• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim58
    replied
    Re: Updates from Reno...

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    We will be more than lucky if there ever is another gold race, or any others at RENO ever again after this one.
    It feels like that Saturday afternoon in 99
    or any day in 2007, I too was yelling at the TV in disbelief. So So sad indeed.

prayers to all

"bye bye Miss American Pie"

Leave a comment:

• AirRaceFan
    replied

Originally posted by Bigger Al View Post
    It looked to me like there might have been a problem starting on the previous lap, as the 2nd place aircraft had to climb rather quickly to perhaps avoid contact. Things developed after that, and I sat up in my chair yelling "NO, NO, NO!!" as the pilot fought for control after the hard right bank. My wife was watching with me and it hit both of us pretty hard. I am profoundly sad.
    I saw the same on the prior lap and thought out loud "What the heck is going on there?"

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    We will be more than lucky if there ever is another gold race, or any others at RENO ever again after this one.
    I suspect you are right.

Leave a comment:

• ZacYates
    replied

This was posted on Facebook by RARA a few minutes ago:
    At this time we are gathering information and confirming details of the incident that happened today during the Jet Gold Race. We can confirm that only one plane was involved. The National Championship Air Races has suspended all operations for the 2022 event, and we will provide an update as soon as it?s available. NTSB and FAA will be investigating the incident.

Leave a comment:

• AAFO_WSagar
    replied

Originally posted by Lotahp1 View Post
    Any news? The live feed was cut after the accident in the Jet Gold and all videos are gone?very sad day in air racing. I guess all races are canceled after a accident so no Gold Unlimited race?

Leave a comment:

• Lotahp1
    replied

Any news? The live feed was cut after the accident in the Jet Gold and all videos are gone?very sad day in air racing. I guess all races are canceled after a accident so no Gold Unlimited race?

Leave a comment:

• AAFO_WSagar
    replied

A few folks have ID'd the plane and pilot on FB, please, wait a while for this to get to all of those close to the pilot to learn in another way than reading it here... Give it a few hours anyway.... Please!

Leave a comment:

• cheapskater
    replied

I was watching the live stream, L29s were close to each other and one corrected to the right and then appeared to veer to the left and then went in. No Midair. No collision. Not a visible structural failure. Maybe too may Gs on the course correction. Close to pylon 5 on the flats, not near the fence line, I just talked to my buddy who is on the fence line now and they are reviewing video they shot from there. Shocking end to the day. I was there in 2011 and this hurts almost as much.

Leave a comment:

• Bigger Al
    replied

It looked to me like there might have been a problem starting on the previous lap, as the 2nd place aircraft had to climb rather quickly to perhaps avoid contact. Things developed after that, and I sat up in my chair yelling "NO, NO, NO!!" as the pilot fought for control after the hard right bank. My wife was watching with me and it hit both of us pretty hard. I am profoundly sad.

Leave a comment:

• gv71
    replied

There is a video of it, that someone recorded off the live feed

Leave a comment:

• AAFO_WSagar
    replied

My Internet was down so I did not see it happen, however, I did see a replay over and over and looks like it was just outside pylon 6ish but RIGHT outside the stick, maybe 300' or so, hope everyone on ground OK!!! Sad day once again for Air Racing.

Leave a comment:

• Jim58
    replied

Prayers to family, friends and the team.

looked like it all started around 5-6. sad way to end a pretty darn good race week.

Leave a comment:

• Race 29
    replied

Just after pylon 4. It looked like he rolled 90 degrees to the right, then rolled left to rejoin the course. Prayers and blue skies.

Race 29

Leave a comment:

• ZacYates
    replied

It looked to me like the back of the course.

Originally posted by TarDevil View Post
    It made me sick. I'm still sick.
    Me too. My god.

Leave a comment:

• flyingjibus
    replied

Smelled that coming. Ugh. Can anyone please confirm that was put in the dirt before the VOS? The live stream made it hard to tell .

Leave a comment:

• TarDevil
    replied

It made me sick. I'm still sick.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X