Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nellis 2004 Pictures Link

Default Re: Nellis 2004 Pictures Link

Maybe some of you photos gurus chould teach a new guy behind the camera the ropes.(i might have a camera that is 1/4 of the camera you guys are useing)

Marl Kallio had a very good article on Pylon1.com a couple of years back -- maybe you guys could get him to exhume it... And Scott Germain had another excellent piece that I think is still on his site.

My best advice though is lots of film shot under lots of different conditions, accompanied by some careful reading of the great teachers, such as Ansel Adams, Galen Rowell, John Shaw, Michael Reichman, and on and on. Pay attention and you will be rewarded! Be aware though that doing it really well really consistently is a lot of work, and is not cheap, either.

Neal

Film?? What's that.

Seriously though, there is stuff all over the internet on photography. More and more though, it deals with digital only.

It really doesn't matter at all -- great photographs are great photographs! Most of the fundamental choices you have to make in doing it right are the same no matter what the medium. One downside of digital for many, though, is the instant feedback which in my mind is a two-edged sword. It gets awfully easy to substitute quantity for quality, and to keep shooting mindlessly in hopes of accidently getting it right eventually. Much better (but underrated these days) to understand what you're trying to do.

N

Section3Guy,

Stick to the fundamentals. Learn all you can about f/stops, shutter speeds, focal lengths, depth of field, light, etc. and how they relate to each other. Get yourself a camera that is completely manual. The biggest crutch for most people is to depend completely upon the camera to decide shutter speeds and apertures without understanding what the camera is doing.

...and take lots and lots of pictures.

Rick