Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Live feed for STS-117 Shuttle launch

Default Re: Live feed for STS-117 Shuttle launch

The main selling point of a flying Shuttle was suppose to be it's ability to return satellites for recovery or repair/re-use. This neglected the fact that most satellites that could have made use of this feature sit in orbits well out of range of the shuttle. And since Challenger they really limite what the bird was allowed to carry.

The other selling point of cheaper flights due to dozens of flights per year never happened. The machine is just too complicated and fragile to get it ready to fly again that quickly without drastically sacrificing safety.

But they do have their advantages. It will be a shame to see the Shuttles go, especially when we have no equally capable spacecraft to replace it.

NASA should develop Orion for crew transfers of course, but also keep a pair of the shuttles active for cargo, recovery and special duty use. Just put ejection seats back in the shuttle for 2 crew members and stop using them as oversized passenger transports with 6-7 life-threatened passengers who cannot eject in an emergency.

I'd love to see them use one to bring the Hubble Telescope back for the Smithsonian when it's lifespan is finally up, instead of just letting it burn up in the atmosphere. That mega-digital-camera (with one hell of a zoom lense) has done so much for us that it deserves to be preserved rather than destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
    It will be a shame to see the Shuttles go, especially when we have no equally capable spacecraft to replace it.
    Are you so sure?

Quote Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
    NASA should develop Orion for crew transfers of course, but also keep a pair of the shuttles active for cargo, recovery and special duty use. Just put ejection seats back in the shuttle for 2 crew members and stop using them as oversized passenger transports with 6-7 life-threatened passengers who cannot eject in an emergency.
    I couldn't agree with this more. I know it'd be expensive, but it's such a logical thing to do, given the inevitable prospect of delays or teething problems with ares/orion. It almost seems as if they've "finally" gotten the bugs worked out of the STS; kind of a shame to put it to bed so quickly if it may be of use.
    _________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

There's a book out there "The Rocket Men" that gives a little history on some of the key personalities but is a great history of Von Braun and his contempories before, during and after the war. The history of their rocket developments, their retrieval and exodus to the U.S. and the early development here. A lot of book (over 3" thick...) but great reading.

For those interested, the following link will take you to the NASA Skywatch site where you can check for orbital sighting opportunities in your area. Last time I checked, the shuttle was scheduled to undock from the ISS on Thursday giving some mere earthlings the rare opportunity to see the shuttle and ISS "fly" in formation.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata.../JavaSSOP.html

This is way cool! http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap070612.html

I guess the Shuttle doesn't need Sanders' "Smokewinders"!
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Had a great view from Orlando. It DID look that good. Reminded me of my younger days and evening launches from Vandeburg.

Quote Originally Posted by tuffer
    Had a great view from Orlando. It DID look that good. Reminded me of my younger days and evening launches from Vandeburg.

.....another who spent time at "Vandyland" eh?
    Mayday51
    Jim Gallagher