Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini Me

Default Re: Mini Me

I know there's an R/C club in Reno... where it is I'm not sure. Let me check the AMA website.... Yep found one powered club in Reno and a glider club in Sparks, didn't have much more info than though.

I've been dying to bring a plane to Reno since I started going (87). I emailed the local club a couple of years ago (they used to have a tent set up behind the stands) but I think that they were told no way.
    Remember the sweepstakes they held every year for an rc plane in the 80's? (usually a Bob Hoover ol' Yeller replica or something similar).

They use to fly early morning on the hardtop in front of the crowds, but that stopped after several crashes. One quarter-scale biplane came down on the blacktop, right in front of my spot in the bleachers, and nearly hit one of the Snowbird aircraft parked there (it augered in between two of them).

Since that year (somewhere around 85-87), I have not seen any rc flying there, except for some folks who fly hand launched wheel-less planes out behind the fenceline area on the far left side of the track (though not during races, of course).

(P.S....Likewise at Moffett Field in the early 80's. A pylon racer lost signal, impacted, and slid in to the crowds, slightly injuring a child....No RC at Moffet after that...)

I know there is a Reno RC club that flies on White Lake (dry) in Cold Springs, met a guy in it on New Years, and the BLM hills to the west of Stead and Red Rock Always seemed like a good place. Plenty of gentle breeze for lift off the western slopes overlooking that lake.

If it were to happen again I'd be there with bells on. I fly at a couple of full-scale shows here in Michigan. Usually well away from the active or during no-fly in the mornings or specific times. We got tossed out of Willow Run because a 40% Edge went into the power lines and knocked out the power to the YAF pancake breakfast. If you're wondering what that looks like, picture a big brown cloud, with small burning pieces falling to the ground.
    Not intending to completely hijack this thread but if you're interested in what we're doing now, check out www.flyingcirkus.com check out the vids, especially the jets.... Joe's F/A-18 is increadible. Turn up the volume and listen to it when the gear closes and the "cheater" holes shut.

Chris

Flying at airshows... I organized and coordinated for our club to put on a display at the Travis AFB Air Expo for the three years prior to 2001. For the fisrt two years it was strictly a static display but the last year we actually got to fly. If you want to call it that.... the air show gates opened at 0800 and the airshow started at 0900, our flying slot was 0800 to 0830. I think we might have had a total of 5 people watching, sitll a good time. I am trying to get us in the show again this year (the first Air Expo since Sept 11) with a static display and a better flying slot, we'll see how things turn out.

When it blows from the West at Reno, we goes to RedRock for R/C slope soaring.

http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/attac...achmentid=3051

This is a 2-meter Multiplex ASW-27. There are almost always local guys from the Sparks club there as well. Best deal is to do the Gold Race at the VOS, then head right up to Red Rock -- with the exception of Sunday! Peas
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

I think it was either in 93, 94, or 95 I saw a guy fly a large scale rarebear early in the morning and then a quickie 500 tried to launch and nearly hit a few national guardsmen. After that I think it was nixed. I too have a thunder tiger rarebear still in her cave(box). I am itching at starting it soon!!. See yall in a few short 7 months....
    Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Back in the late 70's, early 80's they spun one into the grandstands. Thank goodness there were few there that time of the morning. It used to be fun. something to keep the diehards occupied during our lousy coffee.

That makes 3 of us with a TT Bear in the box.

I also have a Royal Bearcat done up as Pardue's Bearcat and I have a GP Learjet and GP Mustang 1/2 way bashed into Miss Ashley II. (the left over pieces will make a weird looking Learjet if I can work that out.)

I miss the R/C demos at the races but it's just too crowded on the ramp nowadays to fly with any safety margin. They could go out by the home pylon but then you couldn't see them.

I flew hanggliders off Peavine and Red Rock in the 80's. I haven't been over there with my R/Cs yet...I'll have to check it out. I have a 5 meter Ka-8e and a 4 meter Salto that would be cool to fly there if i could get them down to the lakebed to land. Guess I'll break out the Zagis and Mongo to top land

Don Hatten
    Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Don - I'd love to see a photo of your Miss Ashley II. When Keith Shaw started talking about doing a big electric Czech mate last year I immediately started daydreaming about a TF Giant Mustang kit bashed into Vendetta with a G-62.

Chris