X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiley

When's the last time you saw this ??
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wingman; 12-05-2003, 11:54 AM.

Comment

In 1984 Wiley also sponsored Race 68, the only B model ever to race at Reno. Flown by none other Than Skip Holm -- Skip's second ride at Reno.

I apologize for getting more than a bit off topic here, but Wiley Sanders is an extremely important figure in the history of modern Air Racing. I've always admired all he's brought to the sport, and thought it too bad that he's so little recognized today.

By the way, I believe he was brought into the sport largely through the efforts of the great Dave Zeuschel. Dave is another who is largely unappreciated these days. I guess that'll have to be another thread some time.

Neal
      Attached Files

Comment

P-51B-Farthur off subject

Skip flew Pete Regina's "Shangri-La" and struck a buzzard that year, passing thru the prop, hitting the horizontal, squashing the buzzard and the leading edge and adding to Skip's "kill" score...
        Pete built the plane up from a center wing section and some tail parts. Later owned by Joe Kasperoff and I think raced in 1991 by Skip ( I missed that year but remember photos of it in bright red), now in England with the Fighter Collection.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Pictures

Nice shots Neal!
          Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
          RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Cessna Connections

Right on the tip tanks! I didn't know about Sliker selling Cessnas, but I think Mac McClain was a Cessna dealer among many other things....

Neal
            Attached Files

Comment

Neal:

After looking John Tegler's book "Genlteman you have a race", Roy "Mac" McClain sold Cessna ag-planes in Eufaula, Alabama. He was another pilot who started in the T-6 class and ended in the unlimited class. According to Tegler's book, Skip flew Shangrila in 1982, the same year Dago Red & the Super Cosair first competed at Reno. John Tegler's book is awesome!

Keith Doyne

Comment

Slides

like Leo I have a multitude of photos that are slides, I did go to kinkos today and they do have a scanner that will do slides but I think u have to watch the size of the file so it can be put on here, can anyone help me on that. I have some p39 shots, I have a shot of Stiletto(color tile) going around the course with smoke streaming when the breather tube came off, I heard skip on the radio say that all the guages looked good but he had to pull out anyway, later in the pits Dave Z, in his white lab coat and shorts was looking at the motor and said there was nothing wrong with it, just was pumping out oil. Also have some of the Lear fans, yes 2, running, they flew 1 that year i think, also the abc painted Sabre, and a bearcat with a big G on the tail, number 98? Some photos too, does anyone know a good scanner to purchase that is compatiable?

Comment

scanner

By far the best scanner for negatives and slides in a Nikon Coolscan IV. Never used one, but have I have read a ton on this subject, and this is the scanner to have.

Comment

Re: Slides

Originally posted by Joe B.
                    like Leo I have a multitude of photos that are slides, I did go to kinkos today and they do have a scanner that will do slides but I think u have to watch the size of the file so it can be put on here, can anyone help me on that <...snip...>does anyone know a good scanner to purchase that is compatiable?
                    Joe, the file size is pretty liberal, meaning in the actual byte size of the files (I think it's set something like 170kb or thereabouts) the physical size of the files is limited to no wider than 600pixels to try to keep the board from side scrolling from images too wide to fit in the window with all the goop on the left that I can't figure out how to make smaller (did not write the board software, it's purchased/leased)

On the scanner type, the one that Tim mentions is about the best "consumer" scanner out there, from what I've read.. however, it's pretty spendy. I've got the "old" HP Photosmart one. While not being the best, it does an adequate job, for the money. I think you can find them for pretty cheap.. I believe Neal even has one he's no longer using that the publication sent him a few years ago. He might be willing to sell it.. or send it to me and I'll sell it to ya... could use the money... err... to pay for the message board, among other *stuff* (can ya tell I just did my "books" for the year??)

Wayner
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

scanner price

Not cheap, but $400-$500 used. Many are being dumped on Ebay, since people have no use for them when they go digital.

Comment

I believe that it was Dan Martin (Ridge Runner III) that said that its common for P-51 rudder trim tabs to come off in flight. I think he had a couple come off on him.

Hotdogger

Comment

scanner

thanks wayner, lol. I used to go on the hills where the start was for the races, you know where we are not allowed anymore. I have quite a few photos of planes on the course that are either even with or below me, including one of a b-25, and the a26, they are very unique and i would like to put them on here, have been going to the races since 77, this is an outstanding forum and a very interesting thread, thanks...

Comment

If any of ya'll have old Ar Classics laying around, there was a story (I think, by Jim Larson) about riding in the jump seat of that P-51B during a race. It was kinda short, but none the less great story. Had a few pictures of the back of Skips head also. It was the "Reno" issue from 88 or 89.

Race 29
                            Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Working...
                            X