• RAD2LTR
    replied
    Re: 2022 National Championship Air Races Photos

Will

Leave a comment:

• Lockheed Bob
    replied

Great shots. Really shows the various wing designs on the F1 shots. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

Enjoy,
    Will

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

Originally posted by wingman View Post
    These are indeed really well done compelling images, Will. Those smoky skies look really impressive!

Regarding the discussion of photography in another thread, your photos here show something really important. The equipment used is obviously of some importance, but what these shots really show is the importance of being there when other people are focussed on breakfast, or dinner, or whatever. Good photography is a matter of being there at interesting times in interesting light, and then taking the time to get it right. An old saying in photography is that the "magic camera setting" for geat photos is "F8 and be there". These images prove that...

Neal
    Neal,
    Thanks for weighing in. I agree, you have to be there to get the shot. That is the main reason I'm one of the first in the gate (usually) and pretty much the last out. Before and after the gates close are really my favorite times to be out there. In the case of the Bardahl shot at sunrise, I was actually late (slept through the alarm). Most of the people had already shot it and left. Still, I was out there, and rolled the dice on under exposing the shot then "fixing" it in LR after the fact. Clearly the idea worked.

As far as interesting light, it was really really tough this year. The mornings would sometimes be clear, or would start smokey, clear and then smoke up again. Because of this we didn't try and do any sunrise shoots. We got lucky on this. I think it was Tony Cruz (Deepsky) who set this one up. For all of the frustration in 2022, there were some really cool photo ops. Not many, and you had to be ready, but they did pop up. As you stated, you had to be there to take advantage.

from the pylons, there wasn't a lot you could do with the smoke.

If anything, I think the smoke made me learn how to minimize its influence with post processing. Often, a black and white shot was really the best idea.

For those people in the know, who is this gentleman helping Pete with Shanty Irish? He seemed to know his stuff, but I haven't the slightest idea who he is.

Will

Leave a comment:

• wingman
    replied

These are indeed really well done compelling images, Will. Those smoky skies look really impressive!

Regarding the discussion of photography in another thread, your photos here show something really important. The equipment used is obviously of some importance, but what these shots really show is the importance of being there when other people are focussed on breakfast, or dinner, or whatever. Good photography is a matter of being there at interesting times in interesting light, and then taking the time to get it right. An old saying in photography is that the "magic camera setting" for geat photos is "F8 and be there". These images prove that...

Neal
    Last edited by wingman; 01-17-2023, 01:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lockheed Bob
    replied

WOW Great Photos. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

Will

Leave a comment:

• kennsmithf2g
    replied

Misc Wednesday Unlimited Quals

Leave a comment:

• kennsmithf2g
    replied

Abby Road Reno Style

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

Will

Leave a comment:

• Pylon1_Mark
    replied

Awesome photos guys - thanks!

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

Enjoy,
    Will

Leave a comment:

• kennsmithf2g
    replied

quals

My 2022 National Championship Air Race picture albums. Still a work-in-progress

I like to take pictures to tell a story...sort of a document on life.... Life is a series of photos of events arranged by God. Each photo is my best photo and is unique and tells a story. Kennsmithf2g@yahoo.com
    Last edited by kennsmithf2g; 12-27-2022, 09:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kennsmithf2g
    replied

T6 Classic

Leave a comment:

• AAFO_WSagar
    replied

Kind of out of it right now but keeping watch, NICE STUFF thanks for sharing! Keep it up

Leave a comment:

Working...
X