• Samuel
    replied
    Re: Rod's Projects

The video description says Fort Rucker, AL

Leave a comment:

• supercub
    replied

When and where was that video? I went in that Connie a couple years ago. As I remember it was in very nice condition inside.
    Brian

Leave a comment:

• Samuel
    replied

Looks like its been out of short strips before!

Lockheed Model L-749 Constellation.Personal aircraft of General Douglas MacArthur and was used by him during his time as Supreme Commander Allied Powers duri...

Leave a comment:

• Samuel
    replied

Sounds like it should be soon. I didn't realize the interior was that complete.

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Leave a comment:

• GRNDP51
    replied

Originally posted by supercub View Post
    Any word on when they plan to fly it out? Where will it go for rebuild?
    They're splitting the restoration into 2 parts and the first part in Valle is just to get it airworthy which should be done by the end of the month.

Part 2 will be taken care of at Chino, this will be the "clean-up" work I assume. They just want it airworthy to do the major work at the Chino facility.

Leave a comment:

• supercub
    replied

Any word on when they plan to fly it out? Where will it go for rebuild?

Leave a comment:

• Samuel
    replied

Don't foget Rod's Connie (although not a Super)

Lockheed VC-121A Constellation, First start up in many years, Sold by Planes of Fame Air Museum to Lewis Air Legends of Texas. Video taken at Grand Canyon V...

Leave a comment:

• Race5
    replied

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
    The slow nose case for the -3350 was developed for the L-1649 Super Constellation...of which only 44 were ever built. So there were never very many variants of that engine/nose-case built in the first place....and they had become exceedingly rare in the 20 years or so between phasing out the Super Connies and when Lyle &Co. reached the point in the Bear's program where they could use the slow nose case to maximize the horsepower that the Aircraft Cylinder & Turbine motors were putting out under Jack DeBoer's sponsorship. So it was a case of 'hoarding' whatever they could come up with.

The Dwelle's got ahold of one for Critical Mass. At one time Riff Raff had one. September Fury had one. But they're as rare as hens teeth. So that was why Rod had to buy the whole package just to get the nose case for the Bear. I am not positive, but I THINK at one point the Bear team had three of them. The idea being that you have two or three QEC motors with the nose case already attached, so you don't have to tear it apart and play with the gears if you had to swap engines.
    I believe Rod still has three, possibly four IF he got the one from Riff Raff. Lufthansa has the other four known to still exist for the Super Connie they are restoring.

Leave a comment:

• cragdweller
    replied

The slow nose case for the -3350 was developed for the L-1649 Super Constellation...of which only 44 were ever built. So there were never very many variants of that engine/nose-case built in the first place....and they had become exceedingly rare in the 20 years or so between phasing out the Super Connies and when Lyle &Co. reached the point in the Bear's program where they could use the slow nose case to maximize the horsepower that the Aircraft Cylinder & Turbine motors were putting out under Jack DeBoer's sponsorship. So it was a case of 'hoarding' whatever they could come up with.

The Dwelle's got ahold of one for Critical Mass. At one time Riff Raff had one. September Fury had one. But they're as rare as hens teeth. So that was why Rod had to buy the whole package just to get the nose case for the Bear. I am not positive, but I THINK at one point the Bear team had three of them. The idea being that you have two or three QEC motors with the nose case already attached, so you don't have to tear it apart and play with the gears if you had to swap engines.
    I would think that in this day and age of CNC programming and machining, the reduction gears for the slower ratio could be produced for less than the cost of three warbirds. If the case itself is different, that would be a bit more expensive, but still doable...

Leave a comment:

• Big_Jim
    replied

Originally posted by cragdweller View Post
    For a spare? Rare Bear already has the slow case, yes? And when I saw 232 at Reno last month, the only thing missing was the prop (swapped over to the Bear). Sad to see 232 relegated to a "parts plane"...

Leave a comment:

• GRNDP51
    replied

Originally posted by supercub View Post
    I believe that 232 has been for sale since last year. Seems like I just read that, possibly someone might be interested in her.
    Brian
    I wonder how gold wings on a sea fury would look??
    *cough cough*

Leave a comment:

• supercub
    replied

I believe that 232 has been for sale since last year. Seems like I just read that, possibly someone might be interested in her.
    Brian

Leave a comment:

• cragdweller
    replied

The only--ONLY--reason bought 232 in the first place was to get the slow nose case off of the R-3350 to use on the Bearcat. Mike Brown wouldn't just sell him the motor or the nose case...he had to buy the whole thing. So ultimately, 232 was never anything more than second fiddle. And I think Rod finally figured out that the return on 232 wasn't worth it when the Bearcat was the prom queen.
    For a spare? Rare Bear already has the slow case, yes? And when I saw 232 at Reno last month, the only thing missing was the prop (swapped over to the Bear). Sad to see 232 relegated to a "parts plane"...

Leave a comment:

• Lon Moer
    replied

Marilyn Dash is reporting that 232 is for sale;
    People have kicked the tires with their checkbook in hand, but nothing has been finalized.

Leave a comment:

• GRNDP51
    replied

Originally posted by SpinB View Post
    B-26 Marauder

....jussayin'
    He is right, my mistake.. Always get them confused, both rare and almost the same plane LOL. But yes, Rod's A-20 is what I meant.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X