Galloping Ghost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galloping Ghost

Wanted to get your opinions on Jimmy Leewards announcement to bring back the Galloping Ghost? I for one think it has been a long time coming. You go Jimmy!!!!!!! Looking forward to seeing her next year.

Dave

Re: Galloping Ghost

Don't forget that he said he'll be coming to win, to be "national champion."

Comment

Anybody got pictures of this "Ghost" or is it one until we see it there?
      Randy Rheinschild
      www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

It is now named the Leeward Air Ranch Special. Last appeared at Reno in 1988 and was painted all yellow. This is the real deal and Leeward has a few surprises in store for the racer.

Dave

Comment

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/survivors/pages/44-15651.shtml

check it out...

Comment

I know this is picking nits, but 1989 was the last year for LARS, not '88. 1988 was the year he had the 'good' engine in it, and had the off-runway excursion during Saturday's 'mayday free-for-all'. Engine was toast, and he pranged the prop too.

The plane showed up in '89 with a stock Merlin 'borrowed' from JRS Enterprises, and a stock propeller, and as I recall, it ran in the Bronze (if it even ran at all).

Comment

Mayday:

The link does not appear to work. FYI

Thanks!

Tommy

Comment

Hmmmmmm lets try this:
                P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership
                http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

I think one year he lost the canopy when he started to quilfly shawn

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris
                    Don't forget that he said he'll be coming to win, to be "national champion."
                    This is great news!

As most of you know this aircraft has won twice at Reno as "Jeannie", and
                    once at Majave (1975 I think it was) as "Miss Candace."

I do not know if it has won any other times. (?)

Comment

Didn't one of its wins at Reno as Jeannie occur after the immortal thrash of all thrashes when it crash landed the week before? Does anyone remember the pilot? Was it Skip Holm (rookie win and new qualifying record 450mph) or Mac McClain?

Rob

Comment

it was Mcclain they had that rebuilt with in a week they got parts all over . you can read it out of John tegler book Gentelman you have a race one of my favriote stories Shawn

Comment

it was Mac Mclain they rebuild that in a week and quilfyed the fastest and won the championship, you can read that story in John Tegler book gentiman you have a race good story all the best shawn and i forgot to log in Shawn

Comment

Actually, they qualified sixth that year, and were lucky to make the 'lock in' for the Gold. And if anyone actually SAW what the plane looked like that year, man it was ROUGH and ugly. Once Sunday rolled around, though.....

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
                              it was Mac Mclain they rebuild that in a week and quilfyed the fastest and won the championship...
                              Thanks Shawn. That's where I thought I read it, but decided not to wait until I got home to check the facts. It's a helluva story that more people need to know about.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X