Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: True potential of the Ghost?

Default Re: True potential of the Ghost?

I asked a crew member of 177 while he was applying bondo to the leading edge of the wings on Thursday if it was 500mph bondo. He quickly replied with a grin, "526 theoretically".

And there you have it. 526 sounds about right and that pass confirms it.

"There's no whining in Air Racing!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Dog View Post
    And there you have it. 526 sounds about right and that pass confirms it.

"There's no whining in Air Racing!!"
    It was an impressive pass that looked easy to me (nothing is easy in air racing ) Looking back at Stiletto, they won on less power. That program ended before the full potential could be realized. I think GG was on the right track, and if they were pulling 526 on a stockish motor, that kinda proves it. I don't know how hot of a motor they were running but from what I have read in the past, it sounds like it was a well built stocker with some careful refinements. I have to say, from the videos I've seen, that bird was singing a really nice song.

If this is true, imagine what could be done on a similar platform with an Allison rod Merlin. The scoopless mustang still has yet to see its full potential.

Along the same line, Tsunami was fast with a less powerful motor as well. Blend the scoopless mustang with Tsunami and who knows what you get. I bet it will be fast.

Will

Mgbf4u: Sorry, I don't mean to offend. I'd MUCH rather spread smiles than discontent at a time like this. Just looking for some previously tightly held information from some people that may be in the know, and spread some smiles at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by sandramore View Post
    Thanks, I needed the chuckle. I wonder what quick comeback Jimmy would've had to that.
    I never met Jimmy, but I'd like to think he'd flash a coy smile and simply say "15 inches."

I would like to say that The Ghost sounded different than any of the other Merlins. Maybe it was just the acoustics of the scoopless Stang but, it was different. Not sure how to descibe it. Kind of a tame, scratchy growl. Not too lean but kinda mean. Does that make any sense? Whatever it was, it was cool. I do know that I was as thrilled as I've ever been about any racer on those last few laps. I've only seen laps like that in my dreams. I've always loved watching Jimmy fly and, as a kid, always loved the scoopless Stangs that have graced the course. This one was in the right hands.

You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Yes, there were going to be some GREAT races last weekend, and I was as excited as a kid in a candy store to be there to witness them. Just saw some numbers posted over on WIX:

"Speed around the #8 pylon - 500mph 102" MP"

Can you imagine if Jimmy turned the MP up to 120-130" like Strega? Buh bye!

Quote Originally Posted by Fence Sence View Post
    I would like to say that The Ghost sounded different than any of the other Merlins. Maybe it was just the acoustics of the scoopless Stang but, it was different. Not sure how to descibe it. Kind of a tame, scratchy growl. Not too lean but kinda mean. Does that make any sense? Whatever it was, it was cool. I do know that I was as thrilled as I've ever been about any racer on those last few laps. I've only seen laps like that in my dreams. I've always loved watching Jimmy fly and, as a kid, always loved the scoopless Stangs that have graced the course. This one was in the right hands.

It did have a different sound for sure. Sounded SWEET during qualifying from some unknown place I'd heard about. Both my young sons commented on it. Not the snarl of the others, more of a growling purr. I don't remember Stilletto having a distinctly different sound so I don't think it's (lack of) the scoop. Anyone have any insight on this? Different exhaust stacks maybe? Dago had a similar thing going on. Raspier than GG but different sounding than all the other Merlin machines.
    Last edited by hm66sk; 09-23-2011 at 12:20 AM.
    "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Was it a Merlin, or a Packard engine they were using.. It was my impression it was infact a Packard engine.

That would account for the different sound she sang.

The Packard Merlin was just a license built copy of the Rolls Royce Merlin modified for mass production.
    While the British were still hand lapping parts, we could have none of that. Had to have total interchangeability for speedy field maintenance.
    I don't think those relatively minor changes would completely alter the dynamics of the sound unless you did something like say changed the firing order and I don't believe that to be the case.
    And most if not all the Merlins at Reno and elsewhere in the US are Packard built with maybe the addition of some stouter Canadian heads and Allison rods if you're gonna go racin'.
    Last edited by hm66sk; 09-23-2011 at 01:11 AM.
    "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

From my experience with drag racing (every thing from pro stocks motors to funny cars) she definitely sounded modified not as Much as strega but not too far away in power levels.I think there was a 520 in her.Just my 2 cents,with inflation its ain't worth nothing.