Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Lightning

Default Re: White Lightning

A lot of talk on the other boards hoping that she'd "finally" be restored in a "correct" scheme.
    White Lightnin certainly carries colors with more history than most restored warbirds (no disrepect intended to the combat paint and the men and history behind them).
    I miss some of the civilian paint schemes, they made these combat planes look a little like the sport planes their owners saw them as. Some were quite attractive.
    Ah well, if I owned it I could make that decision....
    Should we start a pool?

Leo

I think puting it back to stock would be the same as putting Strega, Dago, Bear, or Miss America back to stock. These planes have made their own history in air racing.
    Jarrod

yes i like the air race paint better any way but putting a plane back to milatary colers after having a long race history whould not be right

I certainly hope that she's not put back to stock and hung in a museum. Fully 90% of that airframe's history is AS a racer, not as a warbird.

I would miss her, but I suppose it wouldn't be to bad to restore her to stock mil form, as long as you don't make White Lightning into a hangar or museum queen....That bird deserves to fly....

I loved seeing white lightning as a racer, but it never was competitive. leftly just raced her for the fun of the ride, so you either need to modify it drastically for racing (clipped merlin-powered Lightning?), or else return her to her original form, unless you have deep pockets and can afford to keep racing her as-is. (did White Lightning have a war history? Anyone know?)

I guess I'm been desensitized to the idea, once Stilleto was returned to stock form....Considering the mods that were made to that P-51, it was the last plane I would have expected to be converted back, yet it was....

Seeing her fly again would be great but knowing how much the family wants to keep it, at least some of the family, it would be very sad to see it leave the Gardner family. I had a lot of long talks with Ladd a year or so ago about it and he just has a real passion for the airplane. Having just about grown up in it, flying behind his dad, and then getting to get in the "left seat" so to speak when Lefty passed him the torch (umm... literally as it turned out) really meant a lot to him.

I have not spoken to Ladd in a while, I know they had hoped to either find a major sponsor or do something like what Rare Bear was able to do with fan sponsorship. Their road was a LOT steeper than the Bear's due to the condition of the airplane and the fact that it not only needed repairs from the accident, it needed, pretty much an entire overhaul down deep.

I'm sure it'd be a real blow to Ladd and Lefty both to have to give up and let go of the airplane.

Maybe time to dust off my phone list and find out where we're at now, like I said, it's been a while.

Wayne

strega704 Guest

i know thsi is a little off subject but, does anyone know whats goin on with strega...