Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why the Bear????

Default Re: Why the Bear????

Correct me if I'm wrong...

But it doesn't seem like it was that long ago that the 'Bear' was not only beating all, but also setting new records doing it. I believe that as they continue to improve their program, it's just a matter of time before the 'Bear' is consistantly winning again.

But I also admit that I do miss 'Tiger' Bill and Strega, and Tom Dwell and Critical Mass. It's the same feeling I had when the 'Bear' wasn't able to race. The races just don't seem the same without them.

Lonnie

It's kinda like football. Who do you find more physically fearsome, a quarterback or a middle linebacker? Racing Mustings are like quarterbacks, good looking, sleek, and win by finesse. The Bear is like a linebacker -- thick-necked, tough as nails and fearsomely powerful.

If you wanted protection in a dark alley, would you select Terry Bradshaw or Dick Butkus? In their heyday, of course! Peas

PS Yea! The Bengals WON today. (As if I really care. I'd rather be flying -- and I was...)

Here's the Bear looking across the line of scrimmage at you!

http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/attac...achmentid=3045
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Unregistered Guest

Unhappy Re: Why the Bear????

Hey Peshooter,
    Are you saying Bradshaw is good looking?

Good point! A face only a mother could love...
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Quote Originally Posted by MMPerk
    Correct me if I'm wrong...

But it doesn't seem like it was that long ago that the 'Bear' was not only beating all, but also setting new records doing it. I believe that as they continue to improve their program, it's just a matter of time before the 'Bear' is consistantly winning again.

But I also admit that I do miss 'Tiger' Bill and Strega, and Tom Dwell and Critical Mass. It's the same feeling I had when the 'Bear' wasn't able to race. The races just don't seem the same without them.

Lonnie
    I think you'll find that one of the reasons that the Bear was 'beating all' and 'setting records doing it' was the deep pockets of Mr. Jack DeBoer. John Penney or BellCobraIV might be able to shed some more light on the subject, but from 1986-91, they were sponsored by DeBoer, and had the money to do the development into the powerhouse we saw through '91. But then the money went away. And it's been a struggle to maintain that level when the well is dry.

Well i am a Dego fan,there is nothing like the sound of dego ripping up the air when he is close to flat out.But i also root for the bear (crazy?) I know that a non finish by bear on sunday might mean the reno icon might not be back next year.Plus if the bear does not make it one year im afraid the gold race might become boring.Bear is the underdog and i think thats why my son in a die hard Bear fan (traitor). its nice to see the underdog do good.And also Rare bear is a one of a kind , sets it apart kinda like Critical Mass.another underdog favorite of mine.another one of a kind , I whould love to see whould be White lightin
    i have never gotton a chance to see her fly (hope that she will fly again soon) .I root for all the planes.and a heathly race and every one safe.There is my 2 cents worth..(about 1 1/2 cents)

tz88 Guest

O.K. here's the deal for me with the Bear. It's like A modern
    Gee Bee!! Nothing looks more purposefull than A giant round engine with
    just enough fusalage to hold A cockpit and tail, and A pair of stubby
    wings! Also, as previously mentioned in this thread, the Bear really is one
    of A kind. Dago, Strega, and even voodo are all very similar racers. Not
    to mention the history, the records, and the whole fan sponsor deal.
    The only racer that ever exited me as much as the Bear was Miss Ashley II and unfortunately, she never got to realize her full potential.

the sound of the BEAR pushin it to the max, especially with the 3 blader, brings many goose bumps to my skin.
    You kind of gave my answer. The Bear is the meanest sounding racer out there. I actually had a female friend say the sound of the Bear turned her on (she didn't use those words). Funny thing, she hasn't missed Reno since I dragged her there in 2002, kicking and screaming...heheheheh.

The team, the plane, the sound...in that order. It wouldn't really be Reno to me if the Bear is ever retired.

Don Hatten
    Rare Bear Fansponsor
    Go Bear!

I pull for the Bear now because its been a Mustang show for so long, but my heart is really still with the Mustang airframe. Back in the 80s, I rooted hard for the Mustangs, Super Corsair, and Dreadnought and (kinda half-heartedly) rooted against that Bearcat that always won so much...

But after years of having the Bear non-competitive or not there at all, you want the field to be a little more level. Gotta have variety, and you HAVE to admire the way Lyle Shelton has hung in there and brought the racer back from the brink against such long odds.