Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What happened to September Fury?

Re rumours about Strega...

They may come from an interview on a local Reno AM station (780?) that I heard while driving into Reno the Wednesday of race week. In that interview, Tiger didn't actually say anything, but he hinted that Strega might be there next year; though quite possibly with a different pilot.

Comment

Re rumours about Strega...

They may come from an interview on a local Reno AM station (780?) that I heard while driving into Reno the Wednesday of race week. In that interview, Tiger didn't actually say anything, but he hinted that Strega might be there next year; though quite possibly with a different pilot.

Comment

What happened to Sept. Fury???

As we all know, the BS stops when the flag is dropped.

No one really believed that "Half a lap at 500mph" did they?

Comment

Next year will be a helluva year. RareBear, Dago, Fury, possible Strega, possible Wildfire and that crazy thing being built too. NXT will be there too for the Sport Class. I already cant wait!

Comment

Exactly, The year was 2001 can't really remember if the guys were flying or lying more that year. But Melody remembered it was that year, I had a broken ankle and she was pushing me all over the ramp. But any way that was the general conversation. I have been accused of many things but not necessarilly of being PC. Wayne, stay tuned my friend.
            John Slack
            John Slack

Comment

In regards to what happened to September Fury, this is what I know. Michael stated that when he pushed the throttle forward coming down the start shoot the racer started vibrating violently. He had flash backs to 2000 when the racers engine imploded and he was left with a dead aircraft. Michael pulled back the power and the vibration lessened considerably. The race was ran at just about 60 inches of manifold pressure. Michael did run down and pass Rare Bear on Saturday and it was a beautiful pass in the valley of speed. Nice move Michael! Michael is a competitor, but the teams priority was to fly ALL three racers home come Monday. They did exactly that. The cause of the engine problem was a broken exhaust stack. That is what I know.

Dave

Comment

This is kind of disturbing.

I'm a couple of days behind, sorry, I had to go to the in-laws.

A guy writes in and asks a question about September Fury's lack of pace, and gets slapped down because he apparently didn't give proper worship to Rare Bear.

We, the racing fans, have been asked for a few years to support the Bear, and we, I, have done what we could. I bought some shirts and hats. Not as much as others, but I did as I was able. And now there seems to be an attitude change in the Bear camp. Is this what we should expect from Team Bear now that they have notched another victory and put some money in their coffers? Very disappointing. So much for that the "Fan's Team" approach. Funny how winning can change one's perspective. Too bad it's not for the better.

Joe

PS to Wayne

I would be happy to use my regestered name, but can't remember the details.

Comment

That thing got a Hemi?

I've been keeping pretty quiet on this issue, mostly because I haven't cared to find out the specifics of who was running what, etc.

BUT.

It is a good opportunity to point out what I have been screaming to the people on this message boards for years: A 3350 powered Sea Fury, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO TO IT, is still a much bigger, heavier aircraft, with a hell of a lot more frontal area (aka DRAG) than a 3350 powered Bearcat.

It may look cool, it may be 'fast' on paper. But I'd say that the Rare Bear is probably 2/3 the weight of Sept. Fury, all up and loaded with liquids. It takes a LOT of horses to get that extra 1/3 going fast enough to 'win'.

Many years ago, The Doctor was crewing for Furias, and was asked about the 4360 and the power to weight ratio with the Sea Fury. And his comment was something to the effect of "Yeah, the 3500 hp is nice, but with our all up weight around 12,000 lbs, we could sure go for around 4000 to 4500 hp." The Sea Fury is a big, heavy airplane...and there is only so much you can do about that.

What's going to be faster? A big Dodge Ram truck with a Hemi, or a Dodge Charger with a Hemi? They both run essentially the same powerplant, right? But one is going to leave the other in the dust for the exact same reason...no matter how much you trick that truck out.

Who knows...it may be there. But until it happens, I am going to remain skeptical that September Fury is going to be able to 'outrun' the fast Mustangs or the Bear when everyone is up and running 100%.

(And before all you Sept. Fury fans start criticizing me...let me just say that 232 ranks right up there with some of my ALL TIME favorites, and I would LOVE to see it win. I'm just being realistic here.)

Comment

Re: The Hemi Thing

Weight vs. available Hp is a never ending battle being refined in aircraft in general. The points you are making Brad, are quite valid in my experience in the world of Commercial aviation and holds true in all aspects of aviation, I am certain. It's a matter for the engineers to work out in modifying the airframe to compensate for one or the other or both. The Sea Fury has an inherent weight problem. Unless Mike Brown and company can come up with a serious weight reduction program that does not, I REPEAT, DOES NOT compromise the structural integrity of the airframe, (we all know what I mean), I think 232 will win by being there at the end when everyone up front breaks or cuts a pylon or two for whatever reason, (ref: Dreadnought and Super Corsair wins), which is okay in my books too, because that my friends, (as was stated earlier) is racing.
                    Additionally, September Fury has definitely moved up a notch in my favorite all time list too. I do love to see some serious contenders vying for the gold on Sunday. I congratulate the Mike Brown team for a great showing this year and for their ability to fly everything home. THAT says a lot about their commitment to the sport and I thank them for that. I wouldn't throw in the towel on 232 getting faster, for sure.
                    Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Does anyone have an inkling of the wing loading of the Bear VS. Sept Pops? I seem to remember something, probably on this forum, about Tom Dwelle theorizing that clipping the wings on Critical Mass may have been a mistake, especially with a shorter course at Reno, since more time is spent pulling g,s and they felt that the increased induced drag from the clipped wing raised the total drag above what a larger wing (with less induced drag) may have created in the turns. Thrust to weight is obviously a huge issue as well.

Ron Henning
                      Ron Henning

Comment

" Michael did run down and pass Rare Bear on Saturday and it was a beautiful pass in the valley of speed. Nice move Michael! "

Yea, he passed the Bear but only after the Bear had to pull back on the power.

Then on Sunday the Bear went around him like he was tied to a stump. I'd say Nice move John!.

No one really believes the "500mph for half a lap" BS from last year do they?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                          This is kind of disturbing.

I'm a couple of days behind, sorry, I had to go to the in-laws.

A guy writes in and asks a question about September Fury's lack of pace, and gets slapped down because he apparently didn't give proper worship to Rare Bear.

We, the racing fans, have been asked for a few years to support the Bear, and we, I, have done what we could. I bought some shirts and hats. Not as much as others, but I did as I was able. And now there seems to be an attitude change in the Bear camp. Is this what we should expect from Team Bear now that they have notched another victory and put some money in their coffers? Very disappointing. So much for that the "Fan's Team" approach. Funny how winning can change one's perspective. Too bad it's not for the better.

Joe

PS to Wayne

I would be happy to use my regestered name, but can't remember the details.
                          Ahh... Well "Joe" I'm a little "miffed" in that, I can't watch the board and read these things when they come in and "validate" them within minutes, rather than, days, hours... whatever... anyway... if you can't remember your login info, email me (links on the site abound and will come to me... I don't want to put it up here again and get more "Spam" from the link) your email, and I can send your details to you via that information alone... otherwise, try joining again... not sure it will let you have two usernames on one email account though... (you may have found the board's catch 22...)

I'm also miffed because I don't really see where anyone got "slapped down" in this thread..

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: That thing got a Hemi?

Originally posted by speeddemon
                            A 3350 powered Sea Fury, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO TO IT, is still a much bigger, heavier aircraft, with a hell of a lot more frontal area (aka DRAG) than a 3350 powered Bearcat.
                            Hi Brad - educate me here bro.

I mean, the nose of the sea fury is as large as the nose of the bearcat... and we'll go ahead and say (just for grins) that the tail sections kinda balance out. So the big discrepancy between the two's frontal area (I assume) means the frontal area of the wings - which IIRC the bears are about twice as thick.

Seems to me this is about equal (the bear's short thick wings as compared to the sea fury's long, thin wings). Where am I going wrong in my comparision?

Reguardless, I agee 100% that the wieght is very much in favor of the bearcat... and with the course layout, it will favor a lighter aircraft.
                            Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra
                              Hi Brad - educate me here bro.

Reguardless, I agee 100% that the wieght is very much in favor of the bearcat... and with the course layout, it will favor a lighter aircraft.
                              DAMNIT, KALLIO! I TOLD YOU NEVER TO QUESTION ME ON ANYTHING I SAY!

Naw, just kiddin there, partner. Who's yer bud? Missed you there this year, man. Between you & Wayne both being gone, and Da Bear being banished to the hinterlands, I only had Paintboy, Neal, and Scotty to give crap to. Good thing Hacker, A.R.A., & FedEX Bob were there to keep me in line.

Your point on the frontal area IS well taken. And while I agree that the fuselage area is probably close to equal, I think the 'short & stubby' is still less of an area than 'long & thin'. But I am open to hearing from anyone who has done the calculations. (I HAVE been known to actually be wrong....from time to time.) :-)

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                                (I HAVE been known to actually be wrong....from time to time.) :-)
                                Ahh.... I didn't sleep that long last night.. How could I have missed the news?????

HELL HAS FROZEN OVER

Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X