X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRNDP51
    replied
    Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post

Why not fly out with the AC and switch at Reno? That is a good question that I can't answer. I haven't the foggiest idea why this couldn't be done. They have their reasons, and I'm guessing they will run what they know best.

Will
    They do have their reasons, but it seems like they just don't want a tube. From Rick not really doing tubes, to logistics to fly it from Oklahoma, to wanting to put time on the race engine during the flight, etc. I do appreciate the different schools of thought and hopefully we'll see how hard you can really push an aftercooled Merlin this year.

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied
    Originally posted by boomtown View Post
    I see the ADI gauge on the top tier of the cockpit panel. Question: If this is not a tube motor and uses an aftercooler, why run ADI? Or if it needs ADI, why not just run a tube motor? Hopefully some more knowledgeable on here (there are many!) can help me understand. THX
    Very astute observation. ADI will be needed anytime a Merlin goes over 60 inches from what I understand. That said, this engine should be good for 120+ inches, so ADI will be needed. As for the engine, its not a tube, it does have an aftercooler, but what is in the aftercooler is anyone's guess. Apparently, years ago, Kerch figured that the aftercooler could essentially be gutted and would give a good boost in power, but ADI would be needed. I have no idea what was done with Miss A's setup, but with Pete Law being involved, you can bet there is something clever going on with the aftercooler setup. The aftercoolers do get unhappy above 120 inches so we'll see what happens. (I also don't know what happens when the aftercoolers see more than 120 inches.)

Yes a Tube motor would be the higher hp setup, but apparently Doc doesn't like them. I can also guess flying a tube motor across the country would have all kinds of logistics issues since it would need ADI at every stop. Why not fly out with the AC and switch at Reno? That is a good question that I can't answer. I haven't the foggiest idea why this couldn't be done. They have their reasons, and I'm guessing they will run what they know best.

Will

Leave a comment:

• boomtown
    replied
    I see the ADI gauge on the top tier of the cockpit panel. Question: If this is not a tube motor and uses an aftercooler, why run ADI? Or if it needs ADI, why not just run a tube motor? Hopefully some more knowledgeable on here (there are many!) can help me understand. THX

Leave a comment:

• Bigger Al
    replied
    Re: Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Unless some sort of atmospheric miracle occurs, I don't think that my family and I will be going to Stead this year. We live in the area of the fire, and as such have had to deal with the smoke constantly since it started. I'd really rather not have my two young grandsons exposed to it all day long, and honestly am quite tired of it myself. Watching some of the live feed from yesterday, coupled with the AQI forecasts for tomorrow and Sunday, pretty much seals it. It's the first time in over 25 years that I will miss Reno, and I'm not too happy about it.

Thanks to all of the dedicated fans who are there and have taken the time to post updates and pics. See everybody next year!

Leave a comment:

• Pylon1_Mark
    replied

Originally posted by Curt View Post
    Mark....
    Are you in Reno ???

Curt
    No stayed home in OKC... with Miss A out and with someone still needing to cover the story - seemed like the right call at the time. With the smoke the way it is, might be more right than not.

Leave a comment:

• Curt
    replied

Mark....
    Are you in Reno ???

Curt

Leave a comment:

• ZacYates
    replied

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
    Brent intends on flying the aircraft about twice a month afterwards and up until the Pilots Racing Seminar occurs in June.
    Excellent news, bravo Brent. And again thank you Mark for your amazing coverage and to the team for their work (and for being so generous with allowing you to be part of it all).

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    News flash... This is racing. Things happen that can't be controlled. That is part of Reno. [...]
    I'm I disappointed the unlimited gold fizzled? You bet, Has the smoke been hard to deal with? Yes indeed. Am I still thrilled to be here? Absolutely. Just because you don't like STOL drags, or jets doesn't mean there isn't anything to see here. There is still lots to see, and plenty of good racing.
    Well said, Will.

Leave a comment:

• AAFO_WSagar
    replied

I managed to leave a post up that showed loyalty to a friend over good sense.

Mark Weir <sp?> is BigFoot an old crew on the Bear and other teams. I tend to allow posts by old timers and not question the content. Bad judgement on my part with this ill thought out decision on handling Mark's post..

No personal attacks, however veiled!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bigger Al
    replied

I will be there with my SIL and my grandsons. I would normally spend Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, but this year it's only going to be Saturday. Several factors play into this, including having a 5-year-old and 2-year-old along, and the fact that I am still on call for the Mosquito Fire. Still, Stead is where I go every year in mid-September, no ifs, ands, or buts. The lack of fast Unlimiteds is not good, but air racing is air racing.

Leave a comment:

• Reever
    replied

So, what was the reasoning behind the Yak being DQ'd?

Leave a comment:

• Matt58
    replied

For me personally, regardless of what happens to the racing field, I can?t think of any other place I?d rather be this week in September!!!

I get to unite with great friends, watch airplanes, watch people, and enjoy a cold beer or 5, while taking in everything the races have to offer.

Does it suck that not everyone will be there or be able to race? You bet it does and my heart goes out to those pilots and teams who just want to be there and be a part of it all.

But there?s no other place we get enjoy this type of event and I consider it an honor to spend my hard earned money and support this event!

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931 View Post
    "we're right at the beginning of the greatest week ever for the event that we all love"

Sorry to be sour grapes but where have you been the past 34 years? Hardly enough, IF enough Unlimiteds to fill one final race field, Fast Yak DQ'd, fastest Sports planes dropping like flies, stinking jets wasting time and bush planes the same. This is the poorest year in all of that time. I WAS going to come again to see Sherman and Czech Mate win the Gold but when they were lost plans changed. Bitterly disappointed the last 2 times there with only 9 and then 13 Unlimiteds and no real Gold field to race. I've been there for the greatest years and hope they will return again and this aint it by a huge margin! Maybe I'll come back if the Unlimiteds get exciting again and all the time is not wasted on place holders but for now glad I didn't waste my time and money this year. Sorry to rain on your parade as I see the skies doing that already and hope for you and the other attendees they clear up.
    News flash... This is racing. Things happen that can't be controlled. That is part of Reno. As for the sport guys dropping like flies, the top guys think they can get things fixed and be racing on Sunday. Does it suck seeing Scotty booted from the races without a second chance? You bet. That was stupid of RARA to let that stand. Still, there should be some great racing in the silver unlimited, and other classes.

I'm I disappointed the unlimited gold fizzled? You bet, Has the smoke been hard to deal with? Yes indeed. Am I still thrilled to be here? Absolutely. Just because you don't like STOL drags, or jets doesn't mean there isn't anything to see here. There is still lots to see, and plenty of good racing.

Will

Leave a comment:

• GeeBeeZ1931
    replied

"we're right at the beginning of the greatest week ever for the event that we all love"

Sorry to be sour grapes but where have you been the past 34 years? Hardly enough, IF enough Unlimiteds to fill one final race field, Fast Yak DQ'd, fastest Sports planes dropping like flies, stinking jets wasting time and bush planes the same. This is the poorest year in all of that time. I WAS going to come again to see Sherman and Czech Mate win the Gold but when they were lost plans changed. Bitterly disappointed the last 2 times there with only 9 and then 13 Unlimiteds and no real Gold field to race. I've been there for the greatest years and hope they will return again and this aint it by a huge margin! Maybe I'll come back if the Unlimiteds get exciting again and all the time is not wasted on place holders but for now glad I didn't waste my time and money this year. Sorry to rain on your parade as I see the skies doing that already and hope for you and the other attendees they clear up.
    Last edited by GeeBeeZ1931; 09-14-2022, 03:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AAFO_WSagar
    replied

Brent intends on flying the aircraft about twice a month afterwards and up until the Pilots Racing Seminar occurs in June. At that time plans are for Brent & Miss America to make their way to Stead so Brent can get some course time on the new setup, check the trim settings, as well as stage the aircraft for the race in September. That's right, the crew plans to leave Miss America at Stead after the PRS so that 2023 doesn't slip away like it did this year. It will certainly make it a lot easier on Brent, the Crew, and Rick - and it also all but guarantees what happened this year won't happen again
    WOW! Straight outta the Lyle Shelton Rare Bear playbook! Ahem, I remember a recent conversation with John Slack about this very thing.

This tells us that Brent "Doc" Hisey is totally committed to WIN RENO!

MissA= Super Stang in (god I hate to say it) sheep/s clothing??

Here's maybe better Super Stang cloaked in a flag of honor... Let the off season games begin before the event is even over!

Leave a comment:

• GRNDP51
    replied

Brent intends on flying the aircraft about twice a month afterwards and up until the Pilots Racing Seminar occurs in June. At that time plans are for Brent & Miss America to make their way to Stead so Brent can get some course time on the new setup, check the trim settings, as well as stage the aircraft for the race in September. That's right, the crew plans to leave Miss America at Stead after the PRS so that 2023 doesn't slip away like it did this year. It will certainly make it a lot easier on Brent, the Crew, and Rick - and it also all but guarantees what happened this year won't happen again.
    Amazing news!!! Guess I have to make my plans to go to PRS next year!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X