Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GOOD NEWS RARA Email: Seeking New Venue!: Where?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get the idea there are MANY racers who are ready to split from RARA and start their own series. The Sport class is already making their move. They have the green light to invite other classes to race with them as well. If they have a course for the fast Sports, then there will be a course for the Unlimiteds and jets. Honestly, I think the Sport guys should push to hold the World Air Race Championships, and Trademark "The Worlds Fastest Motorsport" since RARA has not.

The next few months should be interesting.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      Trademark "The Worlds Fastest Motorsport" since RARA has not.
      Will
      I spoke with RARA about that very thing, actually, I talked with their "PR" person and asked if they'd looked into trademarking that phrase because Red Bull "air races" was using it.. Their response was "oh we're so much better than them giggle" seriously??

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The sport class has an event in New Mexico next month. There's a speed limit, but it's something...

https://www.kitplanes.com/las-cruces...20requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
          The sport class has an event in New Mexico next month. There's a speed limit, but it's something...

https://www.kitplanes.com/las-cruces...20requirements.
          Yes, its a demo race, like the one in Madras Or last month. I think they have 5 over the next year in perspective cities that are interested in hosting a real race. I was actually asked to come shoot the race in Las Cruces, but I'm already booked every weekend of the month next month. If people can make it there to support them, it would be a good thing.

Will

Comment

From Tony Logoteta himself in an interview, the 6 potential venues are all in the Western US. I also heard Casper, WY mentioned. I don't think I've seen anyone bring up Casper-Natrona County International Airport. Looks like it could work? Just not sure if Casper has the accommodations and there isn't another large city within an hour drive.
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Casper has the space, and the airport does have multiple runways, as well as a plethora of abandoned runways. They have the ramp space, but it appears they only have one airport for anyone trying to fly in. That will make it tough for people to fly in if the airport is closed.

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                The Pueblo Chieftain newspaper had an article yesterday about PUB's bid. Unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall.

PUB has the runways, ramp space and open space. And some hotels, but if the turnout is large, some fans would need to drive from Colorado Springs. Is a 45 minute drive too much? My drive from Reno to stead was normally about 25 minutes.
                we used to drive from Northstar (Truckee) 50 minutes or so. Did that for 25 years.

Comment

Shorter then my drive into work that I did for 45 years......
                  May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                    The Pueblo Chieftain newspaper had an article yesterday about PUB's bid. Unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall.

PUB has the runways, ramp space and open space. And some hotels, but if the turnout is large, some fans would need to drive from Colorado Springs. Is a 45 minute drive too much? My drive from Reno to stead was normally about 25 minutes.
                    45min is shorter than the other locations I've heard being rumored (Wendover for instance). And that's 45min if you can't get a room right down the street in Pueblo which has pretty decent accommodations to begin with. This is still my top pick logistically for fans, as well as the airport layout itself has plenty of potential even if it isn't perfect starting in 2025. No idea how the weather is, but it looks relatively similar to Stead this time of year if they want to keep it in September.
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Short version:
                      Buckeye, Arizona
                      Casper, Wyoming
                      Pueblo, Colorado
                      Roswell, New Mexico
                      Thermal, California
                      Wendover, Utah

​Long version:

Six cities announced as potential future home of National Championship Air Races
                      Bidders responded to a request for proposal sent out by Reno Air Racing Association earlier this year

Reno, Nev. – Over fifteen hundred pages of supporting documents have been submitted by six cities vying to become the new home of the National Championship Air Races (NCAR) after responding to a request for proposal distributed by the Reno Air Racing Association (RARA) earlier this year. RARA is looking for a new venue for the event after announcing its departure from Reno following the final race in September. The world-renowned event has contributed over $100 million annually in economic impact to the region, while also establishing itself as the global standard for air racing. The National Championship Air Races is the only event in the world to feature seven classes of exciting air racing action in one incredible venue. Six closed-course pylon contests and the immensely popular and entertaining STOL Drag combine to create a motorsport experience like no other.

“Seeing the interest to host the National Championship Air Races at each of these unique venues gives me great hope for the future of air racing,” said Fred Telling, CEO and chairman of the board for the Reno Air Racing Association. “We’re looking for our next home, somewhere we can celebrate many more anniversaries, so we’ve assembled an expert committee that is putting an extreme amount of care and diligence into choosing our next location.”

The bidders that responded to the request for proposals include:

· Casper, Wyo. · Buckeye, Ariz.
                      · Pueblo, Colo. · Roswell, N. Mex.
                      · Thermal, Calif. · Wendover, Utah

The National Championship Air Races is a unique event that has called northern Nevada home since its founding in 1964, nearly 60 years ago. In the past 10 years alone, the event has attracted more than one million visitors to the region, generated more than $750 million for the economy and contributed significant aviation related education and outreach to schools and non-profits all around the area.

The committee researching the bid submissions is made up of RARA personnel from all areas, including operations, safety, security, business development and more. The race classes are also represented in the group and will continue to be an integral part of the selection process. At this point, the selection committee is thoroughly vetting the different proposals and will conduct site visits later this year. There are numerous factors to consider, but a few of the critical requirements for the event include considerable open land available for the racecourses, suitable runways, ramp and hangar space, administrative and security facilities, as well as proximity to hotels, commercial airports and restaurants.

“We only want to go through this process once and because of that, we’re going to make sure our next location is the best fit for the future of the air races,” said Terry Matter, board member and chairman of the selection committee. “Each of the bidders’ proposals were thoroughly prepared and completely addressed the RARA RFP requirements. We are so grateful for their initial attendance at the bidders’ conferences and at NCAR in September, and for the time and effort each one of them put into their proposal preparation. It is very exciting to know that our new home will be in one of these great cities. Soon our Site Selection Committee will visit these locations to further evaluate their ability to be the future host of the National Championship Air Races.”

A final decision is expected to be announced early next year as the organization prepares for a final air show in Reno in 2024 before moving to the new location in 2025. For more information and ways to support the organization, visit www.airrace.org.
                      Last edited by ZacYates; 10-19-2023, 12:20 PM.
                      Zac in NZ

Comment

I still see logistical issues with all of them except Pueblo.
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I'm hoping for Roswell

Once the aliens find out we're air racing they'rre gonna want to join in. The Extraterrestrial Class... only one rule - no visible means of propulsion
                          Mark K....

Comment

One of the great things about Stead is that it the crowd looks to the north. Not a show stopper to look into the sun but something to think about. Some of these venues look south through west.

Comment

In the 80's I attended an air show at OAK which has a west facing ramp. Facing the afternoon sun does not make for a pleasant experience.

Comment

I just did a quick google maps search of the six sites. I'm assuming access to commercial flights and population centers are high priority. Facility is a necessity.

Casper looks like it would work facility wise but it is the only commercial airport in the area and its 4 hours drive from Denver. How's that gonna work?

Too much suburb near thermal. Not much tarmac

Buckeye is close to Pheonix but is right next to the highway.... where does the course run? and only one runway

Roswell has plenty of space but is four hours from ABQ

Wendover is big, plenty of pavement. 90 minutes from Salt Lake. No neighbors to the south.

Pueblo has good runways, plenty of open space to the north. Crowd looks North. Under 2 hours from Denver, 45 min from Colorado Springs.

With no knowledge about the organization, politics in RARA, politics at the venue, money, the bidding process, or anything else, My bet is on Pueblo as first choice, then Wendover.

Comment

Working...
                                X