel oxygen when they are alive, not when they are sliced, shredded, compressed into molds under heat and pressure and sealed with glues.

P.S....I'm still waiting for the name of that guy you claim flew the XF-84H to supersonic velocities (never happened), and of whom you claimed you corresponded with personally. You walked away from that question without replying.

Your claim:
              ...I actually was in e-mail ex-change with the pilot who flew the (XF-84H) prop version supersonic...really nice gentleman and an american hero of course.

Who is this "hero", and when did this amazing feat, unknown to all aviation experts, occur? If you are going to make outlandish statements like these, then you need to back them up with facts somehow.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 03-08-2012, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Wow AirDOGGe, you remind me of myself when I get frustrated with someone on matters of principle.

Now if we both could just build our forbearance with people out of carbon fiber, we'd be even stronger, and yet more flexible.

Would people learn as much from us: NO

Would we save a heck of a lot of typing time: YES

for·bear·ance   /fɔrˈbɛərəns/ Show Spelled[fawr-bair-uhns] noun
                1. the act of forbearing; a refraining from something.
                2. forbearing conduct or quality; patient endurance; self-control.
                3. an abstaining from the enforcement of a right.

Can you say "superior modulus of elasticity" ten times fast?

MODULUS OF ELASTICITY:
                A ratio of stress to strain. Used in engineering calculations to determine rigidity and deflections. The higher the number, the more rigid the item will be for a given load. The units are in pounds per square inch (psi).

Carbon is groovy man...

P.S. Thanks for helping me laugh at myself, Chuck Roundy
                Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Originally posted by C_roundy View Post
                  Wow AirDOGGe, you remind me of myself when I get frustrated with someone on matters of principle.

Now if we both could just build our forbearance with people out of carbon fiber, we'd be even stronger, and yet more flexible.

Would people learn as much from us: NO

Would we save a heck of a lot of typing time: YES

for·bear·ance   /fɔrˈbɛərəns/ Show Spelled[fawr-bair-uhns] noun
                  1. the act of forbearing; a refraining from something.
                  2. forbearing conduct or quality; patient endurance; self-control.
                  3. an abstaining from the enforcement of a right.

Can you say "superior modulus of elasticity" ten times fast?

MODULUS OF ELASTICITY:
                  A ratio of stress to strain. Used in engineering calculations to determine rigidity and deflections. The higher the number, the more rigid the item will be for a given load. The units are in pounds per square inch (psi).

Carbon is groovy man...

P.S. Thanks for helping me laugh at myself, Chuck Roundy
                  NP CR !

Airdogge..Sleek Streak is a very small and cheap...and also not very fast rubber band model. I used make'em a lot as a kid...6-8 years old.

I like carbon...just like I like a good beef on my meal, but I also like to eat potatoes and bread as well. A good zip of akvavit or snaps also gives me a steely voice sometimes.

Comment

NP CR !

Airdogge..Sleek Streak is a very small and cheap...and also not very fast rubber band model. I used make'em a lot as a kid...6-8 years old.

I like carbon...just like I like a good beef on my meal, but I also like to eat potatoes and bread as well. A good zip of akvavit or snaps also gives me a steely voice sometimes.

'Nuf sed I guess.... Now I'm hungry after reading that last bit and heading for the kitchen....Beef stew, here I come!

Yo, CP....

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 03-08-2012, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X