question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: question

Wouldn't wing thickness affect the stall speed also?
    Jarrod

Comment

hmmm, 3000 lbs / 104.4 sq. ft = 28.7 lbs/ft.

this is how much clearance the props will have

like i said before there wouldn't be much vision but the pilot would better be able to see around the nose with this arrangement than a tail dragger.

lol, like i said gary, ask away man, these are problems that need solving, still though taxiing it will be hard to figure out.
      Attached Files
      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

What engine/prop do you propose? The current Merlins are just under 11.5ft. diameter on the prop. So, you need 6ft(minimum)from c/l of spinner for that engine.

I'm thinking at 3,000lbs total, you are looking at a smaller powerplant.

For weight and simplicity, I would consider the taildragger. A good pilot will have no problem weaving during taxi to see. With the swept wing, placement of the mains might still be tough.

GO

Comment

lol, good post old ramp rat (who are ya anyway if you don't mind my asking)

under 6 g's that 3,000lbs would shoot up to 18,000, meaning that the weight of that extra landing gear would be around 300 lbs. granted that's a lot of weight but still if i got rid of it the plane would weigh 17,700lbs, not a whole lot of weight loss, and the way the plane is designed is to not have to fly at 4-6g's on the course for the entire race.

about how the plane sits, you're right, it does depend on the pilot but any pilot will tell you that they like being able to see as much as possible.

i really designed this plane around the engine and exhaust system, if you look at the area in front of the wing it indicates engine size and turbo and exhaust arrangement. the layout is outdated though, the engine i intended to use never came to fruition. so i'm looking at a ford 502 which will provide more than enough power.
          heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Originally posted by matt
            lol, good post old ramp rat (who are ya anyway if you don't mind my asking)
            Wayne finally convinced me to go legit, changing user name to Apteryx. I'm by NO means an engineer, and math just hurts my head, but I've got 20+ years crewing and a few more helping out home-builders, so I draw from my experience & common sense, and I'm NOT a mechanic, but I play one @ Reno. Also of note, I haven't built anything of my own, (yet), wicked sinus infection wiped out my inner-ear, NO FLY without GOOD drugs....

I'm a good friend of test pilot, Dave Morss, and have had the privalage to go with him on several first inspection/flights. I try to stay out of his way, and observe, but on one occasion, I gave what I THOUGHT was a sub-audible "snerk" while inspecting a new wonder. The "published" designer waisted no time in telling me, HE was a GENIUS, and I was witnessing, the future of aviation....Evenually they managed to get the sucker in the air, once in 20 years. Sometimes you can be TOO smart.

Anyway, back to the subject, that 300lb gear now requires uplocks, pivots, etc...that will hold the extra weight.....

SOLUTION: no gear, Teflon skids on the belly and just dead-stick it in;
            (Germans thought it was a good idea)...OK taxing IS a B*tch.....

P.S.- cool looking design.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
            THE SKY'S THE LIMIT, well actually, it isn't anymore............

Comment

lol, well, come prs lets get introduced.

ya, dave's a good guy, lots of fun. i refuse to say this design is the "future of aviation" bad luck always seem to come when an owner makes that remark.

pivots and uplocks wouldn't cost me that much more weight.

so the question remains how would one steer?
              heh heh alriiiight

Comment

I don't know that much about airplanes but could you independently brake the wheels. Like brake the right wheel to make it go right.
                Jarrod

Comment

that's what differential braking is jarrod, part of the problem with a car type gear arrangement is that for differential braking it's too stable. it does not want to turn and causes extra wear on the gear.
                  heh heh alriiiight

Comment

[QUOTE=matt]
                    so the question remains how would one steer?

Look forward to meetimg you, going to TRY to hit PRS this year, at LEAST, (although flying days are over, (for a while), I hope, still have a lot of friends, up there. Missed TWO Reno's in a row now, then there was 2001......I FEEL the NEED.....................

Dave should be the one to pipe in here, he's flown a lot of UNIQUE, stuff.....but I've got about 100 hours messing around in Grumman AA-1 & TR-2's (free castering, differential brakes), with no problems, there's a few things out there with the nose gear off-center, I don't think IT would care. Still perfer a taildragger, but trike (off-center), doesn't worry me. Weight items mentioned not THAT big a deal, but especially in a racer, the fewer parts, the better. MUCH more fun SEEING them fly, rather then trying to make them fly, but looks like you've been there....

If your thinking of venturing in Unlimiteds, don't follow Sea Furies, the wake will knock the snot out of you, starts break'n stuff too....
                    They are the "speed-bumps" for the "little" guys.

(think about the skid idea, if you can swing Budweiser as a sponser, the Clysdales can tow the plane in, after they've unloaded the beer.... you'd be quite popular).
                    .................................................. ...................Paul

Comment

sweet, it'll be good to meet you.

i'm looking a little more closely at a trike config, i'm updating the design and in a few days hope to put it up.

lol, it is an unlimited but i don't intend to be *behind* any sea furies.

but not too popular with the clean up crew, hehehe
                      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

[QUOTE=matt]

but not too popular with the clean up crew.
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                        With all the bull sh*t floating around, don't think anyone would notice...

Comment

i'm getting a whiff of truth from that
                          heh heh alriiiight

Comment

i really designed this plane around the engine and exhaust system, if you look at the area in front of the wing it indicates engine size and turbo and exhaust arrangement. the layout is outdated though, the engine i intended to use never came to fruition. so i'm looking at a ford 502 which will provide more than enough power.
                            ----------------------------------------------------------------
                            There are several Mazda rotary powered ships flying, and now, one of the racing shops, is building a 3-rotar 900hp Wankle engine. If you can mate the drive systems, that would move your 3000lbs, right along....
                            (with less frontal area), I've got a picture of the engine, if I can figure out how to send it................................................ .Paul

Comment

i've gotten some interesting news on race engines recently and aircraft design. when i get more info about thte engines i'll put it up
                              heh heh alriiiight

Comment

i've gotten some interesting news on race engines recently and aircraft design. when i get more info about the engines i'll put it up
                                -----------------------------------------------------------------
                                Take a good look as well, at the photo's of Aberle's prop, in the bi plane class.
                                Always thought of props as sort of a black-art, (sure proved his on to something, though). REALLY would hate to prop the sucker....

If your changing your design, from a "crew" standpoint, rear engines make the airplane, SO much easier to clean.......... .......Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X