No announcement yet.

a military question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting thread. I remember reading somewhere where they referred to the "tow" not necessairly as actually "towing" the airplane.

From what I read (it was a first hand story written by a combat pilot during Viet Nam) his airplane was so shot up, it would not hold enough fuel to get back to either his boat (sorry Navy guys) or his field... so the tanker "towed" him, supplying fuel as they flew hooked until he was close enough to fly his "seive" back to base/boat..

The actual towing thing, I'd bet, though, is true. Brave bunch in both airplanes ey!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The boom is held in the aircraft by hydraulically actuated jaws and will maintain a pretty good grip. I recall as a new Lieutenant in the F-16 we were being "dragged " cross country by a KC-10. The boomer was very experienced and confident and gave me a "demonstration". I got on the boom and was instructed to go to Idle power by the boomer. He allowed me to get to the aft limit, then pulled me forward to the Fwd limit while I was in idle. He then put me in the center of the envelope, and instructed me to go to military power (max without the AB) and he then pushed me back to the aft limit. After I reset the throttle to an appropriate power setting, he flew me to the left and right limits using his control authority alone. The KC-10 boom has a tremendous amount of control authority especially against the F-16. There is no doubt in my mind that it could drag an F-16 indefinately. I'm not so sure about the 117, it is quite a bit bigger and draggier airplane, and I never tried it. The KC-135 (B-707) boom does not have nearly the control authority of the bigger KC-10 system. I really liked working with the KC-10's, especially at night. The thing is lit up like the Battlestar Galactica.

-Ken Dwelle

Comment

Battlestar Galactica?

Sheesh, Ken....we gonna have to put "Starbuck" or "Apollo" on the side of your T-6 now or something? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
          Battlestar Galactica?

Sheesh, Ken....we gonna have to put "Starbuck" or "Apollo" on the side of your T-6 now or something? :-)

I'd vote for Athena or Cassiopea, personally...

:-)

Steve L.

Comment

.....A-HA !!

......finally the scource of that trick fuel they have been rumored to use !
            Mayday51
            Jim Gallagher

Comment

Working...
            X