Stead Air Field 9-1-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stead Air Field 9-1-21

Drove by Stead to check out the air race prep. I asked one of the guys assembling the GA stands if there was more, he said that is it?

The underground utility work is done and banners are on the reserved stands, port-a-potties are there. Looks like there may be less than usual?

Re: Stead Air Field 9-1-21

GA stands 2012

GA stands 2014

Comment

Fewer stands...lower cost.

If this thing is gonna survive sacrifices must be made. It's happening across the board. BAU is a death sentence.
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
        Fewer stands...lower cost.

If this thing is gonna survive sacrifices must be made. It's happening across the board. BAU is a death sentence.
        I actually see this being a good trade off, but it?ll suck for the people that don?t know about it. RARA should say something about less general admission stands so people are more inclined to purchase box seats or grandstand seating. Save money on GA, make money on paid seating options.
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Hopefully we don't end up like the old Hamilton Air Races. You paid to get in the site, then paid again to get a seat, then again for a pit pass.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Thank you all for the effort and images.

Comment

Perhaps a very savvy move to keep expenses down in a year where it would not be too hard to predict less attendance than usual. All of the prep costs RARA a ton of expense money that has to be recouped by gate receipts.. a really bad year could kill the races forever (not enough money in the kitty to stage 2022.

Mike Houghton once told me that their margin is so narrow that a cold year, leading to less beer sales, puts them in the red!

Wish I could be three! Hope the year is absolutely successful and above all... SAFE!!!!!!!!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm actually surprised to see this. When we finalized our group with them they told me that they were already significantly ahead of the 2019 advanced ticket sale numbers. This was over a month ago.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerByPackard View Post
                  I'm actually surprised to see this. When we finalized our group with them they told me that they were already significantly ahead of the 2019 advanced ticket sale numbers. This was over a month ago.
                  One thing to keep in mind here is when decisions were made. I don't know the timeline on all the cost-cutting measures but I suspect much of this was put in place and locked in well before ticket sales started to reveal themselves.

It's a tough place to be. With the effects of Wuhan and the on-again, off-again nature of the governments response (both fed, state, and local), planning for an event like this is ridiculously challenging. Frankly, it's ridiculously challenging under the best of circumstances.

We're past the point of no return now. The event will happen. The logistics are what they are and we'll all have to make the best of it.

Travel safe, everyone. Let The Show Begin!
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post

Mike Houghton once told me that their margin is so narrow that a cold year, leading to less beer sales, puts them in the red!
                    Hot or cold, I try to do my part.

Comment

Originally posted by tim View Post
                      Hot or cold, I try to do my part.
                      Hahahahahahahaha! We do too!
                      "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

9-6-21

Lemmon Valley weather - Nice crisp morning 48? very light haze, had windows open all night.

Comment

I worked in yard all last 3 days and not too bad though maybe too thick for racing. Lots of tanker traffic to Dixie fire. Today is nice.
                          Sending out good vibes and keeping fingers crossed.
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                            I worked in yard all last 3 days and not too bad though maybe too thick for racing. Lots of tanker traffic to Dixie fire. Today is nice.
                            Sending out good vibes and keeping fingers crossed.
                            I like the trend!
                            Owen Ashurst

Comment

They?re finally getting a grip on these fires. Low winds and extra air support have really helped out. Containment lines have been holding for a couple days now. The visibility has been just fine for racing. I believe they need 3mi?
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
                              X