No announcement yet.

Rare Bear WINS!!!! Dago cuts pylon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rare Bear WINS!!!! Dago cuts pylon...

It was an amazing race to watch. Coldest Reno Sunday I can remember, blowing wind and rain during the race. John was right on Skip's wingtip for the entire dive lap, and coming around the last part of lap one, the Bear was moving around Dago. It was obvious that Bear had the power to pass. Word is that John watched Skip cut outer 4 on lap two and pulled off the power, knowing that Dago had to beat him by 16 seconds to win. Really a great race to watch. Sept Fury must have had a problem because Mike was never really a factor. After the race, the bear was covered in hydraulic fluid underneath. The leading edges of Sept Pop's red wings were "sandblasted" down to the primer in places due to the 400 knot rain. The entire west end of the course was in a rain shower for the race. Have to give the Bear guys credit here, John had the power not just to stay with Dago, but to almost pass on the first lap. I wonder what effect the cold temps have on the two racers? Dago's prop was really buzzing in the cold air. Great race, and congrats to the Bear team. To go from pulling silver out of the cuno screen on Monday to winning on Sunday with the same motor is flat amazing!

-Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
      Thanks Triever for the quick report!! It's been confirmed on RARA's website. Any other results? Did Warlock win the T-6 Gold?

Race 29
      (wearing my Warlock shirt, drinking from my Rare Bear coffee mug!)
      Warlock won!!!! Woooo HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

yes warlock won with mary in the two of hearts right on his tail nice race. and the bear and dego was i awesome site. what a race!!!!!i heard the news walking with my family (well my son did the big bear fan) i thought it was a joke till i heard them say it. good job bear.bad job rara at least tell us the race was being moved up a hour. i all most missed the race.(ran all the way back to the stands) i missed the sept fury pass that bear made i heard i was pretty fast.
        www.renosection3.com

Comment

Anyone know what the race speeds were?

Comment

I know Dago Red's race speed was 469 and some change. The weather was extremely marginal with nearly half the course engulfed in rain showers. Visability was very difficult with many pilots saying pylon 8 was most difficult to line up on. It was one of the most esciting races I have seem in a great while. How the Bear crew got that performance out of an otherwise sick racer ( Blower reduced to jewelry and other mechanical issues) I will never know. The speeds were slower than the rest of the previous days with weather conditions being the greatest factor. This was truely one for the books!!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Section3guy
              good job bear.bad job rara at least tell us the race was being moved up a hour. i all most missed the race.(ran all the way back to the stands
              what was rara s'posed to do - send you a telegram?

Comment

Originally posted by paintboy
                This was truely one for the books!!

And I couldn't make it this year.

Congrats to the whole Rare Bear team. I hope to be there next year.

Clay
                Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

I was only able to make it Saturday and saw the Dago dominate the field in the pole qualifier race...But i'm ecstatic to hear that theBear won. Aweome job guys, they deserve it. We hit a lot of showers on the way back to the bay area, about 38 degrees in some areas...especially driving through tahoe and out through placerville. Weather was prety unusal too - good racing though!

btw-did it seem to anyone that the crowds had diminished from previous years? Was it just me or did it seem like there was less hype, and less fan-fare? Perhaps it was just me...

Scott Sobczak

Comment

Here ya go, racing in the rain.
                    At one point it was so cold I couldn't feel my fingers.
                    The sun did come out... just as they all landed...arg... burrrrrrr...
                    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Way to go Bear !

rgds,

Juke
                      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

So the Bear Wins on a Tech.

But could it have won or even caught Red me's think not all week they had some sort of mystery engine problem but I never read heard or say anything that really explain what was wrong witht the Bear.

As for the weather guys quite crying about some overcast and winds the show I was at we had Down Poors all day on Sat. and Sunday we had real low soup and most of the stuff is sitting still on the ramp. Has their been a Reno ever rain out?

I would like to see them run the Gold again and really see if the Bear is the winner. Ah the good old days when their was Racing around the Country.

Cheers RR

Comment

Congratulations to Team Rare Bear!

Rob R. From one of the guys that lost on a tech, I congratulate Team Rare Bear, I also congratulate John Penney who saw the pylon cut and at that point knew all he had to do was fly a good course not cut a pylon himself, and stay within a few seconds for the win. This is called smart racing boys, and yes even though I have been involved heavily with Team Rare Bear in the past, and even though my Dad owns the Team and airplane. I have been an integral part of the Mystery Aire/Dago Red engine building team for the past four years and my desire was for them to win. well, Smart racing prevailed. The object in racing is to win, sometimes knowing how the rules work to your advantage can help achieve that goal. After John saw Skip cut the pylon he knew he did not have to risk beating on the engine to get around the Dago, he just had to hold on to win. Personally as I have said in the past When the Bear is running right it can not be beat, Well the Boys on the team found the "Wright" can of whoopass this day good job guys.
                          John Slack

Comment

does any one know (not that it matters) but what pylon was cut i heard that #8 was imposable to see unless you were right on it?
                            www.renosection3.com

Comment

I believe it was pylon 4 on lap 2.

Rob R.,
                              I read that John Penny saw that Dago cut the pylon (he had the best seat in the house) so all he had to do was stay closer than 12 seconds behind Dago. I think that's pretty smart considering what an engine rebuild would cost if he pushed the speed up and (potentialy) blew the engine. Bottom line, Bear wins and gets the trophy and prize money, and everyone's healthy enough to fly home. I didn't read about any maydays, so it looks like it was a great year!

Race 29
                              Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

I was there as the lead pilot of the Oregon Air Guard F-15's doing the noon fly by. I also am a friend of John Penny, and spoke to him after the race. He rapidly closed from the 3rd position to just on Dago's tail in the first lap. He saw Dago cut pylon 4 on lap 2 and backed off. He said that the Bear was performing well and he felt he had plenty of power left to pass if he needed to. He talked to his crew and decided to not push the engine if it wasn't required. He actually faded back a bit and then closed again on Dago, showing that he could accelerate if needed.

THE BEAR IS BACK!

BTW: Did everybody enjoy the Eagles on Sunday? We were getting 8 to 8.5 G's in the pattern.

IN THRUST WE TRUST!
                                Skip Robertson

In thrust we trust!

Comment

Working...
                                X