Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly a TF-51

Default Re: Fly a TF-51

Wayne,

Thank you for the warm welcome here.

I'm all singed in and playing with my profile.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ifxbonz
    Wayne,

Thank you for the warm welcom here.

I'm all singed in and playing with my profile.

Andy
    Cool Andy, glad to have you!! Nice shot... yours???

You know, you can upload here also if you like.. images will show up as a thumbnail, then click to view..

Feels almost like Florida up here (Pacific Northwest..) sunny and warm, bit humid today.. amazing for February!

Cracking the whip onmyself today... gotta get back to work!!

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar
    On the diagnosis.. it's been a while now, I've been done with the treatment for almost six months. Hair is back, I'm even starting to eat a bit.. The only reason I mention it is it's my way to try to help others who might smoke. I loved it while I did it, it gave me great pleasure, and it was a way I met a lot of folks.. going "out back" for a smoke and such...

But, it's not worth what it *can* do to your body... it's a hell of a price to pay, I'll tell you that!!
    Wayne
    Wanye: OT from Stephen's great thread, but the other life-shortening effect of smoking is emphysema. I've lost an aunt and uncle to it. They lost 5-10 years of life to smoking. As you say, think twice about starting or continuing to smoke. Peas

http://www.lung.ca/diseases/emphysema.html
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Peashooter
    Wanye: OT from Stephen's great thread, but the other life-shortening effect of smoking is emphysema. I've lost an aunt and uncle to it. They lost 5-10 years of life to smoking. As you say, think twice about starting or continuing to smoke. Peas

http://www.lung.ca/diseases/emphysema.html
    Peas, there is a whole host of reasons to not smoke!

The unfortunate thing about it for many of us is that at one time, it was not really thought to be that harmful. IMHO, this fosters the denial that many of us who did start live with.

I can not understand how it can be legal to smoke when so many other things that are not particularly more or less harmful are illegal. I can also not understand why the US Government subsidises the tobbacco industry?

Anyway... not to drag it on further OT... I do feel it important to "preach the sermon"... during a particularly low point in the middle of the treatment, when I wound up in the hospital quite ill, I sort of promised myself and ... err... whomever or "whatever" else might have been listening that if I were to be able to get out of that hospital and be normal again, I'd do whatever I could to keep the ills of smoking in front of people's eyes..

I have some very very dear friends who smoke or use tobacco products.. one has quit because of my problem! No, I take that back.... Two have quit, one a chewer who quit right then and there while we were on the phone the day I told him about it, another who smoked, had a tough time, had to take some drug thing but managed to quit..

It nearly brings tears to my eyes when I think about it.. I influenced TWO people to quit!

Neeeeexxxxxttt....

PS.. and for those of you whom I do bug about smoking.. PLEASE know that I do it because I care about you and not because I want to control your life! I know well how the thought process goes when you smoke, and I also know that you might well smoke forever and not suffer too badly from it. I pretty well suspected for a couple years that I *might* have throat cancer. I had symptoms but I was SO in denial, I would not go get checked out. My sore throat had once been missdiagnosed as Strep, I'd been given antibiotics, which did nothing, yet I still did not go further with the checks... I really did *know* deep down inside that I had it... I remember looking myself in the eye more than once in the mirror and just thinking... whooooooooBOY... this is NOT good.. yet, I STILL did nothing about it! When diagnosed finally, I made the doctor test me three times before I'd go forward with the treatment...

This is how deep the denial goes when you're a smoker.. "it can't happen to me" ...... God, what a trap! I wish so deeply that I could turn back the clock, I'll never be the same again. If I can save someone else my fate, I guess I'll take the risk to offend, even though I do not want to offend anyone..

So, If I bug ya about smokin... those of you whom know of whom I speak.. just remember I love ya!

Wayners,
    I don't think you really bug anyone all that much. If I were falling off a cliff, and you were pulling me up by one hand, I don't think I'd yell "STOP BUGGING ME"! I've accually cut WAY BACK on my chewing habit because of you. (Now would be a good time to invest in Trident chewing gum though, I'm buying it by the truck loads)! Thanks to you, I now at least have the belief that I can quit. Now I just have to do it, should be soon. Have I told you lately that your my Hero? You are the wind benieth my wings!

P.S.
    Is the Stallion 51 Elliott Cross the same pilot who used to fly with Jimmy Franklin? Great stick if it is!

Race 29
    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar
    It nearly brings tears to my eyes when I think about it.. I influenced TWO people to quit! Neeeeexxxxxttt.
    Wayne-
    You've HEARD from two people who have quit, there may be MORE out there. If not, you've help sew the seed, sometimes it just takes a while to germinate.
    I think we all know people who's lives have ended or been shortened, by the damn things.
    While you got the soap box, use it.....THANKS.....

Paul

"Is the Stallion 51 Elliott Cross the same pilot who used to fly with Jimmy Franklin? Great stick if it is!"

Same Elliott Cross.
    Great Pilot & Instructor.