Air race web sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Air race web sites

Those Back Straight bums, or "those Freeloaders" might also be considered true air racing fans, since they pretty much only get to see the racers, and don't really get to see the "Show" . Yet they still support the local economy by shopping in the stores, buying local gas, and still attend a couple of days in the stands, buy souvineers, beers etc. Maybe those back striaght bums can't stand one more day of that GBJones announcer fella, maybe they can't stand a british (or whatever) accent. Maybe they like bringing thier dogs, and children in their motorhomes.

Or maybe just maybe all they care about is Warbirds flying at over 500 MPH just over their heads.

But know this, I have been in attendance to every Reno Air Race since the beginning, except for 3 years I was in the Service overseas. My father had part owner ship of a P51 for several years, and I personally met most of the racers at one time or another, and have experienced every aspect of the Reno Air races short of actual team membership and Air time. And All I care about, anymore, is being along the Fenceline at racetime. That's where the excitement is. I still enjoy the grandstands, and lord knows the "pits", but not for the full week thankyou. My family and friends will continue to enjoy the Races from the vantage point we enjoy the most. And sitting in the stands all day, wiating for BGJ or GBJ whatever his name is to get the words mispronounced in his bastardized english, is not what We go to Reno for.

I bet if you talked to anybody along the fencline, their story isn't going to be that they are too cheap to pay at the gate, What your going to hear, is That they are there because that's were the excitment is, the action at the fenceline might only be second behind the action at the pylons.

So we will continue to be at the fencline for as long as the BLM allow us, and after that we will return to the grandstands if that's the only other option.

But unfortunately, I beleive the end is near for the Warbirds, if not for the future of the RENO races themselves. So fo me it's very important to attend every possible second of air time around the course. Cause friends it ain't gonna be around that much longer.

Have you ever been woken up by Dago Red at 0630 on a sunday morning, going 500 MPH , 50 feet over your camper??? Oh yeah, that's where we'll be! http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/images/icons/icon10.gif
    Talking

Comment

Hey AirDOGGe- I was bored so I "chopped some wood" out of one of your old shots. What do you think (be kind- I'm an amateur!).

Comment

I dont have a set siting place i am hoping to get there early sunday. it get good seats in the SEA OF ORANGE. aka the crazys.if you look on the web site there is a pic that some one sent me of sunday last year (big group pic from the box seats) im the one standing in the isle with his son. but ill be at the fence line (in orange) thurday-saturday for the final race i think we have a bunch of meet and greets starting before the races.its on the section3 message board www.geocities.com/renosection3/index.html
        www.renosection3.com

Comment

Hey AirDOGGe- I was bored so I "chopped some wood" out of one of your old shots. What do you think (be kind- I'm an amateur!).
          You did a real nice job.....Now see if you can remove the creases and finger smudges visible in that old photo (lol). I "airbrushed" a few flaws out before posting them, but only did a half-decent job.

Take notice that these shots were made BEFORE the race course was changed (shortened).....The planes were nearly level when they passed by on that long stretch, but as you can see in the FENCELINE videos, you usually only get bottom views of the plane now, as they tend to remain banked to the left. You can still get pretty good shots of the slower planes in a level attitude though.

I can't recall which year during the 80's, but in one race Tsunami was forced to the outside of the course, and actually was approximately 100 yards to the OUTSIDE of the fence line as he passed by....That was the only time I found myself on the inside of the race course, technically speaking (heh heh).

Here's a few more late 80's back-stretch photos, somewhat retouched (please pardon the quality). As you can see in pic#4, "Blind Man's Bluff" didn't finish the race, having to pull out with a bad cylinder...
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
            Bill,
            I've never seen your site untill last night. Awesome! Great photos! Easy to navigate. Super eBayer. AAA+++

Race 29
            Thanks two-nine. Always nice to get feedback, even better when it is positive!

eBill
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Yes it is so good in fact i put a link on my site and have given the site out to who ever will listen (has the counter blown up yet?) I even have Bearfan1's web site on there.... i just hope bear will have more videos in about 26 days to put on the site ( hint hint) keep the sites coming guys
              www.renosection3.com

Comment

<<Always nice to get feedback, even better when it is positive!>>

Well here's some more then. Nice site and great pics. I gotta ask though: In the Voodoo site there are a couple pics at the end that show the racer with the stock canopy but an apparent forced landing with the prop in full course pitch and an inspection door/latch open on the cowl during rollout. What's up with that? Has to be a fairly recent photo.

GP

Comment

Originally posted by Section3guy
                  Yes it is so good in fact i put a link on my site and have given the site out to who ever will listen (has the counter blown up yet?) I even have Bearfan1's web site on there.... i just hope bear will have more videos in about 26 days to put on the site ( hint hint) keep the sites coming guys
                  It would be a real good idea to remove all of the copyrighted photos and graphics you have lifted from airrace.org. And you might want to familiarize yourself with US copyright law before you build Web sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                    I gotta ask though: In the Voodoo site there are a couple pics at the end that show the racer with the stock canopy but an apparent forced landing with the prop in full course pitch and an inspection door/latch open on the cowl during rollout. What's up with that? Has to be a fairly recent photo.

GP
                    Thanks GP!

That Voodoo shot was taken during the Sunday Gold race last year. Voodoo's engine popped and Matt Jackson brought her in dead stick with some slight windmilling of the prop, but it was nearly stopped. The inspection door I believe is the oil check.

There are many little things that you only notice when a racer is frozen in a photo.

Glad you liked it,

Bill Pearce
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

It's never cool to post photos, videos, graphics and such on one's website without permission from the copyright owner, author, artist, etc.... Many folk would consider that outright theft, or at the minimum, poor judgement.

I'm an administrator at a few off-road truck gaming forums where I have to deal with kids "stealing" 3D computer models and artwork, posting or uploading them as their own work, or at the very least uploading them without permission from the true owner. The gaming forums I mentioned have a strict policy about seeking permission first, as do I.

I've even found some of my own models uploaded to other game websites, crediting the person who stole them as author....I know what it feels like. Fortunately, most website hosts will correct the situation when I contact them and direct them to my own sites so they can see my work and verify my protests. A tip of my hat to them.

NOTE: I just checked Section3guy's link, and his site appears to be down.....I get a "can't find page" message now when I try to access it. I guess the situation here has been rectified by him (good form if you did so bro) or by someone else. (That, or my browser is going bonkers again!)

------------------------------

In response to "unregistered" speaking for the fenceline folk, no need to defend them from my statements. When I say "free-loaders", I'm quoting terminology I have heard used by many others, who weren't actually trying to condemn or be insulting. Apologies if my text came across as so.

Even I had a favorite t-shirt I bought out there in '97 with the "back-stretch bum" moniker on the front that I wore proudly, both within the gates and out on the straight-away. (I finally wore it out after several seasons of attendance. if I wore it now with all the holes it acquired, I'd REALLY look like a bum...)

No insult ever intended to any of the fellow dust-eaters (if you have ever been out there, then you know what I mean by that name). I have quite a few die-hard friends who spend the entire week+ out there, from pre-qualifying-day Sunday to post-gold-race-day Monday, and I never feel any ill-will towards them. Like I said, I've been a regular fence-sitter myself for quite a few years, and have spent many a night bunking down in the brush with the resident red ants who seem to like my tent so much (and who have quite a nasty bite!).... I've baked in the sun waiting for the next race, and have froze my a** in the chilly desert nights. I consider EVERYONE who attends regularly a true air-race fan.

But I do feel everyone should at least hit the stands/pits/consessions at least ONE day of the week, IF it's possible . Spending funds at the pumps or buying supplies at nearby stores is fine for the locals, but does little to support the event itself. We all must do our part, no matter how small, to keep the races alive and breathing as long as we can. I've made the trip before while unemployed and nearly broke, and was glad just to be there at all (thanks to some wonderful and generous friends who left a car seat available for me ). I didn't feel bad about not buying an entry ticket, because I could not do so. Doesn't make me or anyone else any less a race fan.

If finances say that spending a little extra cannot be done, that's fine. If family or some other situation prevents you from getting it, no worries. Seeing the races is the first order of business, and if possible, try to make a contribution the following year. Just do whatever is within your means.

(P.S.....no kids, but my beloved dogs attend with me every year....Makes it tough to get in the stands, but I always manage to do so. Some of my buddies bring their "4-legged kids" as well, and we take turns baby-sitting.)

OK. Sorry for being so long-winded, but I didn't want there to be any misunderstandings. Hope everyone makes it up there and has a great time, may the good Lord watch over all,.... and Wayne, VERY sorry to hear you won't be able to attend this year. My sincere best wishes...

Comment

I've noticed that the issue of copyrighted photography has been a contentious issue at this site.

It is possible for a photographer to display his work on a website and still retain copyright protection. An example is Tyson Rininger's excellent site:

A "right-click" on any photo on this site results in a reminder that the image is a copyrighted work. It is impossible to down-load any image from this site without paying the copyright holder.

The technology exists to protect copyrighted photography online, yet many web-site developers fail to utililize these tools. A digital photograph is a file. If you upload this file without code to secure it from duplication or distribution, it will inevitably be duplicated and distributed.

Tim B

Comment

Actually, even with such protection, a picture can be obtained from a webpage using a screen capture program instead of a right-click of the mouse.

Anyway, to me, it basically comes down to showing respect for each other. If you want to use a picture or graphic or model or song or whatever, it's very simple to ask the owner if you can do so. I find that when I make such a request, I almost always get a "yes" reply. If and when I ever get refused, I honor their wishes, as I would want others to honor my own.

Some people simply like to be asked first if someone wants to use what their efforts created. In my own case, I just ask that whoever uses my works post a simple credit alongside or included with the item, stating the origin or author of said item.

One can't expect everyone on the 'net to honor such a request,...that's not being realistic....

.... but as far as members of this forum are concerned, it can and should be expected. When we start helping ourselves to whatever we damn well please, many of these artists and authors and such stop posting and contributing their works for our viewing or listening pleasure, and we miss out on those items in the long run. I've seen it happen many times.

This is just my viewpoint, but I suspect most people feel the same way. At least I certainly hope so.

Comment

Yes all the problems have been fixed. And it was bad judgement on my part. But i am new at the web site making, and didnt know any one who take offence to it after all copying someone is a form of flattery.but in the end i was stupid i didnt check.And i apologized. I am working on a different web site for section 3 ill have it up in a few days.
                            Ill post the site here when its allmost done.All images i allready have ,have been approved.(Ok im learning now)Any way 12 days left till the races.See ya all there
                            www.renosection3.com

Comment

Fence line, yeah thats it. wow!!!!!

Now, while I come down off the ceiling, let me ask some questions,

how bad is the road. I don't have a 4wd, just a mustang convertible.
                              also, were you a platform. The view of camera seemed higher than the folks around you. I am about 5'8" and I don't want that damn fence in the frame.
                              I couldnt take the dust full time, but I am definetly going to check it out during the week.
                              Thanks for putting me on to it.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

how bad is the road. I don't have a 4wd, just a mustang convertible.
                                You should be fine. I've taken my '81 Monte Carlo out there before, and I see a lot of cars.....Just got to go around the pot holes.

Yes, the camera view was high up. Some of the regulars out there set-up platforms for a better view. It appears that the fenceline footage was shot from one.

My buddy and I are going to try and build a truck-roof-high wood platform for the back of his GMC, but I don't know if we will have the time to finish one (we have to come up with something we can build up and tear down to fit in the back of the truck along with all our camping gear, and it will have to be sturdy enough to support 3 adults minimum). Where's Tim Allen when you need him?

Comment

Working...
                                X