Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Global Flyer is on the way

Default Re: Global Flyer is on the way

Now there are serious concerns on whether or not he has enough fuel to complete the trip and land back in Salina. Seems it used over a ton of fuel in the first 3.5 hours of flight. They say if the good tail winds keep up he might make it.

Thumbs up Re: Global Flyer is on the way

Quite a ship. Lucky I saw this positioning window here before his trip is over.
    Haeding and speed seem to vary constantly 332 mph heading 86.2 last time I watched.

Well beyond Japan already. Text Hong Kong has now only ong visible : )

Go Steve Go !

Default Re: Global Flyer over the Pacific

Well, he's well out into the Pacific now. They'll determine if he should head on to California when they join up with him at Hawaii and check for leaks.

It really torques me that I can't find any real updates on the crisis they are having. Even the Mission Control website is pretty crummy as far as up-to-date decision making. Or maybe they are just waiting until he gets around Hawaii and can check him out.

This flight is suffering from Apollo 13 syndrome. It's like a news blackout until they announced he might abort at hawaii.

Grrrr!!!

Don

A mysterious fuel leak somehow caused the Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer to lose 2600 lbs of fuel within the first three and a half hours of the flight.

If Steve decides to continue flying after he reaches Hawaii, he would have to travel 2,610 miles before he reaches any landing space
    -----------------------------------

LATEST NEWS:

Mission Status: Steve says "Go for it!"

Steve told Mission Control earlier, that he was set on making for Salina, and would not be attempting a landing at Hawaii.

At 18:01 UTC when he reached Ferar, Steve broke the world record for "distance without landing" which was last set in 1962 by a B-52.

Mission Status: Steve says "Let's go for it!"

At 21:30CST (03:30UCT) Steve Fossett relayed by satellite phone to Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer Mission Control Director Kevin Stass "let's go for it". Strong tailwinds across the Pacific from the coast of Japan carried Steve between 100knots -130knots from the coast of Japan to Hawaii, bringing the round-the-world non-stop circumnavigation world record back within his grasp.

Steve Fossett, commented: "I hit the jetstream very well which has put us in a better fuel position. I have every hope of making it to Salina tomorrow."

Oh yeah,

Steve is way beyond Hawaii. Looking good so far. I hope he has got an autopilot and gets some sleep.

Doing 275 knots and heading 116.2. I bet he wants to see Los Angeles ! : )

rgds,

Juke

Wow !

Now he is at 46.501 feet altitude at heading 117.2, speed 276 knots.

Yippee !

Continental USA visible on the upper right hand corner. Wonder how far he can glide if the fuel is going to run out. He is at 46 600 feet now.

rgds,

Juke

Guess I should have put this link up ealier.

http://www.saljournal.com/globallog/

Thumbs up Re: Global Flyer is on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Juke
    Yippee !

Continental USA visible on the upper right hand corner. Wonder how far he can glide if the fuel is going to run out. He is at 46 600 feet now.

rgds,

Juke
    From the GlobalFlyer website, he can go about 270 miles from 9 miles up, about 30/1 glide.

Don